problem with SCO Vision ODBC

fasulin_mat

10/6/2006 11:53:00 AM

I am working with SCO Vision ODBC (version 4.16.900.00). I try to
retrieve information from a data base with SCO Vision ODBC called from
a web service that runs at IIS.
I have this error:
'ERROR [IM003] Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error
1114 (SCO Vision ODBC).'
Could you tell me how can I fix this error?, do I need a most recent
version of SCO Vision ODBC? if a need a new version, how can I get it?.
I'm using winXP profesional, IIS V5.1.
Great thanks for your attention.

2 Answers

Gerry Quinn

In article <lzoda9tql9.fsf@bhaak.dyndns.org>, bhaak@bigfoot.com says...

> You should write unit tests and code alternating.
>
> First a small unit test testing that you see the 8 squares around you,
> then the code that implements that. Then a test that you can't see the
> square behind a boulder, then the code. Then a test that you can't the
> square around a corner, then the code. And so on ...
>
> This way you build your tests and code side by side and because of the
> tests you are sure that no regression can slip into you code.

It's not obvious that the simplest code to determine whether a square is
next to you will be useful in further work. Likewise with boulders and
corners.

I would sooner figure out how to do LOS properly, and implement it.

If I *were* to adopt unit testing for FOV, I would write LOS the normal
way (without tests) then test the more complex FOV function using the
LOS.

But in practice, I would just write the code to light up the area in
FOV, and if it looks funny, I fix it. Unit tests seem a waste of time
for something that will be visible and obvious.

- Gerry Quinn
--
Lair of the Demon Ape (a coffee-break roguelike)
<http://indigo.ie/~gerryq/lair/la...

zaimoni

On 2008-02-22 08:09:22, Patric Mueller <bhaak@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Kenneth 'Bessarion' Boyd wrote:

> >> You shouldn't write your tests before coding but during coding.
> >
> > Depends. Gerry was describing a case where the behavior wasn't well-defined
> > beforehand; it wasn't even *possible* to write the unit test before.
>
> I think we have here a disagreement about the granularity of the unit
> test.

Yes. I allow for non-atomic tests with subtests, tests that depend on other
tests working to even be valid, and so on.

> A unit test should be simple. The moment you have to start debugging a
> unit test it is too complicated.

That is a useless definition in my practice: I intentionally do two or three
debugging/proofreading passes on *all* code as I write them. If I'm in a
personally non-fluent programming language like Python, Java, or ActionScript I
bounce this up further.

One line, one statement is not too simple to escape this cultivated habit of
immediate debugging.

> > If the intended behavior is well-defined, standard Extreme Programming practice
> > is to write the unit tests first.
>
> Standard XP practice is to write the unit tests first *period*

True, I was restricting to when standard XP practice was *possible*. However,
XP degrades quite gracefully when not all requirements are possible; you just
use what you can.