microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Re: MSDE Installation Problem

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

9/9/2003 2:53:00 PM

I think this is a common problem with SQL2000 named instances, not only with
MSDE 2.0 and the .NET SDK.

What you need to do is insure that the SQL Manager knows about the named
instance you want to start or auto-start.

Warning: always back up your registry before making any modifications!!!

To do this, I think you need to insert a registry key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Service Manager

called

with value
machinename\VSDOTNET

or whatever your instance is named. Also insure that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

has a value named
InstalledInstances

which is set to the name of your desired instance, eg
VSDOTNET

or whatever the instance name is. This value should not include the machine
name!
Finally, for a sanity check, insure that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\Your_instance_name

exists, eg,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\VSDOTNET

and it is populated with keys and values. If these keys and values are not
set, then it would appear that the named instance of MSDE 2.0 is not
properly installed.

After making these changes and checks, you need to stop and restart "Service
Manager" (eg, sqlmangr.exe, the thing with the red dot or green arrow).
When you restart sqlmangr.exe, your instance name should appear. Select the
checkbox to "autostart" and you are good to go. If Sqlmangr.exe does not
start up, use task manager and check if there are old instances of
sqlmangr.exe still running and forcibly stop them. Then again restart
sqlmangr.exe.

This worked for me.

---------------------------

Another way to get the instance to autostart is to manually start the
instance when windows starts.
just put a new string value in :

the name can be anything, with a string vlaue of:
"c:\windows\system32\net.exe start <SQLServer>"

where <SQLServer> is replaced by the name of the service corresponding to
your instance.
For me this is MSSQL$VSDOTNET .

But this will not insert the instance name in the sqlmangr.exe .

-Dino

ps: there is an MSDE newsgroup that may better address any followups you
have on MSDE and Service Manager.