microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db

cheap michael kors handbags sj83

Katadedajab

12/27/2013 5:09:00 PM

4 Answers

Norman Yuan

"Scott M." <s-mar@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:u%23QqtyVBIHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Going from VB to .NET is much more than just an upgrade. As you are
> beginning to find out, .NET is a completely different development platform
> than VB 6.
>
> One of the integrated security features of .NET has to do with running a
> .NET "assembly" from a network location and that is the problem you are
> experiencing. CAPSOL is obsolete as far as .NET is concerned and this is
> why you can't find it.

Obsolete? Since which version?

It is included in all .NET framework (1.0, 1.1 and 2.0), default
installation is "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\[Version]\caspol.exe"

> There is no quick fix here. You must learn about what .NET is all about
> before any one answer makes sense.
>
> Here is one place to start:
> http://www.cgisecurity.com/development/dot...
>

> "MarathonMike" <MarathonMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> After a decade of experience with VB versions, I recently installed
>> VS.net
>> 2005 professional. I ran into security roadblocks when I moved a small
>> test
>> app off my C: drive and onto a network file server.
>>
>> Searching through support.microsoft.com gives lots of complicated
>> explanations and suggestions - none of which proved to be much help yet.
>>
>> I am now wanting to try using CASPOL.EXE, but it is not to be found on my
>> computer. Apparently, installing VS.net pro doesn't produce this file.
>> have installed the SDK for Framework 2.0, but CASPOL.EXE is still
>> missing.
>>
>> I've seen some 'two word' solutions offerred - 'rerun dotnetfx.exe' - but
>> those fail me because I don't have dotnetfx.exe either.
>>
>> Can anybody help? Is this difficulty part of Microsoft's security plan?
>> The concepts of Framework's security setup seem very powerful to me, but
>> why
>> should it be so hard to even begin implementing them? What am I failing
>> see? I've been at searching MSDN for hours now.
>>
>> Thank you for the time and attention.

Patrice

[cut]

> Obsolete? Since which version?

Not obsolete but I remeber also to have seen something about this. If I
remember the CASPOL tool is now part of the SDK and is no more provided in
the base framework installation...

[cut]

-- Patrice

Patrice

I checked this and this is apparently the other way round :

- I thought they left the MMC snapin but it looks like it was removed in
redist
- I thought they removed caspol but it looks like they left it in redist

Seen here :
http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2006/02/08/5...

--
Patrice

"Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/s... a ?crit dans le message de news:
e$u5pdzBIHA.4496@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> [cut]
>
>> Obsolete? Since which version?
>>

> Not obsolete but I remeber also to have seen something about this. If I
> remember the CASPOL tool is now part of the SDK and is no more provided in
> the base framework installation...
>
> [cut]
>
> -- Patrice

Norman Yuan

CASPOL.exe is still part of .NET redist (1.0, 1.1 and 2.0) and will be
effective in 3.0, 3.0, because they are add-on on 2.0 (what a mess!).

the MMC is just GUI tool to use CASPOL.exe, which no longer included in 2.0
redist, and only in 2.0 SDK. Apparently MS thinks developers is less smart
than users: developers need GUI tool to do something, while users can handle
complicated command line tool (CASPOL.exe) very well. Pity developers, in
MS's eyes.