Michel Racicot

8/29/2003 6:34:00 PM

Hi there, just downloaded the latest framework sdk and I want to find a
good freeware editor that recognize C# syntax. Is there some around? What
about free winforms editor?

Thank you

16 Answers

Peter Vidler

Alan S. wrote:
> http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/De...

Nah, he wanted a GOOD and free editor.

Just tried the 0.96 release.. got an exception within 30 seconds of main
program starting (new record :) ).

The best editor I''ve found is Enigma.. but it''s not free. I suppose you
could try c#builder, but that kinda sucks too (though it''s more usable than
sharpdevelop).

Pete

Peter Vidler

AlexS wrote:
> I don''t get any exceptions with my projects in Win2000. Which
> platform you are on?
> Mono?

Windows XP Pro. I clicked the button to report the problem but that just
takes me to their forums (like I''m going to register just to inform them of
this problem).

From previous experience I know that the program''s really slow and a serious
memory hog. And what is it with IDEs and copying the look & feel of visual
studio anyway? They just end up feeling like poor imitations (which is what
most of them are).

Why can''t we just have a good, solid (syntax highlighting) text editor
(that''s free)? Preferably with code folding (based on blocks of code, not
that crappy indentation based stuff from sd).

Pete

Richard Cook

for noncommercial use, this seems to be free.
http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_csharpbu...
no idea what it''s like.

"Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot@cognicase.ca> wrote in message
> Hi there, just downloaded the latest framework sdk and I want to find a
> good freeware editor that recognize C# syntax. Is there some around?
What
> about free winforms editor?
>
> Thank you

AlexS

I don''t get any exceptions with my projects in Win2000. Which platform you
are on?
Mono?

Rgds
Alex

"Pete" <pvidler@gawab.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Alan S. wrote:
> > http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/De...
>
> Nah, he wanted a GOOD and free editor.
>
> Just tried the 0.96 release.. got an exception within 30 seconds of main
> program starting (new record :) ).
>
> The best editor I''ve found is Enigma.. but it''s not free. I suppose you
> could try c#builder, but that kinda sucks too (though it''s more usable
than
> sharpdevelop).
>
> Pete

Michael Mayer [C# MVP]

If we''re not talking IDEs (just editors) then my favorite editor can be
found here: www.vim.org (opensource, free, donate to uganda children if you
feel like it). Can syntax color C#, but no code completion. VI syntax is
very cryptic for noob''s!

And here''s a good list of editors (generic, not necessarily for C#).
http://www.keithdevens.com/download...
Lots of other good tools are listed there as well.

--
Mike Mayer
http://www.mag37.c...

"Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot@cognicase.ca> wrote in message
> Hi there, just downloaded the latest framework sdk and I want to find a
> good freeware editor that recognize C# syntax. Is there some around?
What
> about free winforms editor?
>
> Thank you

Daniël Pelsmaeker

I don''t see your problem. When an Open Source(!) and free
IDE gives an error, you immideately stop using it? Then I
wonder why you still use Windows! ;-)

SharpDevelop offers almost the same features as
VS2002/VS2003, and it''s free and you can get the source
code!
Maybe it''s slower and maybe it gives an error, but
remember, it hasn''t reached it''s 1.0-release yet, and
that''s the price you''ll have to pay.

really slow and a serious
>memory hog. And what is it with IDEs and copying the
look & feel of visual
>studio anyway? They just end up feeling like poor
imitations (which is what
>most of them are).
>
>Why can''t we just have a good, solid (syntax
highlighting) text editor
>(that''s free)? Preferably with code folding (based on
blocks of code, not
>that crappy indentation based stuff from sd).
>
>Pete
>

>.

Mr.Tickle

There is NO debugger on that IDE (yet) , Just download VS.NET .ISOs from p2p
somewhere.

UltraEdit is a nice editor also with code templates.

SharpDevelop is nice but lacking but its early days, one thing I dont like
is theyre CUSTOM solution and project files. why cant they use the same
format as VS? It cant afford to be using custom shit as its competing with
the major IDE.

"Dani&#235;l Pelsmaeker" <the_bug_the_bug@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don''t see your problem. When an Open Source(!) and free
> IDE gives an error, you immideately stop using it? Then I
> wonder why you still use Windows! ;-)
>
> SharpDevelop offers almost the same features as
> VS2002/VS2003, and it''s free and you can get the source
> code!
> Maybe it''s slower and maybe it gives an error, but
> remember, it hasn''t reached it''s 1.0-release yet, and
> that''s the price you''ll have to pay.

Peter Vidler

Vattekkat Satheesh Babu wrote:
> - www.jedit.org (very extensible with plugins; macros; can even be
> configured as an IDE)

Having just complained about IDEs with poor UIs that were too slow, you
point me to a Java based one. ;) Seriously though, I tried jEdit a while
back (few months ago) and it didn''t appeal to me. I''m quite fussy with
editors.. they must have syntax highlighting and folding, but they must also
have a native xp gui :)

> - www.vim.org (my favourite, but key combinations can be hard to start
> with)

Tried it a few days ago. Not bad, but kinda ugly and *really* hard to get
used to. I might stick with this one and see how it goes.

> - www.xemacs.org (key combinations can be painful with laptop
> keyboards, and usually Emacs is a bit too much powerful/complicated)

Wasn''t even aware it ran on Windows! I think I might skip this one anyway..

> Finally, if you are not looking for Keyboard magic: www.scintilla.org
> - download SciTE. F5 to compile, F7 to execute, syntax highlighting
> (IMO, the best there is), folding, very easy customization, and all
> in about 300Kb - extremely valuable software to carry around in a
> floppy - you don''t even need to "install" it, just run from a folder
> like good old DOS software (or like the latest .Net assemblies).

Hmm.. I''ve looked at Scintilla before and wasn''t too impressed with it.
Never tried SciTe though.. I''ll go do that now :)

> If you use Notepad at all, you want to rename SciTE as notepad.exe :-)

Ah yes, Notepad.. king of all editors. If only it had syntax highlighting
and folding. Now *there* would be an app ;) .

Pete

Mark

oh, I forgot... no tabs for multiple docs. It opens multiple windows. They
have good reasoning for it, though. I thought I wouldn''t like it, but when
I tried it, it didn''t bother me.

Mark

Peter Vidler

Mark wrote:
> oh, I forgot... no tabs for multiple docs. It opens multiple windows.
> They have good reasoning for it, though. I thought I wouldn''t like
> it, but when I tried it, it didn''t bother me.

It''s not free, either. I''ve pretty much decided to use Crimson Editor. It
isn''t pretty, but it seems to get the job done.

If I''m going to pay money for an editor, it needs to have features that
*really* impress me.

Pete