microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db

michael kors outlet canada bkni

Katadedajab

12/26/2013 3:59:00 PM

2 Answers

William Vaughn

Ah, no. You don't have to exclude all Irish surnames from your database.
This was tried at various points in time in the past with disastrous
consequences. The Replace approach forces you to simply repeat any single
quote (apostrophe) to two single quotes just before it's concatenated into a
SQL string. However, as we've discussed, this approach is full of other
issues. The "parameter" approach deals with what I call the O'Malley issue
as well as date formatting and other issues you might not have encountered
yet.

--
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn

"Carl Thomas" <carlmthomas@windstream.net> wrote in message
>I assume by that you mean two apostrophes rather than a singlr quote. OK -
>gotta remember that. But it means I have to go back into the old database
>and change all the apostrophe-bearing words. I think I'll hold onto the
>DataAdapter approach I'm using now which seems to work. I do want to try
>the SqlParameter approach with an INSERT since I suspect it may be a little
>faster. I'll kepp this in mind though. Thanx
>
> Carl
>
> "Tom Garth" <TomGarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> All that you have to do is double up on them. Sinding "O''Hare" will
>> actually
>> send "O'Hare".
>> --
>> Tom Garth
>>

>> "Carl Thomas" wrote:
>>
>>> I have names in a data collection the include apostrophes like O'Hare.
>>> When
>>> I use a simple VC#/ADO.NET approach with an SQL INSERT statement and
>>> cmd.ExecuteNonQuery, it always hangs up on the apostrophe saying that
>>> there
>>> is an unterminated string. When I try using a DataAdapter and
>>> SqlCommandBuilder, it says I need and INSERT statement, although it will
>>> do
>>> data without the apostrophes. Any idea how to handle these cases?
>>> I've
>>> also tried parameters, but the results are the same.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Carl

Carl Thomas

Be'gorra. Since I'm starting ta be playin' with LINQ, can I assume that the
same considerations will be applyin' there?

Carl