microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db

michael kors factory outlet cp32

Katadedajab

12/27/2013 6:03:00 PM

1 Answer

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Miha Markic wrote:

> > My biggest gripe with linq other than the syntax (which is sometimes
> > silly) is the deferred execution. That alone will bring a lot of
> > problems and IMHO way more problems than it solves.
>
> True, it might and probably it will. However, I fail to see a better
> alternative. A developer has to distinguish between an expression
> tree and a query. If he/she doesn't then no tool can help. If
> somebody wants to be on the safe side then ToList() has to be called
> after query is built.

I think it could be solved as every other o/r mapper solves it: by
seeing the query definition as a definition, not as a resultset. It's a
combination of concerns now and that's a code smell.

So if you could do:

var q = from c in nw.Customers select c;

and later on you only could do:

List<Customer> customers = q.Execute();

you would have a better system. Not only is it CLEAR what happens, but
it also separates resultset from query specification.

The above example isn't even great though. For example if you're
reading and updating entities in a loop, you have to have the context
in the loop you're reading and updating the entities in as well.
otherwise you can't read in the same transaction as the updates.

> Anyway, perhaps MS could add a dialog box that pops up when you start
> typeing a query: "Please, click OK if you understand what deffered
> execution is. Otherwise VS will erase your LINQ code."
>
> [OK] [Cancel]

hehehe :)

FB

Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.l...
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp....
Microsoft MVP (C#)