[ANN] JRuby 1.3.0 Released

Thomas Enebo

6/3/2009 9:27:00 PM

The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.0

Homepage: http://www....
Download: http://dist.codehaus....

The fixes in this release are primarily obvious compatibility problems and
performance enhancements. Our goal is to put out point releases more
frequently for the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release). We
want
a more rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users of
JRuby.

Highlights:
- Fixes so that JRuby runs in restricted environments better like GAE/J
- Accessing primitive Java arrays are about 10x faster
- timeout.rb is now ~40% faster
- Method cache performance improvements
- irb works in --1.9 mode now
- Additional Miscellaneous 1.9 fixes
- rubygems 1.3.3, rake 0.8.7, and rspec 1.2.6 upgrades
- 66 bugs fixed since 1.2.0

JRUBY-3729 JRuby's internal change killed JSR 223 JRuby engine's
global variable sharing
JRUBY-3726 Cannot access named capture in match data
JRUBY-3723 1.3RC3 regression - Gem activate error
JRUBY-3714 ActiveMessaging poller stops silently with JRuby 1.3.0RC1
and RC2. Works with JRuby 1.2.0
JRUBY-3601 Need updated release of JFFI for 1.3 release
JRUBY-3719 FFI :buffer_out params incorrectly handled as pinned
arrays by jffiJRUBY-3626 Thread Safety issue with JRuby 1.3 RC1 -
JRuby abnormally exit
JRUBY-3625 Multi-threading issue with RegExp
JRUBY-1441 ENV should not be case-sensitive on Windows
JRUBY-3617 Java array support unit tests on are failing on AIX with
JRuby 1.3-dev
JRUBY-3663 Can't build JRuby on last OpenJDK builds (58+) because of
uncorrect Invokdynamic support
JRUBY-3638 Multi-Threading issues with JRuby 1.3RC1 and soap4r
JRUBY-3678 problem with super called from method defined with
define_method
JRUBY-3686 io.fcntl can also accept one-arg version
JRUBY-3509 uninitialized constant when using ResourceController
plugin with Rails 2.2.2
JRUBY-3699 Failure in ruby1.8/uri/test_common
JRUBY-3594 JRuby's instance_exec only accepts up to 3 arguments
JRUBY-3677 Array#pack problem
JRUBY-3633 JRuby 1.3 Fails to Execute Embedded Ruby code in Java
JRUBY-3634 File.read or File.open with a url to a file resource
fails with StringIndexOutOfBounds exception
JRUBY-3621 relative_path_from returns errors for "C:/" and "C:\\"
JRUBY-3536 JRUBY-1441
jruby-complete gem install fails: private method `split' called for
nil:NilClass
JRUBY-3647 Severe performance degradation from
3d9140fafcda9c4fe6b9d5a1fec0ae9822877e03
JRUBY-3659 Running ant spec-short without the proper Git
abbreviations does not break
JRUBY-3661 Incorrect super call site caching with multiple included
modules
JRUBY-3395 RubySpec: ConditionVariable#wait should return self
JRUBY-3658 RubySpec: Range#initialize visibility and arity failures
JRUBY-3396 RubySpec: Queue#num_waiting reports the number of threads
waiting on the Queue
JRUBY-3357 Marshal load and dump rubyspec failures
JRUBY-3644 After sucessfully launching a remotely-debugged
application (using -S rdebug --stop) trying to run it crashes
JRUBY-3649 IllegalArgumentException with --debug and syslog
JRUBY-3671 RubySpec: Time.times is an obsolete method
JRUBY-3388 RubySpec: File.open opens the file when passed mode, num
and permissions
JRUBY-3343 Modify require logic to block when two threads require
the same file at the same time
JRUBY-3585 Syslog has broken on OS X
JRUBY-2518 Dir["some glob"] doesn't work for files inside a jar
JRUBY-3496 MRI tests: test_hash shows bug in delete_if block argument
JRUBY-3578 ByteList.endsWith fails on empty bytelist
JRUBY-3586 StringIO should support to_inputstream, to_outputstream,
and to_channel just like IO does
JRUBY-3588 Allow rescuing Java Throwables.
JRUBY-1800 Ruby 1.9 Fiber support should leverage the same thread
pool as pooled JRuby threading
JRUBY-3345 Exception backtraces at toplevel appear to be broken
JRUBY-3483 Redirecting $stdout to an object blows up the stack
JRUBY-2900 Add -vm command line argument to pass classpath, etc.
JRUBY-3573 Memory leak when -Djruby.thread.pool.enabled=true
JRUBY-3680 closed stream error when using druby to copy a file
JRUBY-3472 RubySpec: failures in after_each for core/file
JRUBY-3579 Prawn gem nil:NilClass error that doesn't occur in MRI
JRUBY-3498 New failure in MRI's test_time
JRUBY-3679 java.nio.BufferOverflowException on every Kernel.puts call
JRUBY-3670 RubySpec: A Symbol literal does not contain null in the
string
JRUBY-3683 JRUBY-3670 fix introduces a symbol regression
JRUBY-3596 gems in a jar are not found if the current directory
contains a space
JRUBY-3393 RubySpec: CSV::Reader.parse calls block once for one row
of input
JRUBY-3698 RubyDateFormat.java does ont handle %R specifier in strftime
JRUBY-3652 IO.popen drops first space between command and first argument
JRUBY-3632 Jruby deployment missing batch files
JRUBY-3620 JRuby shebang parsing is too simplistic
JRUBY-3572 Support for anonymous callback inside function definition
JRUBY-3650 Please consider allowing jruby -c to take multiple files
as arguments
JRUBY-3660 Dir.pwd correctly displays dirs with unicode characters
in them
JRUBY-2235 Minor regression: Kernel.system('non-existing-file')
produces some output but shouldn't
JRUBY-3615 Fiber.yield crahes if called without arguments
JRUBY-3640 Minor optimizations with Map.entrySet

8 Answers

mr tobias

On Feb 17, 11:02 pm, Chuck St louis <pinballs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Got an Ironman new in the box this is what I had to fix
>
> Upper plunger coil wire not soldered
> Ball Plunger not shooting the ball all the way up. (to many washers)
> Whiplash Target adjusted to tight, flip the flipper 5 times and it
> goes right to multiball
>
> What if a home owner bought this, all this stuff would still be
> broken!
> What if an operater bought this, all this stuff would still be broken!

Hmmm, quality control seems to be on the slide, as are a number of
other things.

I very much regret the fact that the service bulletins are no longer
maintained the way they were when Joe Blackwell was running the tech
support show. It was one area where Stern excelled, but not any longer.

Eric Schmitt

> What if a home owner bought this, all this stuff would still be
> broken!

Funny thing is some homeowners might not even know its broken. At a
friends house years ago and they won a Sega Harley in a raffle or
something. Game was never cleaned from day 1, all pop bumpers dead and
the bike motor would not raise to expose the ball lock trough and they
thought it was am awesome game.

Lloyd Olson

Not really. They have B/W beat by a lot.

When I uncrated and set up a new B/W pin, and spent a few days tweaking
stuff. If I only had three things to deal with, I'd be doing the happy
dance. LTG :)

"mr tobias" <john_darby@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Hmmm, quality control seems to be on the slide, as are a number of
other things.

pinball lover

> Upper plunger coil wire not soldered
> Ball Plunger not shooting the ball all the way up. (to many washers)
> Whiplash Target adjusted to tight, flip the flipper 5 times and it
> goes right to multiball

Consider yourself lucky. From what I hear, you got one of the better
ones.
Isn't pinball wonderful? Where else can you spend thousands on a new
product and then have to finish assembling it yourself?

Peter K

If you think pinball parts are expensive try car parts and labour.
They ought to hang all the dealers who rape people on car parts and
labour.

Moral of the story is everything is expensive to fix after the
warranty has expired!

Peter

Jay

On Feb 17, 4:09 pm, mr tobias <john_da...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 11:02 pm, Chuck St louis <pinballs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Got an Ironman new in the box this is what I had to fix
>
> > Upper plunger coil wire not soldered
> > Ball Plunger not shooting the ball all the way up. (to many washers)
> > Whiplash Target adjusted to tight, flip the flipper 5 times and it
> > goes right to multiball
>
> > What if a home owner bought this, all this stuff would still be
> > broken!
> > What if an operater bought this, all this stuff would still be broken!
>
> Hmmm, quality control seems to be on the slide, as are a number of
> other things.
>
> I very much regret the fact that the service bulletins are no longer
> maintained the way they were when Joe Blackwell was running the tech
> support show. It was one area where Stern excelled, but not any longer.

I miss the great detailed game manuals STERN used to have. Where is
the manual for Avatar??

Rare Hero

On Feb 17, 7:22 pm, Jay <pinba...@telus.net> wrote:
> I miss the great detailed game manuals STERN used to have. Where is
> the manual for Avatar??

In Gary Stern's wallet. :P

Greg

Lloyd Olson

Not likely. I seriously doubt gary is getting rich of this industry. LTG :)

"Rare Hero" <rarehero_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 17, 7:22 pm, Jay <pinba...@telus.net> wrote:
> I miss the great detailed game manuals STERN used to have. Where is
> the manual for Avatar??

In Gary Stern's wallet. :P

Greg