Best way to create a web application from script

Hal Deranek

6/5/2009 7:31:00 PM

Over the past year I've written some testing scripts for the company I
work for using Ruby and the Watir gem. I would now like to create a web
page so that anyone in the company could use the script, but I'm having
trouble deciding on how to approach it.

I've heard Rails is the way to go, but I'm not sure about that. I have
the script working, I just need the webpage to interface with it, and I
wonder if Rails might be too robust for this task. Also, I've looked at
Nitro and Wee, but Nitro is no longer being supported and Wee has scant
documentation.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brian Candler

Hal Deranek wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sinatra - definitely. Extremely easy to bolt on to existing code.

Joel VanderWerf

Brian Candler wrote:
> Hal Deranek wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Sinatra - definitely. Extremely easy to bolt on to existing code.

Seconded. Sinatra has a minimum of framework baggage.

James Britt

Hal Deranek wrote:
> Over the past year I've written some testing scripts for the company I
> work for using Ruby and the Watir gem. I would now like to create a web
> page so that anyone in the company could use the script, but I'm having
> trouble deciding on how to approach it.
>
> I've heard Rails is the way to go, but I'm not sure about that. I have
> the script working, I just need the webpage to interface with it, and I
> wonder if Rails might be too robust for this task. Also, I've looked at
> Nitro and Wee, but Nitro is no longer being supported and Wee has scant
> documentation.

Ramaze took up where Nitro (a terrific framework) left off, and has
continued to rock as a a powerful, modular Web framework. It's
designed to grow with you.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jump in with Ramaze. Got questions, go to #ramaze on freenode IRC for
one of the most responsive communities around.

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com - Smart application development