How can I display the table names and field names in FoxPro 2.06 using Visual Basic.net

Robin Prosch via .NET 247

6/8/2005 5:00:00 AM

I need to display table names and field names for each table in FoxPro 2.06 from my project using ODBC.I am working in VB .Net.
I found following functions to display the desired results
'Display Tables' and
'Display Structure'
But when i run them from my project i get an error.

What are the SQL queries for this problem?

--------------------------------
From: Nida Ahmad

-----------------------
Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotn...)

<Id>ddUcY3pCEUuEf7juWAjtmw==</Id>
1 Answer

Cindy Winegarden

Hi Nida,

Display Tables and Display Structure are XBase commands that aren''t
supported by the FoxPro ODBC drivers and OLE DB data provider.

Since you''re working with FoxPro 2.6 "free" tables (not belonging to a VFP
DBC) you can use Directory.GetFiles() for a list of the DBFs in the
directory.

Here''s code I posted earlier on how to get table structures:
''-- (adapted from a post by David Sceppa of Microsoft)

''-- Begin code
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.OleDb

Module Module1
Sub Main()

Try

Dim cn As New OleDbConnection("Provider=VFPO&#173;LEDB.1;Data Source
=
""C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO
9\SAMPLES\NORTHWIND\NORTHWIND.&#173;DBC"";")
cn.Open()

Dim cmd As IDbCommand = cn.CreateCommand
cmd.CommandText = "Select * From Customers"
Dim rdr As IDataReader
rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehav&#173;ior.SchemaOnly Or
CommandBehavior.KeyInfo)
Dim tbl As DataTable = rdr.GetSchemaTable

Console.WriteLine("ColumnName" & vbTab & "IsKey" & vbTab &
"BaseTableName.BaseColumnName"&#173;)
Dim row As DataRow
For Each row In tbl.Rows
Console.WriteLine(row.Item( _
"ColumnName").ToString() & vbTab & _
row.Item("IsKey").ToString() & vbTab & _
row.Item("BaseTableName").ToSt&#173;ring() & "." & _
row.Item("BaseColumnName").ToS&#173;tring())
Next

Catch e As Exception
Stop
End Try

End Sub
End Module
''-- End code

You can get the details of what the various colums represent from the
GetSchemaTable topic in Help.

--
Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual Foxpro MVP
cindy_winegarden@msn.com www.cindywinegarden.com