Charles A. Lackman

10/26/2005 7:48:00 AM

Hello,

I have created a connection of a Siebel Database (or to be more specific
Sybase SQL Anyware), and I am able to retrieve data and view it contents
(Tables, Views Stored Procs) using odbc from ADO.NET. The problem I am
having is trying to Update a table. It does not appear that I have
permission or there is some other type of commands I should be using besides
SQL statements.

I really need information on writing data back to this database. Any
information would be greatly appreciated.
If necessary you will be able to VPN onto the computer to accomplish this.

I would also be interested in a referral or consultant. Siebel has been no
help, especially since Oracle has agreed to purchase them. Thrid party
drivers are ok to, providing they do not require individual lisences for
each computer that is using it.

Thanks,

Chuck

1 Answer

Cowboy

Check the drivers. WHile I have heard nothing of SQL Anywhere, some database
drivers are read only, so it is possible someone put out a driver that does
not implement Update (strange, but possible).

It is also better to set up stored procs for your commands. This both
reduces the injection footprint as well as makes database access a bit
faster. You also have the option of testing the code independently from the
SQL, which helps in figuring out where an error occurs.

I, personally, have no SQL Anywhere experience and do not know of a
consultant who works with it.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA