CONNECTING TO AS400 via OleDb

pamela fluente

12/12/2005 1:17:00 AM

I would like to know if anyone has some experience connecting to AS400
via OLEDB. In particular I would like to know if it is possible to do
it with VB.NET and, if positive, what the connection string looks like.

Also I guess that the OleDb client interface is provided by the
producer, right? Or does one have to resort to third part tools?

Thank you very much.

-Pam

6 Answers

Paul Clement

¤
¤ Also I guess that the OleDb client interface is provided by the
¤ producer, right? Or does one have to resort to third part tools?
¤

The following should help:

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=87#OLEDBProviderForAS...

My guess is that you would need to contact IBM concerning the OLEDB provider.

Microsoft''s version of the provider may require their SNA service product (Host Integration
Server?).

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

pamela fluente

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much. I had already seen that page googling on the web,
but I also have read that many people have problems with the
connection. I have a reporting application which uses OleDb as general
protocol to connect to DBMS and takes connection strings. However so
far I had no chance to make experience on AS400. Since tomorrow I have
to go try to attach the application to the db of a client which has
AS400, I really would apprecciate some practical advise on how to
connect seemlessly to the db and any other suggestion you might kindly
provide.

Thank you very much.

Pam

Paul Clement

On 12 Dec 2005 14:05:59 -0800, pamelafluente@libero.it wrote:

¤ Hi Paul,
¤ Thank you very much. I had already seen that page googling on the web,
¤ but I also have read that many people have problems with the
¤ connection. I have a reporting application which uses OleDb as general
¤ protocol to connect to DBMS and takes connection strings. However so
¤ far I had no chance to make experience on AS400. Since tomorrow I have
¤ to go try to attach the application to the db of a client which has
¤ AS400, I really would apprecciate some practical advise on how to
¤ connect seemlessly to the db and any other suggestion you might kindly
¤ provide.
¤

Unfortunately I don''t have much in the way of information, from personal experience, as I''ve never
work with the AS/400 environment before.

Unless there is a native .NET provider for this environment I''m assuming you will have to use an
OLEDB provider and probably some middleware.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Steven Ramacher

First of all to connect to the iSeries you need to have Client Access
installed on the machine from which you are to connect from. If you have
V5R3M0 client there is a dot net provider that does a very good job that you
can install from a selected install.

_sqlCmd.Connection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=IBMDA400;Data
Source=(your iSeries, such as 172.20.0.252;Persist Security Info=True;User
ID=" & LogedIn.UserId & ";Password=" & LogedIn.Password & ";Initial
Catalog=S100FD7D;Default Collection=BPCSF64;")

If you do not pass user ID and Password then iSeries client will prompt.
Data source is the IP or host name of your iSeries. Initial Catalog is the
host name of you iSeries and must be included as such. Default collection is
the Library of databases you want to connect to.

OLEDB Select statements can use parameters but instead of naming them you
use a ? and insert the parameters in the order of how you listed them in the
select statement.

--
Steven

"Paul Clement" wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2005 14:05:59 -0800, pamelafluente@libero.it wrote:
>
> ¤ Hi Paul,
> ¤ Thank you very much. I had already seen that page googling on the web,
> ¤ but I also have read that many people have problems with the
> ¤ connection. I have a reporting application which uses OleDb as general
> ¤ protocol to connect to DBMS and takes connection strings. However so
> ¤ far I had no chance to make experience on AS400. Since tomorrow I have
> ¤ to go try to attach the application to the db of a client which has
> ¤ AS400, I really would apprecciate some practical advise on how to
> ¤ connect seemlessly to the db and any other suggestion you might kindly
> ¤ provide.
> ¤
>
> Unfortunately I don''t have much in the way of information, from personal experience, as I''ve never
> work with the AS/400 environment before.
>
> Unless there is a native .NET provider for this environment I''m assuming you will have to use an
> OLEDB provider and probably some middleware.
>

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

jotaf98

On 19 Fev, 21:45, "uschkinredsunsh...@gmx.de"
<uschkinredsunsh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I wouldn't say that unit testing is a waste of time. But for home
> projects i don't use it either, but that can change in future.
> Currently i'm working with a 'design by contract' approach, which
> helps to eliminate bugs too.

My approach to unit testing is a bit different, and I've been doing it
(almost) involuntarily since I first learned to code. I write a few
disposable lines of code to test out a shady class before it actually
enters "production". Helps immensely with pointer-heavy algorithms,
but I end up doing it many times as a sanity check. Yeah test code
gets deleted in the end, but it's justified as I catch some bugs early
on, and design flaws too ("this is clunky").

Jotaf

Jeff Lait

On Feb 19, 4:45 pm, "uschkinredsunsh...@gmx.de"
<uschkinredsunsh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 9:31 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 19, 3:00 pm, miller.pau...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Automated unit tests are a great way to catch a large class of silly,
> > > low-level bugs in your code. Some folks even go so far as to write
> > > tests for functionality before the actual code implementing that
> > > functionality ("test-driven development").
>
> > Some people go so far as to use languages that automatically create
> > and execute such tests in the compilation phase, thereby catching
> > large classes of silly, low-level bugs without ever having to write
> > any extra testing code.
>
> I wouldn't say that unit testing is a waste of time.

And I wouldn't say that either.

> But for home
> projects i don't use it either, but that can change in future.
> Currently i'm working with a 'design by contract' approach, which
> helps to eliminate bugs too.

Which gets into what I referred to. A static typed language
automatically defines and enforces a contract around each interface.
Most of the silly typos that require run-time unit tests in a dynamic
language are caught for free by the compiler. This lets me avoid unit
testing for simple cases and concentrate on holistic tests which,
IMHO, are both more realistic (as they mimic the behaviour of actual
players) and easier to code and maintain.

The vast majority of my bugs that slip past obvious just-in-time
testing are systems bugs - the relationship between units - so not
amenable to any testing sort of treating the roguelike-as-a-whole as a
single unit.

What I really should do is log all output from the game and send it
through a grammar/spell checker :>
--
Jeff Lait
(POWDER: http://www.zincland....)