Serial Port Control with Ruby

Sathish Babu

6/12/2009 8:53:00 AM

Hi All,

I am facing problem with serial port acees in windows-xp system

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_re
quire': no such file to load -- ../Win32Serial (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `re
quire'
from C:/Documents and Settings/s_babu/Desktop/AUTO/serial1.rb:1

C:\Documents and Settings\s_babu\Desktop\ru\win32serial>nmake makefi
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I am getting the errors
please help me
how can i acesss serial port through ruby in windows OS

Thanks,
sathish

Srijayanth Sridhar

C:\Documents and Settings\s_babu\Desktop\ru>
> win32serial>nmake makefi
> 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

What is that trying to tell you? Read it a few times, take a deep breath,
think about it over coffee .

Jayanth

Sathish Babu

Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
> C:\Documents and Settings\s_babu\Desktop\ru>>
>> win32serial>nmake makefi
>> 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file.
>

> What is that trying to tell you? Read it a few times, take a deep
> breath,
> think about it over coffee .
>
> Jayanth

Hi Jayanth,

I want to acess comport(RS-232) through ruby.......
u got it
i am facing above errors

Srijayanth Sridhar

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Sathish Babu <ysathishbabu@gmail.com>wrote:

> Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
> > C:\Documents and Settings\s_babu\Desktop\ru> >>
> >> win32serial>nmake makefi
> >> 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> >> operable program or batch file.
> >

> > What is that trying to tell you? Read it a few times, take a deep
> > breath,
> > think about it over coffee .
> >
> > Jayanth
>
> Hi Jayanth,
>
> I want to acess comport(RS-232) through ruby.......
> u got it
> i am facing above errors

Let me put it to you this way. If you aren't able to understand the error
message that its giving you, there is nobody here who can help you access
the com port. Please be more clear. Construct short sentences, lay them down
one by one in a logical sequence as follows:

1) I need to access the serial port.
2) I tried installing <name_of_gem>
3) It won't compile.
4) Why?
5) It won't compile because <figure it out>

Jayanth

Sathish Babu

Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Sathish Babu
> <ysathishbabu@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
>> > C:\Documents and Settings\s_babu\Desktop\ru>> >>
>> >

>> u got it
>> i am facing above errors
>

> Let me put it to you this way. If you aren't able to understand the
> error
> message that its giving you, there is nobody here who can help you
> access
> the com port. Please be more clear. Construct short sentences, lay them
> down
> one by one in a logical sequence as follows:
>
> 1) I need to access the serial port.
> 2) I tried installing <name_of_gem>
> 3) It won't compile.
> 4) Why?
> 5) It won't compile because <figure it out>
>
> Jayanth

Ok jayanth,
this is the frist time i m sending query..
ok
1.I need acees to the comport COM1.
2. I try to install "win32serial",install -c -p -m 0755 serialport.so
but its not working.
i m getting above shown errors.
please tell me how to use serial port in windows

Srijayanth Sridhar

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Sathish Babu <ysathishbabu@gmail.com>wrote:

> Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Sathish Babu
> > <ysathishbabu@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> u got it
> >> i am facing above errors
> >

> > Let me put it to you this way. If you aren't able to understand the
> > error
> > message that its giving you, there is nobody here who can help you
> > access
> > the com port. Please be more clear. Construct short sentences, lay them
> > down
> > one by one in a logical sequence as follows:
> >
> > 1) I need to access the serial port.
> > 2) I tried installing <name_of_gem>
> > 3) It won't compile.
> > 4) Why?
> > 5) It won't compile because <figure it out>
> >
> > Jayanth
>
> Ok jayanth,
> this is the frist time i m sending query..
> ok
> 1.I need acees to the comport COM1.
> 2. I try to install "win32serial",install -c -p -m 0755 serialport.so
> but its not working.
> i m getting above shown errors.
> please tell me how to use serial port in windows

Sathish,

The error you face is not a Ruby problem. What happens when you type in
Sathish in a command prompt? Try opening a command prompt in windows, and
type in Sathish. You will get a "Bad Command Or Filename" or something like
that. Why do you think this happens? Why does the command line not recognize
the name Sathish?

Jayanth