Cannot connect to remote data

Dave F.

5/24/2005 10:19:00 PM

Hello all,

I have IIS 5.1 on an XP pro computer running an ASP.NET app that uses an
ODBC DSN connection. I am using the Microsoft dBase driver. The data is on
another server (Windows 2003). I can access the data if it and IIS are
running on the same computer but if I try to access the data from IIS to the
other computer I get the following error:

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [HY024] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver]
'(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled
correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY024] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver]
'(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled
correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides.

I have looked over the information at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconaspnetdele...
but I just don't know enough about networking issues to really understand
what to do and how to impliment it.

My IIS does not belong to the domain where the data resides although I have
a drive mapped and can access it using Windows apps written in VB6. My 2003
server is a domain controller. Does the XP computer need to belong to the
2003 domain?

Thanks for any help.

1 Answer

Paul Clement

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:18:58 -0700, "Dave F." <dflowers@gmail.com> wrote:

&#164; Hello all,
&#164;
&#164; I have IIS 5.1 on an XP pro computer running an ASP.NET app that uses an
&#164; ODBC DSN connection. I am using the Microsoft dBase driver. The data is on
&#164; another server (Windows 2003). I can access the data if it and IIS are
&#164; running on the same computer but if I try to access the data from IIS to the
&#164; other computer I get the following error:
&#164;
&#164; System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [HY024] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver]
&#164; ''(unknown)'' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled
&#164; correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
&#164; resides. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver''s
&#164; SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY024] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver]
&#164; ''(unknown)'' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled
&#164; correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
&#164; resides.
&#164;
&#164; I have looked over the information at
&#164; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconaspnetdele...
&#164; but I just don''t know enough about networking issues to really understand
&#164; what to do and how to impliment it.
&#164;
&#164; My IIS does not belong to the domain where the data resides although I have
&#164; a drive mapped and can access it using Windows apps written in VB6. My 2003
&#164; server is a domain controller. Does the XP computer need to belong to the
&#164; 2003 domain?

Not necessarily. What authentication are you using for you web application? Anonymous? Basic?
Integrated Windows?

In addition, if you''re not already doing so, you will need to reference the folder in your
connection string by UNC path instead of a mapped drive letter.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)