Any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer?

Benjamin L. Russell

6/10/2009 6:54:00 AM

Are there any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer for Windows?
The current Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer (see
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/47082/ruby186-...) seems
rather outdated.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell / DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.word...

Roger Pack

> Are there any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer for Windows?
> The current Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer (see
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/47082/ruby186-...) seems
> rather outdated.

There's plans for it...currently all there are are zip files

Here's a blog on it:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/05/rubyinstaller-state-of-...

and a few instructions on unzipping them

http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-inst...

Cheers!
-=r

Benjamin L. Russell

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:35:53 -0500, Roger Pack
<rogerpack2005@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are there any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer for Windows?
>> The current Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer (see
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/47082/ruby186-...) seems
>> rather outdated.
>
>There's plans for it...currently all there are are zip files
>
>Here's a blog on it:
>

>and a few instructions on unzipping them
>
>http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-inst...

I just read the sites referenced by both links, but although the site
referenced by the second one was entitled "ruby 1.9 one click
installer," it actually seemed to be nothing more than instructions
for manually unzipping the {1.8.6,1.9}.7z file and the devkit.
Therefore, if I follow those instructions, I am likely still to be
missing the following components (all found in the 1.8.6 One-Click
Installer):

1) An uninstaller

2) Start Menu/Desktop logos/icons

3) Bundled Ruby documentation

4) Bundled Ruby Gems

5) Bundled fxri - Interactive Ruby Help & Console

6) Bundled SciTE

I already unzipped ruby-1.9.1-p0-i386-mswin32.zip several months ago,
but was disappointed by the lack of the above. The only component
that the instructions add to what I already have is the devkit.

Does this mean that the only way to have a 1.9.1 version equivalent to
the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer for Windows is to follow the
instructions at the site referenced by first link (entitled
"RubyInstaller - State of One-Click") and perform the following steps
(essentially building and debugging one mostly from scratch)?

>Download those versions (including the fake DevKit), put your helmet,
>gloves and start using it like I do. Some tips:
>
> * Add the compiler to the PATH when installing gems that contains
>extensions.
>
> If you gem fails during installation and shows the Building native
>extensions legend that means you need the compiler around
>
> * Check for RUBY_PLATFORM in the gems
>
> If the gem doesn’t work after that, peek into the gem code for
>RUBY_PLATFORM conditions and see if mingw is being considered
>
> * Ask the developer to provide native versions of the gem
>
> If the gem requires several libraries and other stuff. Politely request
>the gem author to create a native binary of that gem for Windows.
>
> Point him to rake-compiler project, and some projects that includes
>tasks for building cross platform packages.
>
>As a last resource, ask them join rubyinstaller-users list and ask questions
>about to improve the cross-platform compatibility of their projects.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell / DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.word...
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile: +011 81 80-3603-6725
-- Matsuo Basho^

Christopher Dicely

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Roger Pack<rogerpack2005@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer for Windows?
>> The current Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer (see
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/47082/ruby186-...) seems
>> rather outdated.
>
> There's plans for it...currently all there are are zip files
>
> Here's a blog on it:
>
> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/05/rubyinstaller-state-of-...
>
> and a few instructions on unzipping them
>
> http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-inst...

Am I missing something, in either the archives or the instructions, or
is the Ruby 1.9.1-p129 .7z archive missing all the ruby scripts that
should be in /bin? It seems to work fine if one unpacks those from the
1.9.1-p129 source archive from ruby-lang after following the
instructions you give, but I would assume that those should be
included, not need to be brought in separately.

Roger Pack

> I just read the sites referenced by both links, but although the site
> referenced by the second one was entitled "ruby 1.9 one click
> installer," it actually seemed to be nothing more than instructions
> for manually unzipping the {1.8.6,1.9}.7z file and the devkit.
> Therefore, if I follow those instructions, I am likely still to be
> missing the following components (all found in the 1.8.6 One-Click
> Installer):

True--that ain't a one click installer but more of manual steps for
installing a working ruby version (which otherwise would have taken far
more clicks).

> 1) An uninstaller
>
> 2) Start Menu/Desktop logos/icons
>
> 3) Bundled Ruby documentation
>
> 4) Bundled Ruby Gems
>
> 5) Bundled fxri - Interactive Ruby Help & Console
>
> 6) Bundled SciTE

those aren't in the zip file [which ain't a one click installer yet].
If you want all the goodies you'll need to help the one click people out
to get it released.

> I already unzipped ruby-1.9.1-p0-i386-mswin32.zip several months ago,
> but was disappointed by the lack of the above. The only component
> that the instructions add to what I already have is the devkit.

They also add openssl, libiconv, readline, etc. Other than that it
should be the same. Oh, and the devkit :)

> Does this mean that the only way to have a 1.9.1 version equivalent to
> the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer for Windows is to follow the
> instructions at the site referenced by first link (entitled
> "RubyInstaller - State of One-Click") and perform the following steps
> (essentially building and debugging one mostly from scratch)?

I'm not sure I've never actually build the installer--it would appear
from luis' post [1] that it is possible to build your own.

Cheers!
-=r
[1]
http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/05/rubyinstaller-state-of-...

Roger Pack

> Does this mean that the only way to have a 1.9.1 version equivalent to
> the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer for Windows is to follow the
> instructions at the site referenced by first link (entitled
> "RubyInstaller - State of One-Click") and perform the following steps
> (essentially building and debugging one mostly from scratch)?

The wxruby folks have a ruby windows 1.9 installer, as well, now that I
think about it. Haven't used it but you can try it.
-=r
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?g...

Gordon Thiesfeld

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Christopher Dicely<cmdicely@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something, in either the archives or the instructions, or
> is the Ruby 1.9.1-p129 .7z archive missing all the ruby scripts that
> should be in /bin? It seems to work fine if one unpacks those from the
> 1.9.1-p129 source archive from ruby-lang after following the
> instructions you give, but I would assume that those should be
> included, not need to be brought in separately.

Are you talking about these?

erb
gem
irb
rake
rdoc
ri
testrb

I see them all in the bin dir of the .7z file.

Luis Lavena

On Jun 11, 1:35 am, Benjamin L. Russell <DekuDekup...@Yahoo.com>
wrote:
> [..]
>
> I just read the sites referenced by both links, but although the site
> referenced by the second one was entitled "ruby 1.9 one click
> installer," it actually seemed to be nothing more than instructions
> for manually unzipping the {1.8.6,1.9}.7z file and the devkit.
> Therefore, if I follow those instructions, I am likely still to be
> missing the following components (all found in the 1.8.6 One-Click
> Installer):
>
> 1) An uninstaller
>
> 2) Start Menu/Desktop logos/icons
>
> 3) Bundled Ruby documentation
>
> 4) Bundled Ruby Gems
>
> 5) Bundled fxri - Interactive Ruby Help & Console
>
> 6) Bundled SciTE

Sorry to be negative, but all the above points has been covered in
that post and previous ones about the missing or different features.

The packages are up to date, but lack installers since there LOT OF
THINGS to be fixed prior a mass release.

> I already unzipped ruby-1.9.1-p0-i386-mswin32.zip several months ago,
> but was disappointed by the lack of the above.  The only component
> that the instructions add to what I already have is the devkit.

mswin32 builds downloaded from ruby-lang must follow gargabecollect
instructions, please Google for that and you will find those.

Let's make things clear: current One-Click Installer is built around
mswin32 builds downloaded from the same place, plus it downloads and
package all the things that you manually need to get if you download
the updated zip files.

I've tried to get the build instructions used by the garbagecollect
builders without luck. build One-Click Installer is a tedious task and
testing all the bundled component is even more.

The lack of the documentation as you mention is the lack of user
contributing to help built it. Ruby itself should be complicted to
use, you unpack and put it in the PATH, that's it.

No gems or packages are bundled with it, since we are trying to put it
on diet and make it more easy to release updates.

> Does this mean that the only way to have a 1.9.1 version equivalent to
> the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer for Windows is to follow the
> instructions at the site referenced by first link (entitled
> "RubyInstaller - State of One-Click") and perform the following steps
> (essentially building and debugging one mostly from scratch)?

No, you could grab the binaries, unpack them, add to your PATH and on
newer versions update them.

Installers will be created, but are not top priority. Top priority is
make Ruby itself work, which is complicated since lot of tests are
failing on Windows.

Build from scratch is nothing different than what Linux or OSX users
did in the past.

Patches to the whole process, including documentation are welcome.

--
Luis Lavena

Joel Dezenzio

Hi Luis,

I love reading you and Roger's posts. :) You guys do a ton of work and
if no one else says it - many of us appreciate what you both have been
doing.

I gave up trying to create a full compile of Vexp 8.0 studio because you
were right - long long work to get it done. I have about half the
compiles finished. The ming version you have is just so much better.

@ others asking this,

I would recommend that you learn how to unpack the binaries like luis
suggested and add them to your path. By adding them to your path, when
you compile any newer ruby versions, they will be picked up and compiled
with the latest versions.

Personally, I think it would be easier to use binaries and compile ruby
because you can add features that might not be available or missing from
a one-click installer. For instance, TK is not in the present one-click
installer. If you add the binaries to your path though and follow the
walk through you can have that installed with your ruby version.

This is just an example and I'm in agreement with Luis..

Christopher Dicely

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Gordon Thiesfeld<gthiesfeld@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Christopher Dicely<cmdicely@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am I missing something, in either the archives or the instructions, or
>> is the Ruby 1.9.1-p129 .7z archive missing all the ruby scripts that
>> should be in /bin? It seems to work fine if one unpacks those from the
>> 1.9.1-p129 source archive from ruby-lang after following the
>> instructions you give, but I would assume that those should be
>> included, not need to be brought in separately.
>>

> Are you talking about these?
>
> erb
> gem
> irb
> rake
> rdoc
> ri
> testrb
>
> I see them all in the bin dir of the .7z file.

Huh. The only thing I see in ruby-1.9.1-p129-i386-mingw32\bin are the
ruby.exe and rubyw.exe binaries, a bunch of .dlls, and the .bat files
corresponding to each of the scripts you list each try to run ruby.exe
and pass it the relevant script, but not the ruby scripts themselves.

Luis Lavena

On Jun 12, 2:05 am, Christopher Dicely <cmdic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Gordon Thiesfeld<gthiesf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Christopher Dicely<cmdic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Am I missing something, in either the archives or the instructions, or
> >> is the Ruby 1.9.1-p129 .7z archive missing all the ruby scripts that
> >> should be in /bin? It seems to work fine if one unpacks those from the
> >> 1.9.1-p129 source archive from ruby-lang after following the
> >> instructions you give, but I would assume that those should be
> >> included, not need to be brought in separately.
>
> > Are you talking about these?
>
> > erb
> > gem
> > irb
> > rake
> > rdoc
> > ri
> > testrb
>
> > I see them all in the bin dir of the .7z file.
>
> Huh. The only thing I see in ruby-1.9.1-p129-i386-mingw32\bin are the
> ruby.exe and rubyw.exe binaries, a bunch of .dlls, and the .bat files
> corresponding to each of the scripts you list each try to run ruby.exe
> and pass it the relevant script, but not the ruby scripts themselves.

Definitely there is a problem with what you unpacked.

I see irb and irb.bat, and all the other script files.

However, maybe you misunderstood: the package contains only Ruby, no
other Tool or library unless was bundled with Ruby itself from the
source code.

So, if you're expecting get FXRuby or all the other packages you are
out of luck, mostly because none of those has been managed to get
working with MinGW and 1.9 at the same time.

--
Luis Lavena