=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Sj=F6berg?=

3/14/2002 4:26:00 PM

Is there a way to get the clients phonenumber (if he uses
a device with SIM-card) or any other specific
information. I want to identify the visitor and later be
able to charge the person.

Best regards,

Christian
1 Answer

Shanku Niyogi

Christian,

Getting the user's phone number automatically would fall under the category
of "privacy violation". :) Most phones do send a unique ID (or, more
accurately, most gateways send a unique ID for the phone, as determined by
the carrier), but there's no way to hook this back up to a billing system
unless you make a deal with the carrier. If you're going into a large
venture, you can talk to carriers about being a service on their portal, and
accessing their billing infrastructure.

A good independent alternative would be to have a desktop site where a user
can register, providing credit card information for billing. You can then
provide the user an ID and a password (PIN numbers are good for this). The
user can then access the site with a phone, enter the user ID and password,
and use the site, and you can track this usage and bill the user.

Shanku