OleDbConnection causes Application_End

Rashad Rivera

3/8/2005 2:33:00 AM

I am having a problem in where creating a OleDbConnection is causing my
ASP.NET application to end prematurely. The thing that is most puzzling is
that there is no error thrown during the process. So I really don't have any
clue as to why it is failing. I am not calling a Response.Redirect or
anything like that. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you.

4 Answers

Rashad Rivera

Is anyone monitoring this blog?

"Rashad Rivera" wrote:

> I am having a problem in where creating a OleDbConnection is causing my
> ASP.NET application to end prematurely. The thing that is most puzzling is
> that there is no error thrown during the process. So I really don''t have any
> clue as to why it is failing. I am not calling a Response.Redirect or
> anything like that. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you.

Paul Clement

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:29:02 -0800, "Rashad Rivera" <RashadRivera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

&#164; Is anyone monitoring this blog?
&#164;

Blog?

In any event, what kind of database are you attempting to connect to? Could you post a code example
and identify the code that executes before the web application ends?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sharique

Just ran into this one myself. The following scenario will cause it:

1. Use a Microsoft Access database
2. Put the database in the bin folder or lower
3. Operate in "Debug" mode

What happens is that each time you open a connection to the access database, its file modification timestamp is updated. ASP.NET sees this and restarts the application, thinking that a dll has been updated. This not only causes the application_end, but also restarts the sessions.

From http://www.development...22_2005_3_0_0_191693/OleDbConnection-causes-Applicati...

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.development...

Mary Chipman [MSFT]

What is the question? Is it only in debug mode? Access/Jet is not
recommended for ASP.NET applications in general, it is mainly a file
server database. You might want to consider SQL Express or SQL Server
for your ASP.NET app. However, if that is not an option, I''d search on
the string "Access and ASP.NET" -- there are a lot of resources out
there, perhaps it is simply a matter of coding your ASP.NET app a
little differently.

--Mary