microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

VB6 builtin Add-in Toolbar

k_zeon

8/5/2012 1:40:00 PM

I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.

I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
Reset all the Toolbars etc
My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.

Can anyone help.
10 Answers

Ralph

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 06:39:48 -0700 (PDT), Silvermaine
<silvermaine2000@googlemail.com> wrote:

>I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
>I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
>I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
>Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.

This error comes about because the Interface that IS registered
doesn't match the component it finds to support that Interface. So
what you have is an unmatched registration.

Now before you go "Well, Duh!" <g>
Think about that for a moment.

To fix the problem all you have to do is make sure there is one and
only one component that supports a given interface, that component is
the only one registered, and that you are not somehow subtly modifying
the component and then failing to re-register the new version.

1) Close VBIDE
2) Unregister any copies of 'My addin' that might be lying around.
3) Delete all the old copies, saving one.
4) Register the DLL
5) Set up your "My Addins".
6) Make sure you are using Binary Compatibility.

There isn't enough information to provide a more complete answer.

>I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
>Reset all the Toolbars etc
>My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.
>
>Can anyone help.

k_zeon

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:39:48 PM UTC+1, Silvermaine wrote:
> I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
>
> I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
>
> I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
>
> Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.
>

> I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
>
> Reset all the Toolbars etc
>
> My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.
>

> Can anyone help.

Hi Ralph

thanks for the reply. As mentioned though, it is VB6's own addins that are causing an issue as well, not just my addin.
If i dont use the Addin Toolbar and just use the Menu to access my addin or any other it works ok.
As soon as i load up the VB6 Builtin Addin toolbar so it is in the IDE and select any addin so the icon appears , then close VB6 IDE and reopen, i get the error msg and then a blank space where the icon was.
Its as if the Addin Toolbar is not working correctly or not registered correctly.

Ralph

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 09:03:27 -0700 (PDT), Silvermaine
<silvermaine2000@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:39:48 PM UTC+1, Silvermaine wrote:
>> I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
>>
>> I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
>>
>> I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
>>
>> Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.
>>

>> I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
>>
>> Reset all the Toolbars etc
>>
>> My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.
>>

>> Can anyone help.
>
>Hi Ralph
>
>thanks for the reply. As mentioned though, it is VB6's own
>addins that are causing an issue as well, not just my addin.
>If i dont use the Addin Toolbar and just use the Menu to
>access my addin or any other it works ok.
>As soon as i load up the VB6 Builtin Addin toolbar so it is in
> the IDE and select any addin so the icon appears , then
>close VB6 IDE and reopen, i get the error msg and then
>a blank space where the icon was.
>Its as if the Addin Toolbar is not working correctly or
>not registered correctly.

For that error the same principle is involved no matter who appears to
be complaining. (It is always possible that it is not actually the
Addin Toolbar that is the problem, but something else closely
associated with it.) Thus don't go looking for something too exotic or
mysterious.

Somewhere, somehow a mismatch has occurred. It is most likely due to
something you did or are doing, but most important it IS something you
can track down. <g>

The registry location for the Add-In toolbar is
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual
Basic\AddInToolbar).

Here is a shotgun blast of things to play with... <g>

Check that entry.
Make sure you have only one entry for each component.
Make sure there is one and only one component for each entry.
Run a Registery Checker/Cleaner.
If you can, install WinDbg, and let it ferret out the actual
call/method and component.
Delete all the cache files (.oca). (VB will rebuild them.)
Checkout the MSCOMCTL.OCX component.
You can download the latest here ...
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.asp...

Double-check the Project References.

-ralph

k_zeon

On Monday, August 6, 2012 1:18:38 AM UTC+1, ralph wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 09:03:27 -0700 (PDT), Silvermaine
>
> <silvermaine2000@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> >On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:39:48 PM UTC+1, Silvermaine wrote:
>
> >> I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
>

> >> I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
>

> >> I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
>

> >> Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.
>

> >> I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
>

> >> Reset all the Toolbars etc
>

> >> My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.
>

> >> Can anyone help.
>

> >Hi Ralph
>

> >thanks for the reply. As mentioned though, it is VB6's own
>
> >addins that are causing an issue as well, not just my addin.
>
> >If i dont use the Addin Toolbar and just use the Menu to
>
> >access my addin or any other it works ok.
>
> >As soon as i load up the VB6 Builtin Addin toolbar so it is in
>
> > the IDE and select any addin so the icon appears , then
>
> >close VB6 IDE and reopen, i get the error msg and then
>
> >a blank space where the icon was.
>
> >Its as if the Addin Toolbar is not working correctly or
>
> >not registered correctly.
>

> For that error the same principle is involved no matter who appears to
>
> be complaining. (It is always possible that it is not actually the
>
> Addin Toolbar that is the problem, but something else closely
>
> associated with it.) Thus don't go looking for something too exotic or
>
> mysterious.
>

> Somewhere, somehow a mismatch has occurred. It is most likely due to
>
> something you did or are doing, but most important it IS something you
>
> can track down. <g>
>

> The registry location for the Add-In toolbar is
>
> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual
>
> Basic\AddInToolbar).
>

> Here is a shotgun blast of things to play with... <g>
>

> Check that entry.
>
> Make sure you have only one entry for each component.
>
> Make sure there is one and only one component for each entry.
>
> Run a Registery Checker/Cleaner.
>
> If you can, install WinDbg, and let it ferret out the actual
>
> call/method and component.
>
> Delete all the cache files (.oca). (VB will rebuild them.)
>
> Checkout the MSCOMCTL.OCX component.
>
> You can download the latest here ...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.asp...

> Double-check the Project References.
>

> -ralph

Hi Ralph

Thanks for the reply, found out that the new version of ZoneAlarm 10 is interfereing with this toolbar add-in.
If I exit ZA then it works as expected. If ZA is running as it should , the error msg appears.
If i turn evrything off in ZA then i still get the msg.
Have been intouch with ZA reps via chat, but they cannot help.

Somehow just having ZA running is causing this issue.

Any thoughts

thanks

Garry

Ralph

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:22:17 -0700 (PDT), Silvermaine
<silvermaine2000@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hi Ralph
>
>Thanks for the reply, found out that the new version of
>ZoneAlarm 10 is interfereing with this toolbar add-in.
>If I exit ZA then it works as expected. If ZA is running
>as it should , the error msg appears.
>If i turn evrything off in ZA then i still get the msg.
>Have been intouch with ZA reps via chat, but they cannot help.
>
>Somehow just having ZA running is causing this issue.
>
>Any thoughts

Wow. Thanks for the reply.

I am not surprised that the ZA reps can not immediately help. Using a
Win7 32-bit box with Zone Alarm 10 installed, I can not reproduce the
error. That upgrades the problem from "annoying" to " very nasty". <g>

[Of course there is no way of knowing how closely my VB install and
environment matches yours.]

I suggest running WinDbg to capture the Call Stack at the point of the
error and supplying ZA with that information might help.

-ralph

k_zeon

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:39:48 PM UTC+1, Silvermaine wrote:
> I have added the Add-in Toolbar to the VB6 IDE and added an addin.
>
> I can click the icon for my addin, it works.
>
> I then close the IDE and re Open and I get Method of Object Failed ,Click to get rid of msgbox and No icon but a space where it was.
>
> Even if i add one of VB6's own addons. It still does it as iff the Add-in toolbar is not registered correctly.
>

> I uninstalled VB6 and reinstalled to no avail.
>
> Reset all the Toolbars etc
>
> My addins do not use any database's as i have seen a mention that MDAC was a prob.
>

> Can anyone help.

think i will try an XP Pro virtual enviroment with only VB6 and ZA installed and see how that goes.

Karl E. Peterson

After serious thinking ralph wrote :
> The registry location for the Add-In toolbar is
> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual
> Basic\AddInToolbar).

Hmmmm, what's it mean if that simply isn't there?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Mike Williams

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> After serious thinking ralph wrote :
>> The registry location for the Add-In toolbar is
>> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual
>> Basic\AddInToolbar).
>
> Hmmmm, what's it mean if that simply isn't there?

For VB6 wouldn't it be under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualBasic\6.0\AddIns

Mike

Karl E. Peterson

Mike Williams wrote on 8/8/2012 :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> After serious thinking ralph wrote :
>>> The registry location for the Add-In toolbar is
>>> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual
>>> Basic\AddInToolbar).
>>
>> Hmmmm, what's it mean if that simply isn't there?
>
> For VB6 wouldn't it be under:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualBasic\6.0\AddIns

D'oh! Brain fart...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Ralph

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:01:02 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Mike Williams wrote on 8/8/2012 :
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hmmmm, what's it mean if that simply isn't there?
>>
>> For VB6 wouldn't it be under:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualBasic\6.0\AddIns
>
>D'oh! Brain fart...

Ha. Me too.

I just did a quick search, found it, and posted.

Perhaps it would be best if one "read" what they posted. <bg>

-ralph