microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db

michael kors factory outlet bcV

Katadedajab

12/29/2013 12:35:00 AM

5 Answers

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

David,

Normally I and probably most of us would solve this by creating a table with
the users (companies), then the properties used and add those properties to
the tables to select the rows which are available for the users (companies).
Why is this approach not taken?

Cor

"David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht
> Hi;
>
> They are both the same thing. The problem is we will have multiple
> different
> Application User's with data in the DB.
>
> Let me ask a different question as I may be under a false assumption. Lets
> say we have 10,000 different Application Users. Can we then create 10,000
> databases on a single Sql Server system? Or will that kill it? I've been
> assuming that that would be bad (just like events are better than threads
> and
> threads are better than processes and 10,000 processes will kill Windows).
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardr...
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardr.../film.htm
>

> "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Proabably don't I understand your question.
>>
>> What is in this case the difference between the Application User and a
>> Application User Company?
>>
>> Cor

David Thielen

It's a much more complicated schema than that. We have about 20 tables. One
example is the invoice table - which does have a column for the user. But
there is a table of invoice items and it's only foreign key is the PK to the
row in the invoice table.

If we control all of the selects, no problem (assuming we don't make any
mistakes). But we want to let our users have the abaility to pull any of
their data out and so we want to give them the ability to make their own
selects, but then insure they get only their data.

--

"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:

> David,
>
> Normally I and probably most of us would solve this by creating a table with
> the users (companies), then the properties used and add those properties to
> the tables to select the rows which are available for the users (companies).
> Why is this approach not taken?
>
> Cor
>
> "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht
> > Hi;
> >
> > They are both the same thing. The problem is we will have multiple
> > different
> > Application User's with data in the DB.
> >
> > Let me ask a different question as I may be under a false assumption. Lets
> > say we have 10,000 different Application Users. Can we then create 10,000
> > databases on a single Sql Server system? Or will that kill it? I've been
> > assuming that that would be bad (just like events are better than threads
> > and
> > threads are better than processes and 10,000 processes will kill Windows).
> >
> > --
> > thanks - dave
> > david_at_windward_dot_net
> > http://www.windwardr...
> >
> > Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardr.../film.htm
> >

> > "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> David,
> >>
> >> Proabably don't I understand your question.
> >>
> >> What is in this case the difference between the Application User and a
> >> Application User Company?
> >>
> >> Cor

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

David,

Then why no helper tables to add the information that is needed to the rows?

> It's a much more complicated schema than that. We have about 20 tables.
> One
> example is the invoice table - which does have a column for the user. But
> there is a table of invoice items and it's only foreign key is the PK to
> the
> row in the invoice table.
>
> If we control all of the selects, no problem (assuming we don't make any
> mistakes). But we want to let our users have the abaility to pull any of
> their data out and so we want to give them the ability to make their own
> selects, but then insure they get only their data.
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardr...
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardr.../film.htm
>

> "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Normally I and probably most of us would solve this by creating a table
>> with
>> the users (companies), then the properties used and add those properties
>> the tables to select the rows which are available for the users
>> (companies).
>> Why is this approach not taken?
>>
>> Cor
>>
>> "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht
>> > Hi;
>> >
>> > They are both the same thing. The problem is we will have multiple
>> > different
>> > Application User's with data in the DB.
>> >
>> > Let me ask a different question as I may be under a false assumption.
>> > Lets
>> > say we have 10,000 different Application Users. Can we then create
>> > 10,000
>> > databases on a single Sql Server system? Or will that kill it? I've
>> > been
>> > assuming that that would be bad (just like events are better than
>> > threads
>> > and
>> > threads are better than processes and 10,000 processes will kill
>> > Windows).
>> >
>> > --
>> > thanks - dave
>> > david_at_windward_dot_net
>> > http://www.windwardr...
>> >
>> > Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardr.../film.htm

David Thielen

Hi;

I tried to find what you meant by helper tables but googling that got me all
kinds of different things. What do you mean by helper tables?

--

"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:

> David,
>
> Then why no helper tables to add the information that is needed to the rows?
>
> Cor
>
> "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht
> > It's a much more complicated schema than that. We have about 20 tables.
> > One
> > example is the invoice table - which does have a column for the user. But
> > there is a table of invoice items and it's only foreign key is the PK to
> > the
> > row in the invoice table.
> >
> > If we control all of the selects, no problem (assuming we don't make any
> > mistakes). But we want to let our users have the abaility to pull any of
> > their data out and so we want to give them the ability to make their own
> > selects, but then insure they get only their data.
> >
> > --
> > thanks - dave
> > david_at_windward_dot_net
> > http://www.windwardr...
> >
> > Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardr.../film.htm
> >

> > "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> David,
> >>
> >> Normally I and probably most of us would solve this by creating a table
> >> with
> >> the users (companies), then the properties used and add those properties
> >> the tables to select the rows which are available for the users
> >> (companies).
> >> Why is this approach not taken?
> >>
> >> Cor
> >>
> >> "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> schreef in bericht

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

It can be all kind of tables,

However you have your existing data and want to keep that seperated from
your data to find information.

Then you can add another table(s) with references to your data which hold
the properties to specify the row as a special row for a special company.

I don't know if the name of that is a helper table, it is just the name I
call it like that.

Cor