RE: Retriving DSN list and their associated databases and tables

irimiabc

3/16/2005 10:23:00 AM

Salut!

I see your question is prety old here and it did not get an answer yet. I
need help in the same problem, but i coud not find info in MSDN or somewhere
else. If you have some info, please send me a link or something at
irimiabc@hotmail.com.
I have a selfmade solution, but it is not "state of the art solution":

Usualy DSN files are stored ion a W200/XP in
C:\documentsandsetings\common\data\datasources or something like this, i am
not on my comp right now so i con not say sorely. Better search your C: for
files wth .DSN extension. Frm there you can list them in your combobox.
After selecting yor DSN, I think there is a way to relate the dsn file with
a connection object, I gues somewhere in the connectionstring atribute.

And i am searching and just have no answers for listing the databases tables
and fields. This is a big question for me with odbc. But I think there is a
SQL command that sounds like LIST Tables and List field, suported by some
servers like MS SQL, Oracle, Mysql... You pass it like a command and read the
answer. I would like to know the odbc command for doing this but i dont, and
I need it for portability of my program.

THE MICROSFT STUFF shoud know... The odbc commands for listing dsn files
connections, for listing tables in a database and for listing fields in a
table are implemented in odbc 3.5, but I just can not find their
corespondants in .NET.

Excuse my English...