Where is MSFT OLE DB Provider for Oracle

RosalieRalf

8/4/2005 7:52:00 PM

I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
Oracle. I don't have it installed, or at least I can't find it anywhere. I
have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
thx for any help
9 Answers

RosalieRalf

I have checked and I have MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Windows XP SP2

"RosalieRalf" wrote:

> I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
> most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
> Oracle. I don''t have it installed, or at least I can''t find it anywhere. I
> have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
> using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
> thx for any help

Paul Clement

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:52:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

&#164; I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
&#164; most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
&#164; Oracle. I don''t have it installed, or at least I can''t find it anywhere. I
&#164; have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
&#164; using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
&#164; thx for any help

Where are you looking for it and how do you know it isn''t installed?

Instead why not use the native .NET provider for Oracle (System.Data.OracleClient)?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

RosalieRalf

"Paul Clement" wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:52:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> &#194;&#164; I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
> &#194;&#164; most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
> &#194;&#164; Oracle. I don''t have it installed, or at least I can''t find it anywhere. I
> &#194;&#164; have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
> &#194;&#164; using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
> &#194;&#164; thx for any help
>
> Where are you looking for it and how do you know it isn''t installed?
>
> Instead why not use the native .NET provider for Oracle (System.Data.OracleClient)?
>

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thx for the reply. I am new to .NET, so excuse the ignorance of what I
think is correct and what is actually correct. I am under the impression
that is comes in MDAC, at least that is what MSDN says. When I use the tool
bar to add the data adaptor, it runs me thru the ODBC and that is where I
expect to see the OLE DB Provider for Oracle. I assume that I am wrong here.
Where do I find this and how do I use it. But, you comment about using the
..NET for oracle makes sense. I have just read that in the past few minutes.
But, how do I find the OLE DB Provider anyway. Been searching and still
curious.

Paul Clement

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:16:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

&#164;
&#164;
&#164; "Paul Clement" wrote:
&#164;
&#164; > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:52:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
&#164; >
&#164; > &#164; I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
&#164; > &#164; most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
&#164; > &#164; Oracle. I don''t have it installed, or at least I can''t find it anywhere. I
&#164; > &#164; have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
&#164; > &#164; using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
&#164; > &#164; thx for any help
&#164; >
&#164; > Where are you looking for it and how do you know it isn''t installed?
&#164; >
&#164; > Instead why not use the native .NET provider for Oracle (System.Data.OracleClient)?
&#164; >
&#164; >
&#164; > Paul
&#164; > ~~~~
&#164; > Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
&#164; >
&#164;
&#164; Thx for the reply. I am new to .NET, so excuse the ignorance of what I
&#164; think is correct and what is actually correct. I am under the impression
&#164; that is comes in MDAC, at least that is what MSDN says. When I use the tool
&#164; bar to add the data adaptor, it runs me thru the ODBC and that is where I
&#164; expect to see the OLE DB Provider for Oracle. I assume that I am wrong here.
&#164; Where do I find this and how do I use it. But, you comment about using the
&#164; .NET for oracle makes sense. I have just read that in the past few minutes.
&#164; But, how do I find the OLE DB Provider anyway. Been searching and still
&#164; curious.

I''m not sure which tool you''re using but yes you should see the Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle
in the list of OLEDB providers.

Can you confirm which tool you are using? Is it the Data Link Properties dialog when creating a new
connection?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

RosalieRalf

I am on the toolbar, using odbcDataAdaptor. It puts me into a wizard and
into ODBC drivers. I was expecting to see the driver there, but it isn''t.
How should I be creating the connection??

"Paul Clement" wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:16:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> &#194;&#164;
> &#194;&#164;
> &#194;&#164; "Paul Clement" wrote:
> &#194;&#164;
> &#194;&#164; > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:52:02 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; I am writing an .NET app with an oracle backend DB. I have been told the
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; most efficient way of accomplishing this is by using MSFT OLE DB Provider for
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; Oracle. I don''t have it installed, or at least I can''t find it anywhere. I
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; have tried loading the MDAC stuff and it says my OS already has it. I am
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; using XP and .NET 2003. Where do I find the DB Provider??
> &#194;&#164; > &#194;&#164; thx for any help
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164; > Where are you looking for it and how do you know it isn''t installed?
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164; > Instead why not use the native .NET provider for Oracle (System.Data.OracleClient)?
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164; > Paul
> &#194;&#164; > ~~~~
> &#194;&#164; > Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
> &#194;&#164; >
> &#194;&#164;
> &#194;&#164; Thx for the reply. I am new to .NET, so excuse the ignorance of what I
> &#194;&#164; think is correct and what is actually correct. I am under the impression
> &#194;&#164; that is comes in MDAC, at least that is what MSDN says. When I use the tool
> &#194;&#164; bar to add the data adaptor, it runs me thru the ODBC and that is where I
> &#194;&#164; expect to see the OLE DB Provider for Oracle. I assume that I am wrong here.
> &#194;&#164; Where do I find this and how do I use it. But, you comment about using the
> &#194;&#164; .NET for oracle makes sense. I have just read that in the past few minutes.
> &#194;&#164; But, how do I find the OLE DB Provider anyway. Been searching and still
> &#194;&#164; curious.
>
> I''m not sure which tool you''re using but yes you should see the Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle
> in the list of OLEDB providers.
>
> Can you confirm which tool you are using? Is it the Data Link Properties dialog when creating a new
> connection?
>

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Paul Clement

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:11:05 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

&#164; I am on the toolbar, using odbcDataAdaptor. It puts me into a wizard and
&#164; into ODBC drivers. I was expecting to see the driver there, but it isn''t.
&#164; How should I be creating the connection??
&#164;

I thought you were working with OLEDB and not ODBC. See the following:

BUG: Connection for Oracle Database with ODBC Driver is Not Displayed in Data Adapter Configuration
Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/?k...

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

CusCom

I have a similar problem. When trying to configure a data adapter to simply
connect to an Access database, I chose to use the "Data Adapter Configuration
Wizard". However, when I click on the Provider tab, there is nothing listed
for Jet 4.0. I am new to this also, and would greatly appreciate any help.
All books I read presume that the provider for Jet 4.0 is listed here.

"Paul Clement" wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:11:05 -0700, "RosalieRalf" <RosalieRalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> &#194;&#164; I am on the toolbar, using odbcDataAdaptor. It puts me into a wizard and
> &#194;&#164; into ODBC drivers. I was expecting to see the driver there, but it isn''t.
> &#194;&#164; How should I be creating the connection??
> &#194;&#164;
>
> I thought you were working with OLEDB and not ODBC. See the following:
>
> BUG: Connection for Oracle Database with ODBC Driver is Not Displayed in Data Adapter Configuration
> Wizard
> http://support.microsoft.com/?k...
>

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Paul Clement

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:12:01 -0700, CusCom <CusCom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

&#164; I have a similar problem. When trying to configure a data adapter to simply
&#164; connect to an Access database, I chose to use the "Data Adapter Configuration
&#164; Wizard". However, when I click on the Provider tab, there is nothing listed
&#164; for Jet 4.0. I am new to this also, and would greatly appreciate any help.
&#164; All books I read presume that the provider for Jet 4.0 is listed here.
&#164;

Yes, it should be there provided the Jet Database Components are installed. Which OS are you using?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

CusCom

Thanks for your response. I am running XP Home, SP2 with all updates
applied. In further searching on the Microsoft website, however, I located
information suggesting registration of about six Jet related files, such as
"msjint40.dll". I used RegSvr32 to complete the registration, and then the
Jet 4.0 Provider was listed in the Configuration Wizard. So, for the time
being, all appears to be well. But it seems strange to me that it was not
listed there before performing the registrations!