return value of require

Detlef Reichl

I had a problem with require and ruby 1.8.7-p72 on debian (original
debian packages).

For some of the ruby-gnome2 libraries (all, which are based on gtk),
require returned false. Beside of the return value all works like
expected.

With an upgrade to 1.8.7-p160 and compiling ruby from source, all
libraries return true on require, as expected.

Can someone tell me, in which version this change was made?

Cheers, detlef

--
http://de...

1 Answer

Brian Candler

Detlef Reichl wrote:
> I had a problem with require and ruby 1.8.7-p72 on debian (original
> debian packages).
>
> For some of the ruby-gnome2 libraries (all, which are based on gtk),
> require returned false. Beside of the return value all works like
> expected.
>
> With an upgrade to 1.8.7-p160 and compiling ruby from source, all
> libraries return true on require, as expected.
>
> Can someone tell me, in which version this change was made?

I'm don't see what the problem is. require returns false if the library
has already been loaded, and true if it is loaded for the first time at
that point.

$ irb --simple-prompt
>> require 'openssl'
=> true
>> require 'openssl'
=> false

If some of the ruby-gnome2 libraries returned false, it's probably just
because some previous library that you required in turn required those
other libraries.

If you want to investigate further,

puts $LOADED_FEATURES

will probably be of help.