why do bound controls not work?

I've got a simple VB/Access app that binds text controls to various fields
in a database table. Everything works fine, EXCEPT that when I call the
Update method on the data adapter, nothing updates, because it thinks nothing
in the dataset changed! But this is wrong - the changes are reflected in the
dataset, but the dataset doesn't recognize that it has changed.

If I make changes to the fields thru the bound edit boxes, and then check
the HasChanges method on the dataset, it runs FALSE - even though the
changes ARE reflected in the dataset's data! How do I fix this??? The Update
calls do nothing even if I edit all the fields because the dataset won't
recognized that anything has changed.

The updates and everything work fine if I manually set new values into the
fields; the update works and HasChanges returns true.
ex.:dataset.tables(0).rows(0)("my field") = foo

thanks!