comp.lang.c++

analyze file system in c++

David.Cristian1987

11/22/2008 10:51:00 PM

Hello

I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
see if it's do-able ...
I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
deleted.
I've downloaded the Undo Delete software ... and I saw in the help
file something like this :

"
When the programs and applications would request for a particular file
(after it has been deleted), they would get an error that the file was
not found, while the file is still present on the disk ‘physically’.
"

I have to do this for FAT32 and NTFS. I have some theoretical
knowledge about this, but I haven't implemented nothing in this area.
I have some knowledge in c++ (I had a summer job and I gained some
experience).
So I am asking you :

1.What libraries should I use to get information about the file
system. Let's say that I have a FAT32 drive and I want to list all the
files in the drive using the lowest library (I dont want an answer
like :" system("dir");" or something like that)

2.How can I inspect the the disk "physically", as it is made in the
undo delete software.

Of course, using the C++ language.
I hope I will get some answers, even if I wasn't clear in all I have
said.

Thanks,
David.

12 Answers

utab

> 1.What libraries should I use to get information about the file system.
> Let's say that I have a FAT32 drive and I want to list all the files in
> the drive using the lowest library (I dont want an answer like :"
> system("dir");" or something like that)

Not sure about the file system type(FAT32, NTFS, or ext3) but boost has a
quite easy to use filesystem library AFAIK.

> 2.How can I inspect the the disk "physically", as it is made in the undo
> delete software.

Not sure on this, I am a poor mechanical engineer ;-)

Ian Collins

David.Cristian1987 wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
> see if it's do-able ...
> I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
> deleted.

Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
dependent, some don't support it. You'll have to ask on a group for
your OS.

--
Ian Collins

David.Cristian1987

On Nov 23, 1:24 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> David.Cristian1987 wrote:
> > Hello
>
> > I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
> > see if it's do-able ...
> > I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
> > deleted.
>
> Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
> dependent, some don't support it.  You'll have to ask on a group for
> your OS.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

David.

Sam

David.Cristian1987 writes:

> On Nov 23, 1:24 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> David.Cristian1987 wrote:
>> > Hello
>>
>> > I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
>> > see if it's do-able ...
>> > I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
>> > deleted.
>>
>> Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
>> dependent, some don't support it.  You'll have to ask on a group for
>> your OS.
>>
>> --
>> Ian Collins
>
> I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

This is not the group for your OS. The microsoft.* newsgroup are down the
hall, last door on your left.

Salt_Peter

On Nov 22, 7:11 pm, "David.Cristian1987"
<David.Cristian1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 1:24 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > David.Cristian1987 wrote:
> > > Hello
>
> > > I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
> > > see if it's do-able ...
> > > I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
> > > deleted.
>
> > Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
> > dependent, some don't support it. You'll have to ask on a group for
> > your OS.
>
> > --
> > Ian Collins
>
> I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

Anything you need about Windows (or any other specific platform)
doesn't belong here. Like most users of this forum, i'm not interested
in discussing something that is platform specific since C++ is
platform-oblivious. Not to mention that i don't run Windows nor would
i.
Besides, do you not think that you'll get better help in an MS
newsgroup?

[5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.ht...

David.Cristian1987

On Nov 23, 3:47 am, Salt_Peter <pj_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 7:11 pm, "David.Cristian1987"
>

> <David.Cristian1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
> > > dependent, some don't support it.  You'll have to ask on a group for
> > > your OS.
>
> > > --
> > > Ian Collins
>
> > I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)
>
> Anything you need about Windows (or any other specific platform)
> doesn't belong here. Like most users of this forum, i'm not interested
> in discussing something that is platform specific since C++ is
> platform-oblivious. Not to mention that i don't run Windows nor would
> i.
> Besides, do you not think that you'll get better help in an MS
> newsgroup?
>
> [5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.ht...

I understand. I am very sorry.
I thought I would find here some programmers that had this problem on
this c++ forum, rather then one OS specific ...
I will try there. Thanks!

Again very sorry,
David.

Juha Nieminen

David.Cristian1987 wrote:
> I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
> deleted.

Rather than using existing programs which do that? Why?

David.Cristian1987

On Nov 23, 4:17 pm, Juha Nieminen <nos...@thanks.invalid> wrote:
> David.Cristian1987 wrote:
> > I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
> > deleted.
>
>   Rather than using existing programs which do that? Why?

It's a project for a school contest, and the software is not free.

David.

AB

Or, as per your other thread on the same thing (and my response in
there) - just use 'End' and it will stop all routines.

AB

I couldn't agree more with you Chip, especially bearing in mind that
i've learned all my stuff pretty much reading your fantastic site back
and forth.
It's just from what i read in the initial requests i recognized an
issue that i was trying to solve a few years back and 'End' was
exactly what i was after back then and this sounded like the same as
with simple setups/routines that's all you need.