rendering html on pdf

twittwit

6/11/2009 8:36:00 PM

Hi all,

i want to render some html text into pdf using ruby's pdf writer.

however, the pdf.text cannot deliver that.

does anybody has a solution for that?

thanks in advance!
3 Answers

Gregory Brown

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM, twittwit<ytbryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i want to render some html text into pdf using ruby's pdf writer.
>
> however, the pdf.text cannot deliver that.
>
> does anybody has a solution for that?

If your needs are very basic, try Prawn::Format.
If you can use JRuby, try FlyingSaucer
If you have lots of $$$, Try PrinceXML
If you are persuasive, convince Aaron Patterson to write his html2pdf
formatter for Prawn.

-greg

twittwit

thanks greg.

On Jun 11, 10:44 pm, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM, twittwit<ytbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > i want to render some html text into pdf using ruby's pdf writer.
>
> > however, the pdf.text cannot deliver that.
>
> > does anybody has a solution for that?
>
> If your needs are very basic, try Prawn::Format.
> If you can use JRuby, try FlyingSaucer
> If you have lots of $$$, Try PrinceXML
> If you are persuasive, convince Aaron Patterson to write his html2pdf
> formatter for Prawn.
>
> -greg

Charles O Nutter

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Gregory Brown<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your needs are very basic, try Prawn::Format.
> If you can use JRuby, try FlyingSaucer
> If you have lots of $$$, Try PrinceXML

In talking with Yehuda Katz, it sounds like iText/FlyingSaucer does
just about everything you would pay $$$ for in PrinceXML, so I'd
strongly suggest going that route. You could even set up a JRuby
Sinatra/DRB server just for this...it would be worth it.

- Charlie