Select MAX statement only returns true not the actual number???

hack123

5/8/2005 1:31:00 PM

G'Day all,
Heres my code:

Dim MyConString As String = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51
Driver};SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=phpbb_forums;UID=root;PASSWORD=joeblogs;OPTION=3"

Dim MyConnection = New OdbcConnection(MyConString)

Dim MDBGetRow As New OdbcCommand("SELECT MAX(user_id) FROM
phpbb_users", MyConnection)

MyConnection.Open()

Dim MDBreader As OdbcDataReader

MDBreader = MDBGetRow.ExecuteReader

MessageBox.Show(MDBreader.Read)

MyConnection.close()

Now when I run that all I get in the messagebox.show() is true.

Now the user_id column is all numbers (no text at all) and its
properties are "mediumint". If I execute the sql statement using say
navicat or another sql management program it returns the max number in
the column so I figure it must be something to do with my code. Any
ideas?

Cheers all

Dave.