[QUIZ] Twitter Personalities (#208

Daniel Moore

The three rules of Ruby Quiz:

1. Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this
quiz until 48 hours have elapsed from the time this message was
sent.

2. Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas and responses
as often as you can!
Visit: http://rubyquiz.../s...

3. Enjoy!

Suggestion: A [QUIZ] in the subject of emails about the problem
helps everyone on Ruby Talk follow the discussion. Please reply to
the original quiz message, if you can.

RSS Feed: http://rubyquiz.../q...

## Twitter Personalities (#208)

Merhaba Rubyists,

This week's quiz is to create a program that will generate messages
140 characters in length. There primary use will be to create a
Twitter "personality". At the end of the quiz period these
"personalities" will be unleashed on the internet and we'll see how
they do in the wild.

The programs will consist of two parts: a component for interacting
with Twitter, and a top secret "personality" module.

For the Twitter interface component there will be no no-spoiler
period. Please feel encouraged to discuss different libraries or
methods on the mailing list. Let's all work together to find the best
interface.

The "personality" component can take any inputs and will produce a 140
character message when called. The "personality" may remember state.
The no-spoiler period applies for the "personality" component; please
save them until everyone has had a chance to consider their own
implementations.

Have Fun!
--
-Daniel
http://rubyquiz...

21 Answers

Joshua Collins

This Quiz sounds fun!

I wish I knew more about Ruby than I do now. I would participate in this
one, but I am a beginner rubyist :-(

Anyhow, I can not wait to see the results. Good luck to everyone
participating!

JC

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Daniel Moore <yahivin@gmail.com> wrote:

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> The three rules of Ruby Quiz:
>
> 1. Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this
> quiz until 48 hours have elapsed from the time this message was
> sent.
>
> 2. Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas and responses
> as often as you can!
> Visit: http://rubyquiz.../s...
>
> 3. Enjoy!
>
> Suggestion: A [QUIZ] in the subject of emails about the problem
> helps everyone on Ruby Talk follow the discussion. Please reply to
> the original quiz message, if you can.
>
> RSS Feed: http://rubyquiz.../q...
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> ## Twitter Personalities (#208)
>
> Merhaba Rubyists,
>
> This week's quiz is to create a program that will generate messages
> 140 characters in length. There primary use will be to create a
> Twitter "personality". At the end of the quiz period these
> "personalities" will be unleashed on the internet and we'll see how
> they do in the wild.
>
> The programs will consist of two parts: a component for interacting
> with Twitter, and a top secret "personality" module.
>
> For the Twitter interface component there will be no no-spoiler
> period. Please feel encouraged to discuss different libraries or
> methods on the mailing list. Let's all work together to find the best
> interface.
>
> The "personality" component can take any inputs and will produce a 140
> character message when called. The "personality" may remember state.
> The no-spoiler period applies for the "personality" component; please
> save them until everyone has had a chance to consider their own
> implementations.
>

> Have Fun!
> --
> -Daniel
> http://rubyquiz...

James Gray

On Jun 5, 2009, at 7:26 PM, Joshua Collins wrote:

> This Quiz sounds fun!
>
> I wish I knew more about Ruby than I do now. I would participate in =20=

> this one, but I am a beginner rubyist :-(
>
> Anyhow, I can not wait to see the results. Good luck to everyone
> participating!

This is an almost perfect quiz for a beginner! Don't give up!

Use it as a chance to stretch your skills.

Try this:

1. Build a funny saying in a String
2. Replace some words in that saying with variables that hold the =20
words you removed
3. Adjust each variable so it gets two or three different words that =20=

all could fit the saying, selected randomly

It's just like reverse Madlibs. You may get more ideas to keep =20
improving it too.

It's not a spoiler to get help on the Twitter side, or you can just =20
skip that part completely. Don't be afraid to change the task to suit =20=

your skill. If you learn something, you win.

You can even ask us questions on the personality side, just be clever =20=

in avoiding spoiler material. "Hey guys, I'm building a new =20
navigation system for NASA's next generation rocket and it needs to =20
randomly choose between three directions=85" We're here to help. :)

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

James Edward Gray II=

Bill Kelly

From: "James Gray" <james@grayproductions.net>

> "Never give up! Never surrender!"

http://grabthar....

;D

SCNR,

Bill

Bill Kelly

From: "Daniel Moore" <yahivin@gmail.com>

> The "personality" component can take any inputs and will produce a 140
> character message when called. The "personality" may remember state.
> The no-spoiler period applies for the "personality" component; please
> save them until everyone has had a chance to consider their own
> implementations.

So... to clarify, the personality component is not replying
to--or seeing--other messages as input, but is merely
producing a sequence of 140 character messages determined
solely according to its internal black box state?

Regards,

Bill

Justin Collins

Bill Kelly wrote:

> From: "Daniel Moore" <yahivin@gmail.com>
>>
>> The "personality" component can take any inputs and will produce a 140
>> character message when called. The "personality" may remember state.
>> The no-spoiler period applies for the "personality" component; please
>> save them until everyone has had a chance to consider their own
>> implementations.
>
> So... to clarify, the personality component is not replying
> to--or seeing--other messages as input, but is merely
> producing a sequence of 140 character messages determined
> solely according to its internal black box state?
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill

I don't think that is a necessary restriction, as it "can take any
inputs." I will interpret that to mean you can feed in whatever you
would like - a dictionary or Shakespeare, for example.

-Justin

Daniel Moore

Joshua,

James has some great suggestions and I couldn't have said it better.
One of the best ways to learn more about Ruby is to dive in. You may
find out that it is easier than you imagine. If you get stuck on a
particular issue you can search the web or ask on the mailing list;
there are many great resources and lots of people interested in
helping out.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM, James Gray<james@grayproductions.net> wrote=
:
> On Jun 5, 2009, at 7:26 PM, Joshua Collins wrote:
>
>> This Quiz sounds fun!
>>
>> I wish =A0I knew more about Ruby than I do now. I would participate in t=
his
>> one, but I am a beginner rubyist :-(
>>
>> Anyhow, I can not wait to see the results. Good luck to everyone
>> participating!
>
> This is an almost perfect quiz for a beginner! =A0Don't give up!
>
> Use it as a chance to stretch your skills.
>
> Try this:
>
> 1. =A0Build a funny saying in a String
> 2. =A0Replace some words in that saying with variables that hold the word=
s you
> removed
> 3. =A0Adjust each variable so it gets two or three different words that a=
ll
> could fit the saying, selected randomly
>
> It's just like reverse Madlibs. =A0You may get more ideas to keep improvi=
ng it
> too.
>
> It's not a spoiler to get help on the Twitter side, or you can just skip
> that part completely. =A0Don't be afraid to change the task to suit your
> skill. =A0If you learn something, you win.
>
> You can even ask us questions on the personality side, just be clever in
> avoiding spoiler material. =A0"Hey guys, I'm building a new navigation sy=
stem
> for NASA's next generation rocket and it needs to randomly choose between
> three directions=85" =A0We're here to help. =A0:)
>
> "Never give up! =A0Never surrender!"
>
> James Edward Gray II

--=20
-Daniel
http:/...

Daniel Moore

Bill,

The personality component can see other messages as input and use
those to determine the next message to provide. Of course, in order
for the component to see the replies and other messages they would
need to be gathered and passed in as arguments in some form.

If you like you can share the techniques for gathering these messages
with the mailing list. The goal is to make it as easy as possible to
focus on the "personality" part without worrying about the
nitty-gritty of interfacing with Twitter. Additionally sharing
information on available libraries or general techniques will help all
the solutions to be better.

--
-Daniel
http:/...

Joshua Collins

I will give the Quiz a shot. After all, I will surely learn from it :-)

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Daniel Moore <yahivin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> The personality component can see other messages as input and use
> those to determine the next message to provide. Of course, in order
> for the component to see the replies and other messages they would
> need to be gathered and passed in as arguments in some form.
>
> If you like you can share the techniques for gathering these messages
> with the mailing list. The goal is to make it as easy as possible to
> focus on the "personality" part without worrying about the
> nitty-gritty of interfacing with Twitter. Additionally sharing
> information on available libraries or general techniques will help all
> the solutions to be better.
>
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Justin Collins<justincollins@ucla.edu>
> wrote:
> > Bill Kelly wrote:
> >>
> >> From: "Daniel Moore" <yahivin@gmail.com>

> >> So... to clarify, the personality component is not replying
> >> to--or seeing--other messages as input, but is merely
> >> producing a sequence of 140 character messages determined
> >> solely according to its internal black box state?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Bill
> >
> > I don't think that is a necessary restriction, as it "can take any
> inputs."
> > I will interpret that to mean you can feed in whatever you would like - a
> > dictionary or Shakespeare, for example.
> >
> > -Justin
> >

> --
> -Daniel
> http:/...

Sandro Paganotti

Wow !! Absolutely great quiz ! :D

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Joshua Collins <kidguko@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will give the Quiz a shot. After all, I will surely learn from it :-)
>
> Thanks for the encouragement guys!
>
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Daniel Moore <yahivin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > The personality component can see other messages as input and use
> > those to determine the next message to provide. Of course, in order
> > for the component to see the replies and other messages they would
> > need to be gathered and passed in as arguments in some form.
> >
> > If you like you can share the techniques for gathering these messages
> > with the mailing list. The goal is to make it as easy as possible to
> > focus on the "personality" part without worrying about the
> > nitty-gritty of interfacing with Twitter. Additionally sharing
> > information on available libraries or general techniques will help all
> > the solutions to be better.
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Justin Collins<justincollins@ucla.edu>
> > wrote:

> 140

> > > I don't think that is a necessary restriction, as it "can take any
> > inputs."
> > > I will interpret that to mean you can feed in whatever you would like -
> > > dictionary or Shakespeare, for example.
> > >
> > > -Justin
> > >

> > --
> > -Daniel
> > http:/...

Srijayanth Sridhar

So the "personality" is just a random message, perhaps a Clint Eastwood
quote or something?

Jayanth

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Sandro Paganotti <sandro.paganotti@gmail.com