Peter

5/18/2005 4:53:00 PM

I have a .Net VC++ program that connect to an MS Access database which works
fine with Windows XP and 2k. But when I tried it on 98, first I get an error
saying I need MDAC 2.6 or higher, so I installed 2.8 but now it says

ERROR [IM002][Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and
no default driver specified.

I tried making changes to the DSN stuff in Control Panel but it's still not
working

My code is basically

dataset->clear();
odbcDataAdapter->selectCommand->Parameters->item["something"]->value =
somevalue; //for filtering what i want to see
odbcDataAdapter->fill(dataset);

Can anyone help me with what might work?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
3 Answers

Dave F.

Hi Peter,

Just a question. Are you trying to access remote data or does the Access mdb
reside on the same drive as your program? It makes a big difference on how
it will handle the connnection.

Dave

>I have a .Net VC++ program that connect to an MS Access database which
>works
> fine with Windows XP and 2k. But when I tried it on 98, first I get an
> error
> saying I need MDAC 2.6 or higher, so I installed 2.8 but now it says
>
> ERROR [IM002][Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found
> and
> no default driver specified.
>
> I tried making changes to the DSN stuff in Control Panel but it''s still
> not
> working
>
> My code is basically
>
> dataset->clear();
> odbcDataAdapter->selectCommand->Parameters->item["something"]->value =
> somevalue; //for filtering what i want to see
> odbcDataAdapter->fill(dataset);
>
> Can anyone help me with what might work?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Peter

Hi Dave,

thx for responding. The .mdb file is on the same drive as the program. Any
suggestion ?

Peter

"Dave F." wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Just a question. Are you trying to access remote data or does the Access mdb
> reside on the same drive as your program? It makes a big difference on how
> it will handle the connnection.
>
> Dave
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a .Net VC++ program that connect to an MS Access database which
> >works
> > fine with Windows XP and 2k. But when I tried it on 98, first I get an
> > error
> > saying I need MDAC 2.6 or higher, so I installed 2.8 but now it says
> >
> > ERROR [IM002][Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found
> > and
> > no default driver specified.
> >
> > I tried making changes to the DSN stuff in Control Panel but it''s still
> > not
> > working
> >
> > My code is basically
> >
> > dataset->clear();
> > odbcDataAdapter->selectCommand->Parameters->item["something"]->value =
> > somevalue; //for filtering what i want to see
> > odbcDataAdapter->fill(dataset);
> >
> > Can anyone help me with what might work?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Peter

Generally this would be something in the connection string not quite right.
For OdbcConnection it should have at minimum "driver={Microsoft Access
Driver (*.mdb)};dbq=c:\\file.mdb;"
purposes only.