Website MS Access database

Guillermo

11/14/2005 4:06:00 PM

Gentlemen, I'm trying VB.Net 2005 Beta2.
I have an Access database in my website (wemdb01.mdb).
I need to connect my application to it, in order to work with its data.
When I try to add the URL I get this msg: "The HTML document does not
contain Web service discovery information". Hosting is using Apache.
Please,what am I doing wrong?.
Thanks. Guillermo.

4 Answers

jt

Guillermo wrote:
> Gentlemen, I''m trying VB.Net 2005 Beta2.
> I have an Access database in my website (wemdb01.mdb).
> I need to connect my application to it, in order to work with its data.
> When I try to add the URL I get this msg: "The HTML document does not
> contain Web service discovery information".
Why are you trying to use an URL to connecto a database?

Hosting is using Apache.
How did you managed to run an ASP.NET 2.0 VB.NET 2005 application
in Apache? Are you using Mono? (are you aware that Mono is not (yet)
compatible with ASP.NET 2.0)

> Please,what am I doing wrong?.
Many things ;) :
1) Trying to use an URL to connect to an access database
2) Trying to use ASP.NET 2.0 in Apache
3) Trying to usa a WebService to connect to an access database

> Thanks. Guillermo.

Guillermo

Thanks for the input.
So now:
I''m not running ANYTHING right now.
Is there a way a VB.Net application can connnect to my Website Access
Database?.
Would it be easier if the Database were SQL?.
Thanks.
Guillermo.

"luxspes" wrote:

> Guillermo wrote:
> > Gentlemen, I''m trying VB.Net 2005 Beta2.
> > I have an Access database in my website (wemdb01.mdb).
> > I need to connect my application to it, in order to work with its data.
> > When I try to add the URL I get this msg: "The HTML document does not
> > contain Web service discovery information".
> Why are you trying to use an URL to connecto a database?
>
> Hosting is using Apache.
> How did you managed to run an ASP.NET 2.0 VB.NET 2005 application
> in Apache? Are you using Mono? (are you aware that Mono is not (yet)
> compatible with ASP.NET 2.0)
>

> > Please,what am I doing wrong?.
> Many things ;) :
> 1) Trying to use an URL to connect to an access database
> 2) Trying to use ASP.NET 2.0 in Apache
> 3) Trying to usa a WebService to connect to an access database
>
> > Thanks. Guillermo.

jt

Guillermo wrote:
> Thanks for the input.
> So now:
> I''m not running ANYTHING right now.
> Is there a way a VB.Net application can connnect to my Website Access
> Database?.

Of course... first... you need to know "where" is your access database
(from the file system perspective from INSIDE you WebServer)

Then... just follow the steps in http://www.asp.net/g...
After some "Next" clicks you will arrive at
http://www.asp.net/guidedtou...
On that page, the second step is "In the Choose Data Source dialog
select Microsoft SQL Server and then click Continue."

Just change that to
In the Choose Data Source dialog select MICROSOFT ACCESS DATABASE FILE
and then click Continue."

And... well... that is it!

> Would it be easier if the Database were SQL?.
> Thanks.
> Guillermo.
>
> "luxspes" wrote:
>

>>Guillermo wrote:
>>
>>>Gentlemen, I''m trying VB.Net 2005 Beta2.
>>>I have an Access database in my website (wemdb01.mdb).
>>>I need to connect my application to it, in order to work with its data.
>>>When I try to add the URL I get this msg: "The HTML document does not
>>>contain Web service discovery information".
>>
>>Why are you trying to use an URL to connecto a database?
>>
>> Hosting is using Apache.
>>How did you managed to run an ASP.NET 2.0 VB.NET 2005 application
>>in Apache? Are you using Mono? (are you aware that Mono is not (yet)
>>compatible with ASP.NET 2.0)
>>

>>>Please,what am I doing wrong?.
>>
>>Many things ;) :
>>1) Trying to use an URL to connect to an access database
>>2) Trying to use ASP.NET 2.0 in Apache
>>3) Trying to usa a WebService to connect to an access database
>>

>>>Thanks. Guillermo.

Guillermo

Thank you. Going there now.
I''ll tell you how it works.