VisualStudio 2005 and Microsoft.Data.Odbc on x64

Andre Lorbach

11/11/2005 3:45:00 PM

Hi all,

today I updated to VisualStudio 2005 and tried converting on of my projects
to it.
In this project I am heaviliy using the additional "Microsoft.Data.Odbc"
namespace to work with databases. I installed the x64 Version of the .Net
Framework.

My System is:
Windows XP x64 with all patches installed
2 GB Mem, enough HD Space.
Installed:
Office 2003
VisualStudio 6
VisualStudio2003
VisualStudio2005

I can compile my program and run it. My problem now is that once I come to
the point where the "Microsoft.Data.Odbc" namespace is used, I get the
following exception:
System.EntryPointNotFoundException was unhandled
Message="Unable to find an entry point named 'InterlockedDecrement' in DLL
'kernel32.dll'."
Source="Microsoft.Data.Odbc"
TypeName=""
StackTrace:
at System.Data.Common.SafeNativeMethods.InterlockedDecrement(IntPtr
lpAddend)
at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.DBCWrapper.Finalize()

From the taskmanager, I can see that my compiled app is now running in the
x64 environment and the error messages leads me to the point that the Odbc
compoment my is not compatible to this new environment.

Does anybody has an Idea how to fix this problem?

2 Answers

Sylvain Lafontaine

You will have to find an 64 bits ODBC driver for each type of database that
you want to access from x64. In my opinion, excerpt for some costly ($$$)
exceptions, you will find none (either free or not).

For Jet/Access, you can probably forget that for at least one year (until
Office 2006 comes out) and probably forever after that because I don''t think
that MS will ever release an 64 bits version of the JET ODBC driver. (Maybe
for OLEDB, surely for OLEDB.NET but probably not for ODBC.)

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"Andre Lorbach" <Andre Lorbach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> today I updated to VisualStudio 2005 and tried converting on of my
> projects
> to it.
> In this project I am heaviliy using the additional "Microsoft.Data.Odbc"
> namespace to work with databases. I installed the x64 Version of the .Net
> Framework.
>
> My System is:
> Windows XP x64 with all patches installed
> 2 GB Mem, enough HD Space.
> Installed:
> Office 2003
> VisualStudio 6
> VisualStudio2003
> VisualStudio2005
>
> I can compile my program and run it. My problem now is that once I come to
> the point where the "Microsoft.Data.Odbc" namespace is used, I get the
> following exception:
> System.EntryPointNotFoundException was unhandled
> Message="Unable to find an entry point named ''InterlockedDecrement'' in
> DLL
> ''kernel32.dll''."
> Source="Microsoft.Data.Odbc"
> TypeName=""
> StackTrace:
> at System.Data.Common.SafeNativeMethods.InterlockedDecrement(IntPtr
> lpAddend)
> at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.DBCWrapper.Finalize()
>

> From the taskmanager, I can see that my compiled app is now running in the
> x64 environment and the error messages leads me to the point that the Odbc
> compoment my is not compatible to this new environment.
>
> Does anybody has an Idea how to fix this problem?

Andre Lorbach

thanks for your answer. I feared that coming.
This means in general I have to make sure that the components I use are
available for all plattforms (x86, x64 and son on)?

It would help if I could simply run and develop the app in 32bit Mode (What
I am currently doing with VS2003). But this would require me to install the
x86 Version of the Framework which I can''t (already tried).

--
www.adiscon.com