Lloyd Dupont

8/28/2003 1:24:00 PM

I have a C# application solution (with 2 projects)
it's finished and I'm happy with that I have.
I use VS.NET 2003 for the development.

now I want to create an install package (typically a .msi), well, I have
absoultely no idea where to start, not even which documentation look !

Could anyone shed some light for me ?

6 Answers

Drebin

You Add a project, to your solution.. you know that page where you choose
"Windows Application", "ASP.NET Web Application"??

Well, on the left - there is Setup and Deployment Projects - then choose
Setup Project, it will make an installer or cab file for you..

"Lloyd Dupont" <net.galador@ld> wrote in message
> I have a C# application solution (with 2 projects)
> it''s finished and I''m happy with that I have.
> I use VS.NET 2003 for the development.
>
> now I want to create an install package (typically a .msi), well, I have
> absoultely no idea where to start, not even which documentation look !
>
> Could anyone shed some light for me ?

÷ÏÒÏÎËÏ×

"Lloyd Dupont" <net.galador@ld> &#211;&#207;&#207;&#194;&#221;&#201;&#204;/&#211;&#207;&#207;&#194;&#221;&#201;&#204;&#193; &#215; &#206;&#207;&#215;&#207;&#211;&#212;&#209;&#200; &#211;&#204;&#197;&#196;&#213;&#192;&#221;&#197;&#197;:
> I have a C# application solution (with 2 projects)
> it''s finished and I''m happy with that I have.
> I use VS.NET 2003 for the development.
>
> now I want to create an install package (typically a .msi), well, I have
> absoultely no idea where to start, not even which documentation look !
>
> Could anyone shed some light for me ?

Just add a "Setup Wizard Project" to your solution. It would automatically
scan for the dependecies. You also can specify during one of the steps of
the wizard whether to include all "content" files in your setup package.
After that you have just to build it as a normal project. It''s very simple
really.

Chris Taylor

Right click on the sollution in the ''Solution Explorer'', select Add>New
Project. At this point you will get the ''Add New Project'' dialog, on the
left hand side select ''Setup and Deployment Projects'' and on the right you
can select ''Setup Project''. Give it a name and make sure that the Location
is set correctly now press OK.

From this point you will have a Deployment project in your solution. There
are a thousand things you can configure and control. But just to get you
started, you can Right click on the newly created setup project, again this
is in the Solution Explorer, and select Add>Project Output. Select your
project from the combobox then select Primary output from the listbox, Press
OK. Repeat this for your second project. If you compile at this point, a msi
will be created giving you a very basic installation for your project.

This might help

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vbtskcreatinginstallerforyourappli...

Watch for the line wrap!!

Regards

Chris Taylor

"Lloyd Dupont" <net.galador@ld> wrote in message
> I have a C# application solution (with 2 projects)
> it''s finished and I''m happy with that I have.
> I use VS.NET 2003 for the development.
>
> now I want to create an install package (typically a .msi), well, I have
> absoultely no idea where to start, not even which documentation look !
>
> Could anyone shed some light for me ?

Peter Vidler

On a slightly separate note: anyone know how to do this without visual
studio?

Pete

Phil Wilson wrote:
> Bunch of tools here...
>
> http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/aut...

Thanks, those are just what I was looking for.

Pete

Lloyd Dupont

sorry not to answer earlier.
yep I found it, thanks all :-)