Katadedajab

12/28/2013 4:07:00 AM

4 Answers

Patrice

Not sure. Your best bet would be likely to check the generated code.

Instead of driopping/creating the constraint you can also just
acativate/deactivate those constraints. Also if tables are cleared in the
correct order iy shiuld likely work...

--
Patrice

"B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> a ?crit dans le message
de news: 301FC931-4B25-4BB1-81C7-92F16294C865@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>>
>> Basically the idea is that I say now that this is the record X I don"t
>> have
>> to say that this is X . If this is a user controlled value you may want
>> create a unique index on this colmun and use your own application
>> internal
>> primary key...
>>
>> A valid scenario though could be to create client side temporary ids
>> (such
>> as negavtive value for counters) and update them in cascade when the
>> update
>> is commited in the DB. Anoher option would be to use a guid.
>>
>> --
>> Patrice
>> "B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> a ?crit dans le
>> message
>> de news: FA5ED528-EC3F-426B-81AA-D0F34F880D32@microsoft.com...
>> > Ok, bear with me. This is a bit lengthy. This roughly explains a
>> > real-life
>> > legacy data structure problem I'm having.
>> >
>> > Assume a SQL Server 2000 database with 2 tables, Table1 and Table2.
>> >
>> > Table1 has fields id1 (Integer, primary key, but NOT an identity field)
>> > and
>> > content (varchar 10).
>> >
>> > Table2 has fields id1 (integer), id2 (integer, identity field) and
>> > content
>> > (varchar 10). The primary key of Table2 is id1/id2.
>> >
>> > The 2 tables are joined by a relationship in which table1/id1 is the
>> > foreign
>> > key of table2/id1. Also the options are set to cascade updates and
>> > deletes.
>> >
>> > Now I go into SQL Server Enterprise Manager and:
>> > 1. Create a Table1 record with an id1 = 1
>> > 2. Create a Table2 record with an id1 = 1
>> > 3. I then go back into Table1 and change id1 to a value of 2. The
>> > change
>> > is
>> > immediately reflected in the Table2 record. That's exactly what I
>> > expected
>> > and wanted.
>> >
>> > Now the big question - can I get ADO to do the same thing in memory?
>> >
>> > Now I create a Winforms app in VB/Dot Net 2.0. I add a dataset (xsd)
>> > the
>> > project and drag tables 1 and 2 onto the designer simultaneously so
>> > that
>> > the
>> > relationship comes too. I then create a minimal class inheriting from
>> > the
>> > dataset so I can fill Tables 1 and 2 from the server. I add a pair of
>> > DataGridViews to the form to display Tables 1 and 2.
>> >
>> > If I update Table1, id1, update to the database and reload the data,
>> > the
>> > changes are reflected in Table2 as expected.
>> >
>> > What I cannot figure out is how to immediately show the changes in the
>> > Table2 grid without an update. In other words is there a way to make
>> > the
>> > system do this?
>> >
>> > Am I looking for something that does not exist?

B. Chernick

That's just it. So far, I cannot find any reference to a
foreignkeyconstraint in the designer.vb file (if that's what you're referring
to) so I'm guessing that Visual Studio is not automatically creating it, even
though the xsd designer surface is displaying a relationship by that name.
(The foreign key is stored as a 'system.data.datarelation', but as I
mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to find anyway to use that as a
foreignkeyconstraint.)

Could this have something to do with using SQL Server 2000 rather than 2005?

"Patrice" wrote:

> [...]
> >> identify each record at a *particular* time but the record X you have now
> >> in
> >> your DB could be something else than the record X that was in your DB 3
> >> days
> >> ago i.e. you can't identify records wihtout refering to when).
> >>
> >> Basically the idea is that I say now that this is the record X I don"t
> >> have
> >> to say that this is X . If this is a user controlled value you may want
> >> create a unique index on this colmun and use your own application
> >> internal
> >> primary key...
> >>
> >> A valid scenario though could be to create client side temporary ids
> >> (such
> >> as negavtive value for counters) and update them in cascade when the
> >> update
> >> is commited in the DB. Anoher option would be to use a guid.

In this relation you have a ChildKeyConstraint (that is a
ForeignKeyConstraint) (as well as a ParentKeyConstraint that is a
UniqueConstraint) that should expose UpdateRule, DeleteRule etc...

You may want to rephrase though the exact problem you are trying to solve
now as the introduction was quite general...

Have you tried to change an id in table 1 ? (if I remember cascading is the
default anyway).

--

de news: 1A5AEAF2-BA1B-4839-A4AF-45C2D45F7E3A@microsoft.com...
> That's just it. So far, I cannot find any reference to a
> foreignkeyconstraint in the designer.vb file (if that's what you're
> referring
> to) so I'm guessing that Visual Studio is not automatically creating it,
> even
> though the xsd designer surface is displaying a relationship by that name.
> (The foreign key is stored as a 'system.data.datarelation', but as I
> mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to find anyway to use that as a
> foreignkeyconstraint.)
>
> Could this have something to do with using SQL Server 2000 rather than
> 2005?
>
> "Patrice" wrote:
>
>> Not sure. Your best bet would be likely to check the generated code.
>>
>> Instead of driopping/creating the constraint you can also just
>> acativate/deactivate those constraints. Also if tables are cleared in the
>> correct order iy shiuld likely work...
>>
>> --
>> Patrice
>>

>> "B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> a ?crit dans le
>> message
>> de news: 301FC931-4B25-4BB1-81C7-92F16294C865@microsoft.com...
>> > Dear Patrice,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reference. I've managed to make my example work but I'm
>> > still a bit confused.
>> >
>> > I started with the assumption that the foreign key constraint already
>> > existed in the xsd. I can see it declared in relations, in the XSD
>> > designer
>> > file (or so I thought).
>> >
>> > After some frustration trying to extract a existing foreign key
>> > constraint,
>> > I gave up and copied the code in the example, dropping the constraint
>> > before
>> > the database read (because the fk conflicts with table clears if it
>> > already
>> > exists) and recreating the constraint afterwords. Now the grids do
>> > exactly
>> > what I want, redisplaying the new keys instantly and updating to the db
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > So do I understand this correctly? Whatever that 'relation' in the
>> > designer
>> > may be, it is not a foreign key constraint. Visual Studio XSDs do not
>> > automatically create foreign key constraints. It always has to be done
>> > programmatically?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

B. Chernick

>You may want to rephrase though the exact problem you are trying to solve ...

Actually I have solved the problem by trial and error. I'm just not
completely sure I understand it.

The main problem as I saw it was that I had to display 2 tables in 2 grids
on one screen. Part of the key in the 1st table's record is set by a combo
dropdown in the grid. This same key segment was part of the key for child
records displayed in the second grid. What I was expecting, and what the
boss wanted, was for the key segment in the child records to update instantly
on screen when the parent key value was changed, to display without any
update to the database. This apparently works fine in the database itself.
Part of my confusion, as I mentioned earlier was that I was not sure the
relationship displayed in the xsd was working.

This was my solution: To call this code after every load of datatables.
(Incidentally I also have to drop it before loading data. Otherwise I have
constraint problems, apparently due to the default table clear before fill in
the dataset. But why am I not having the same problem with the relationship
declared through SQL?)

Dim parentColumns(2) As DataColumn
Dim childColumns(2) As DataColumn
Dim fkeyConstraint As ForeignKeyConstraint

parentColumns(0) = Me.Tables("flowcomp").Columns("flow")
childColumns(0) = Me.Tables("fflow").Columns("flow")

parentColumns(1) = Me.Tables("flowcomp").Columns("sid")
childColumns(1) = Me.Tables("fflow").Columns("sid")

parentColumns(2) = Me.Tables("flowcomp").Columns("grp")
childColumns(2) = Me.Tables("fflow").Columns("grp")

fkeyConstraint = New ForeignKeyConstraint( _
"FK_fflow_flowcomp", parentColumns, childColumns)
fkeyConstraint.DeleteRule = Rule.Cascade
fkeyConstraint.UpdateRule = Rule.Cascade

fkeyConstraint.AcceptRejectRule = AcceptRejectRule.Cascade
Me.Tables("fflow").Constraints.Add(fkeyConstraint)
Me.EnforceConstraints = True