dennist685

3/12/2005 1:25:00 PM

filemaker pro 7

Can I use fp7 as a datasource in vb.net through odbc? If so, how?

Thanks.

dennist685
4 Answers

v-schang

Hi Denniest,

Thanks for your posting. As for the fp7 work as ODBC datasource in VB.NET,
I think it depends on whether there is exsiting ODBC driver support it. If
there existing, buildin or 3rd party , .net is surely to support using it
through ADO.NET. Anyway, I''ll consult some further ADO.NET guys to confirm
this, we''ll update you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

v-kevy

Hi Dennis,

I agree with Steven that if we need to access Filemaker Pro 7 from VB.NET
ODBC provider, we have to get the ODBC driver for FP7 from the vendor.
Please try to contact them for it. HTH.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

dennist685

Thank you both Steven and Kevin,
It may be that the installation comes with the driver; I''ll ask in a support
forum. All the reviews say it''s better than Access for a file based
departmentment sized database.

Still, I wonder, even if it is, whether it would be worth it. If it doesn''t
have an import feature for my access database, it''d waste a lot of time
recreating and populating it.

Second, I don''t get it as part of my msdn subscription :).

Third, sql server 2005 express edition is also a file based database. Can I
run that along with visual studio 2003, or would there be problems
uninstalling it? Does the installation have net framework 2.0 included.

Now that I think of it, it''d be a diversion to use filemaker pro 7. Thanks
for your input.

dennist685

v-kevy

Hi Dennis,

I''m not quite familiar with Filemaker Pro 7. But if you''re working on a
database that does contain much records and not many concurrent users, I
suggest you use MSDE instead. It supports 2GB of storage and 5 concurrent
users, and it is free for download. It is a desktop engine of SQL server.
You can use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace for access it. It can be
get from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=413744d1-...
bafa-e4b278eb9147&DisplayLang=en

Actually, SQL Server 2005 Express is the 2005 version for MSDE. However,
currently, it is only a beta version. It is only for test use and not
recommended for production. HTH.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."