Re: [Security] Ruby 1.8.6-pl369 released

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: [Security] Ruby 1.8.6-pl369 released"
on Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:28:06 +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter <headius@headius.com> writes:

|1.9.1 appears to produce Float::MAX or Float::MIN for exponents
|outside float range, not Inf. It seems like the possibility of it
|running forever trying to produce an impossibly large Bignum should be
|addressed in some similar way.

1.9.2 BigDecimal#to_f produces Inf for too big numbers. I am not sure
what we can do for BigDecimal#to_i yet.

matz.

18 Answers

Charles O Nutter

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto<matz@ruby-lang.org> wr=
ote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: [Security] Ruby 1.8.6-pl369 released"
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0on Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:28:06 +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter <h=
eadius@headius.com> writes:

> |1.9.1 appears to produce Float::MAX or Float::MIN for exponents
> |outside float range, not Inf. It seems like the possibility of it
> |running forever trying to produce an impossibly large Bignum should be
> |addressed in some similar way.
>
> 1.9.2 BigDecimal#to_f produces Inf for too big numbers. =C2=A0I am not su=
re
> what we can do for BigDecimal#to_i yet.

So Inf is official behavior then? I'm in process of at least getting
JRuby up to 1.9.x behavior for these cases.

Perhaps we can examine the size of the exponent for to_i to determine
whether it's within a reasonable range?

- Charlie

moonpie

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:53:06 -0700 (PDT), topazgalaxy
<topazgalaxy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey, maybe our health care could be the same way. If a person is sick
>instead of calling their doctor's office, they get a nurse/medical
>assistant in the Phillipines who gives them advice.
>Do you think our POTUS or Congress would want to get their health care
>that way? :)

There was a furor a few years ago, that members of congress were not
susceptible or responsible for personally adhering to the provisions
of the Healthcare Law they passed. IE, the provisions of the law did
not apply to them.

was that for real, or was it made up by the right; and if it was real,
was it ever resolved?

Fattuchus

On Oct 19, 10:09 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 03:00:37 -0700 (PDT), topazgalaxy
>

> <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I suspect no one actually has that name.
>
> >> For some reason, you think it's amusing that Indians generally don't
> >> have Western names and instead of actually using an Indian name, you
> >> used a string of gibberish to make fun of their "weird" names.
>
> >> Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny.
>
> >> And you wonder why people think you're a racist.
>
> >It is evident to me that for some reason, you are hypercritical when
> >it comes to  posts that Fatts makes.   You mean well but sometimes
> >you lose the forest for the trees.
> >The general issue  being discussed was when  a person who is American
> >calls  AMERICA  on line and is shunted involuntarily to a call center
> >that is clearly not American,
> >and then is speaking to someone who claims their  name is John or
> >Mary  and does not tell the caller that it is a 'stage name'.
>
> NONE of that bothers me at all. If I could understand what they're
> saying, I wouldnt care if they told me their name was Elvis Pressley.

It annoys me (somewhat) because it's a bullsh*t lie and because these
big companies do it, IMO,
as a public relations ploy. Some of these companies want to trick the
American caller into
thinking the person helping them is in the US. How does it look if a
company called
"America Online" outsources most of its jobs to Asia, especially when
there are so
many unemployed here?

Fattuchus

On Oct 19, 8:22 am, BlackMonk <BlackM...@msn.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 4:22 AM, Fattuchus wrote:

> >> I suspect no one actually has that name.
>
> >> For some reason, you think it's amusing that Indians generally don't
> >> have Western names and instead of actually using an Indian name, you
> >> used a string of gibberish to make fun of their "weird" names.
>
> >> Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny.
>
> >> And you wonder why people think you're a racist.
>
> > Another personal attack?  How many times have I asked you to stop?
>
> Sorry, but when you make a statement in a public forum, it's legitimate
> for anyone to comment on it.

True, but you have a bad habit of attacking me personally. You've
done a few times,
and I asked you politely to stop.

When you make a statement that makes you
> look like a bigot, it's perfectly reasonable for me to point it out.-

IMO your statement went a bit further than that . . . .you said people
think
I'm a racist, and your comment suggested that lie was true. I take
offense to that.

UsurperTom

On Oct 19, 4:22 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How many times have I asked you to stop?

He's bitter that his father abandoned him.

UsurperTom

On Oct 19, 8:24 am, BlackMonk <BlackM...@msn.com> wrote:

> Do you approve of that?

What do you do for Father's Day?

Jeff

On Oct 19, 1:31 pm, UsurperTom <Usurper...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 4:22 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > How many times have I asked you to stop?
>
> He's bitter that his father abandoned him.

Why don't you shut the fuck up? Every time you say
this, it just shows what a loser you are. No matter
how much you dislike somebody, you don't say
something like that.

UsurperTom

On Oct 19, 3:32 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> you don't say something like that.

BlackMonk calls posters he disagrees with racists, anti-Semites,
trolls and other epithets. He also has insulted other posters'
mothers. Because Jeff has mental problems, he doesn't see this.

BlackMonk

On 10/19/2011 11:32 AM, Fattuchus wrote:
> On Oct 19, 8:22 am, BlackMonk<BlackM...@msn.com> wrote:

>>> Another personal attack? How many times have I asked you to stop?
>>
>> Sorry, but when you make a statement in a public forum, it's legitimate
>> for anyone to comment on it.
>

> True, but you have a bad habit of attacking me personally. You've
> done a few times,
> and I asked you politely to stop.

I believe you said that all that's required for evil to succeed is for
good men to do nothing.

With that in mind, when you're being dishonest, I'm going to call you
dishonest, when you're acting like a bigot, I'm going to call you like a
bigot.

How would I suggest that I point out when you're being dishonest or
bigoted without saying that you're being dishonest and bigoted?

> When you make a statement that makes you
>> look like a bigot, it's perfectly reasonable for me to point it out.-
>
> IMO your statement went a bit further than that . . . .you said people
> think
> I'm a racist, and your comment suggested that lie was true. I take
> offense to that.

I said "And you wonder why people think you're a racist."

Do you dispute that people have said that you're a racist? That's public
record.

Are you curious as to why they call you a racist or do you already know,
but persist in those behaviors? I'd think the latter would reflect worse
on you.

Your little witticism, I believe, is a perfect example of why people
would call you a racist.

Any real Beatle fan would have been able to call up at least one actual
Indian name without thinking about it and, after all the discussion
about George and his beliefs recently, it's ironic, to say the least,
that you would find what you said humorous.

Jeff

On Oct 19, 3:26 pm, UsurperTom <Usurper...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 3:32 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > you don't say something like that.
>
> BlackMonk calls posters he disagrees with racists, anti-Semites,
> trolls and other epithets. He also has insulted other posters'
> mothers. Because Jeff has mental problems, he doesn't see this.

Better watch out, better not cry, better not pout cause I'm
tellin' you why, Santa Clause is comin' to town.