microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet

and several stale quizzes arrives

sundar

12/26/2013 4:27:00 AM

nav blower residences <a href=http://ewnikefreerun2.blinkweb.com/1/2013/12/nike-free-runs-3-0-kids-when-may-keratosis-pilaris-75d6... free run 7</a> washer successfull explain to <a href=http://nikefreerumi.fashionblogg.se/492193/free-run-2-mens-In-the-footwear-industr... free run 5</a> thrilling. Nowadays, great toys and sporting equipment are being introduced in the market to allow children to have fun and lose those extra pounds. Toys on wheels <a href=http://cheapnikefreeki.simplesite.com/309164889/1590404/posting/nike-free-tr-2-is-this-be-unhelpful-a... free runs womens</a>
can select to spend a nice evening in Oslo. Clubbing is popular in Norway and many of the downtown bars and nightclubs are open until 3 am.In the corner of the Railway <a href=http://uinikefreerun3.myblog.de/uinikefreerun3/art/7575055/where-to-get-nike-free-run-3-Performance-wi... running shoes</a> low on cash small bowl but furthermore <a href=http://www.nexopia.com/users/nikefree3v4in/blo... nike free run 4.0</a> diamond properties. But other methods have been shown to be more effective in use with various industrial products such as abrasives and machinery such as fine cutting
7 Answers

Stupid1

Tried just like what you typed and I get:
Overload resolution failed because no accessible "New" accepts this number
of arguments

"Scott M." wrote:

> [...]
> > figure out what I am doing wrong.
> > Here is the code... please don't laugh to hard, as this is the first time
> > that I have tried to do this with code-behind, I normally just use a SqlDS
> > on
> > the page, but want to make the page look cleaner...
> > Protected Sub dvDetails_ItemUpdating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> > DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs) Handles dvDetails.ItemUpdating
> > Dim connStr As String =
> > ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("NWConnectionString").ToString()
> > Dim conn As New SqlConnection(connStr)
> > 'Dim strSql As String = "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE
> > EmployeeID=@EmployeeID"
> > Dim upSql As String = "UPDATE Employees SET LastName=@LastName,
> > FirstName=@FirstName, Title=@Title, Address=@Address," & _
> > "City=@City, Region=@Region, PostalCode=@PostalCode,
> > HireDate=@HireDate WHERE EmployeeID=@EmployeeID"
> > Dim da As New SqlDataAdapter
> > Dim ds As New DataSet
> > Dim ds1 As New DataSet
> > Dim upCmd As New SqlCommand(upSql, conn)
> > Dim idParam As SqlParameter = upCmd.Parameters.Add("@EmployeeID",
> > SqlDbType.Int, 4, "EmployeeID")
> >

> > Try
> > ' da.SelectCommand = New SqlCommand(strSql, conn)
> > 'da.Fill(ds, "Employees")
> >
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@LastName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 20,
> > "LastName")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@FirstName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 10,
> > "FirstName")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@Title", SqlDbType.VarChar, 30, "Title")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@Address", SqlDbType.VarChar, 60,
> > "Address")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@City", SqlDbType.VarChar, 15, "City")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@Region", SqlDbType.VarChar, 15,
> > "Region")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@PostalCode", SqlDbType.VarChar, 10,
> > "PostalCode")
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add("@HireDate", SqlDbType.DateTime, 8,
> > "HireDate")
> >
> > idParam.SourceVersion = DataRowVersion.Original
> >
> > conn.Open()
> > 'Update Employees Table
> >
> > ds1 = ds.GetChanges(DataRowState.Modified)
> > da.Update(ds1)
> > ds.Merge(ds1, False, MissingSchemaAction.Add)
> > ds.AcceptChanges()
> > dvDetails.DataBind()
> >
> > Catch ex As Exception
> > 'Display Error
> > Console.WriteLine("Error: " & ex.ToString())
> >
> > Finally
> > 'Close Connection
> > conn.Close()
> > 'Redirect to Home
> > Response.Redirect("~/Default.aspx")
> >
> > End Try
> > End Sub
> >
> > As this is for learning purposes only, if you could please let me know
> > what
> > needs to be changed and the format of the actual update that would be
> > great.
> > I want to start using this on a normal basis, but really want to

Scott M.

You'll need to change the arguments you are passing in to the parameter to
follow the acceptable signature. Look at the intellisense of VS while
typing out the line and it will tell you what the correct possibilites are.

> [...]
>> >
>> > ds1 = ds.GetChanges(DataRowState.Modified)
>> > da.Update(ds1)
>> > ds.Merge(ds1, False, MissingSchemaAction.Add)
>> > ds.AcceptChanges()
>> > dvDetails.DataBind()
>> >
>> > Catch ex As Exception
>> > 'Display Error
>> > Console.WriteLine("Error: " & ex.ToString())
>> >
>> > Finally
>> > 'Close Connection
>> > conn.Close()
>> > 'Redirect to Home
>> > Response.Redirect("~/Default.aspx")
>> >
>> > End Try
>> > End Sub
>> >
>> > As this is for learning purposes only, if you could please let me know
>> > what
>> > needs to be changed and the format of the actual update that would be
>> > great.
>> > I want to start using this on a normal basis, but really want to

Stupid1

changed the argument to : upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName",
TypeCode.Char, "LastName"))
I no longer get any errors, but I am still not updating the db.

"Scott M." wrote:

> You'll need to change the arguments you are passing in to the parameter to
> follow the acceptable signature. Look at the intellisense of VS while
> typing out the line and it will tell you what the correct possibilites are.
>
> "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tried just like what you typed and I get:
> > Overload resolution failed because no accessible "New" accepts this number
> > of arguments
> >

> > "Scott M." wrote:
> >
> >> It doesn't look like you are instantiating your parameter objects, try
> >> this:
> >> upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 20,
> >> "LastName"))
> >>

> >> "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Scott M.

Because it doesn't look like you are assigning a value to the parameter.
You need to look at how to create parameter objects. Try this:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlparameter.sqlpara...

The simplest form would be:
Dim lName As String = "Smith"
upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", lName))

> changed the argument to : upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName",
> TypeCode.Char, "LastName"))
> I no longer get any errors, but I am still not updating the db.
>
> "Scott M." wrote:
>
>> You'll need to change the arguments you are passing in to the parameter
>> follow the acceptable signature. Look at the intellisense of VS while
>> typing out the line and it will tell you what the correct possibilites
>> are.
>>
>> "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Tried just like what you typed and I get:
>> > Overload resolution failed because no accessible "New" accepts this
>> > number
>> > of arguments

Stupid1

along with you on this joy ride :)
I did this for each textbox, based off an example found at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.templatefield.edititemtemplate...

Dim lname As TextBox = CType(dvDetails.FindControl("LName"), TextBox)
e.NewValues("lname1") = lname.Text
upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", TypeCode.Char, "lname1"))

Now if I understand properly this should be converting the LName control in
the dvDetails container to a textbox, then assigning the text property of the
control to the e.NewValues of the LastName field of the Row in the DB.
e.NewValues is what is used to update the db. Am I correct in my thinking?

I still do not get the data saved to the db, but I wanted to show that I am
learning, I am just lost as to what I keep doing wrong.

Thanks,
Stupid1

"Scott M." wrote:

> Because it doesn't look like you are assigning a value to the parameter.
> You need to look at how to create parameter objects. Try this:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlparameter.sqlpara...
>
> The simplest form would be:
> Dim lName As String = "Smith"
> upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", lName))
>

> "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > changed the argument to : upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName",
> > TypeCode.Char, "LastName"))
> > I no longer get any errors, but I am still not updating the db.
> >
> > "Scott M." wrote:
> >
> >> You'll need to change the arguments you are passing in to the parameter
> >> follow the acceptable signature. Look at the intellisense of VS while
> >> typing out the line and it will tell you what the correct possibilites
> >> are.
> >>
> >> "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stupid1

Also I was having a brain fart and had my error handling setup wrong... now I
get the following displayed when I update:
System.InvalidCastException: The SqlParameterCollection only accepts
non-null SqlParameter type objects, not Parameter objects.

I am trying to find what this means and that might just resolve my issues.

"Stupid1" wrote:

> along with you on this joy ride :)
> I did this for each textbox, based off an example found at:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.templatefield.edititemtemplate...
>
> Dim lname As TextBox = CType(dvDetails.FindControl("LName"), TextBox)
> e.NewValues("lname1") = lname.Text
> upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", TypeCode.Char, "lname1"))
>
> Now if I understand properly this should be converting the LName control in
> the dvDetails container to a textbox, then assigning the text property of the
> control to the e.NewValues of the LastName field of the Row in the DB.
> e.NewValues is what is used to update the db. Am I correct in my thinking?
>
> I still do not get the data saved to the db, but I wanted to show that I am
> learning, I am just lost as to what I keep doing wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Stupid1
>
> "Scott M." wrote:
>
> > Because it doesn't look like you are assigning a value to the parameter.
> > You need to look at how to create parameter objects. Try this:
> >
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlparameter.sqlpara...
> >
> > The simplest form would be:
> > Dim lName As String = "Smith"
> > upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName", lName))
> >

> > "Stupid1" <Stupid1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > changed the argument to : upCmd.Parameters.Add(New Parameter("@LastName",
> > > TypeCode.Char, "LastName"))
> > > I no longer get any errors, but I am still not updating the db.

Stupid1

I must have something seriously messed up. I am trying to delare the
parameters, upCmd.Parameters.Add(*****), but the ".Add" is not available?????
What in the world am I doing wrong?

upCmd is declared as: Dim upCmd As New SqlCommand(upSql, conn)
and upSql is my String that contains the update command, conn is the
conenction to the db.

now I am really lost