comp.lang.c++

thinking in object oriented fashion

sri

12/15/2008 2:29:00 PM

apart from learning the constructs, i need also to figure out how to
design an application using oop. I have for most part found this to be
clearly a overhead and have also given up think in oop and that too in
C++. C is probably the best way, when using agile methods and scrum in
a project. Have you been able to think in C++ and deliver software
quickly ?

Thanks for your insights.
Sri
3 Answers

Daniel T.

sri <sriramcr@gmail.com> wrote:

> apart from learning the constructs, i need also to figure out how to
> design an application using oop. I have for most part found this to be
> clearly a overhead and have also given up think in oop and that too in
> C++. C is probably the best way, when using agile methods and scrum in
> a project. Have you been able to think in C++ and deliver software
> quickly ?

Yes. Somehow though, I expect this is a troll...

Rolf Magnus

sri wrote:

> apart from learning the constructs, i need also to figure out how to
> design an application using oop. I have for most part found this to be
> clearly a overhead and have also given up think in oop and that too in
> C++. C is probably the best way, when using agile methods and scrum in
> a project. Have you been able to think in C++ and deliver software
> quickly ?

It depends. Some applications clearly benefit a lot from object oriented
programming, others not so much. That's the nice thing about C++. It
directly supports both.

Salt_Peter

On Dec 15, 9:29 am, sri <srira...@gmail.com> wrote:
> apart from learning the constructs, i need also to figure out how to
> design an application using oop. I have for most part found this to be
> clearly a overhead and have also given up think in oop and that too in
> C++. C is probably the best way, when using agile methods and scrum in
> a project. Have you been able to think in C++ and deliver software
> quickly ?
>
> Thanks for your insights.
> Sri

Overhead is the inability to use an existing code base because client
1 needs to use the code differently than client 2. Overhead is having
to rewrite the entire application due to a minor change or extension.

So your client now needs a new Special Widget? He or she wants to
introduce the new type into the original code? The C programmer
shivers and needs one week while the OOP programmer laughs and does it
in 15 minutes or less, test-cased and delivered. OOP means your code
works with types that don't exist yet (if the infrastructure is
properly designed). Often enough, client extend code effortlessly,
diagnostics detail whats missing (pure virtual member functions,
missing operators, etc).

OOP isn't always a solution, however, when its available as an option
and properly designed its hard to beat.