comp.lang.c++

Base64 from file

Chunekit Pong

11/20/2008 8:27:00 AM

What's the problem with this code?

the purpose is to convert binary file into a Base64 string

I seem to have problem in the following line
BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
int size = sizeof(pbBinary);

=================
typedef unsigned char BYTE;
std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");

// read from test2.png into BYTE array
std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
(std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
, (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
);
if(bytes.empty())
; // no bytes have been read

BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
int size = sizeof(pbBinary);

unsigned long ulEncLen = 0;
char *pEncOut = NULL;

BOOL fRet = ::CryptBinaryToString( pbBinary, size,
CRYPT_STRING_BASE64, pEncOut, &ulEncLen );
====================
BOOL WINAPI CryptBinaryToString(
__in const BYTE *pbBinary,
__in DWORD cbBinary,
__in DWORD dwFlags,
__out_opt LPTSTR pszString,
__inout DWORD *pcchString
);
5 Answers

anon

Chunekit Pong wrote:
> What's the problem with this code?

It doesn't compile

> the purpose is to convert binary file into a Base64 string

What's Base64 string?

> I seem to have problem in the following line
> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);

Most likely you will get 4 (depends on the platform you use)

> =================
> typedef unsigned char BYTE;
> std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");
>
> // read from test2.png into BYTE array
> std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
> (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
> , (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
> );

Is this working?

> if(bytes.empty())
> ; // no bytes have been read
>
> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);

I would do this:
const int size = bytes.size();

Chunekit Pong

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:13:34 +0100, anon <anon@no.invalid> wrote:

>Chunekit Pong wrote:
>> What's the problem with this code?
>>

>It doesn't compile
>
>> the purpose is to convert binary file into a Base64 string
>>

>What's Base64 string?
>
>> I seem to have problem in the following line
>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>

>Most likely you will get 4 (depends on the platform you use)
>
>> =================
>> typedef unsigned char BYTE;
>> std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");
>>
>> // read from test2.png into BYTE array
>> std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
>> (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
>> , (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
>> );
>
>Is this working?
>
>> if(bytes.empty())
>> ; // no bytes have been read
>>
>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>

>I would do this:
>const int size = bytes.size();

the full C++ file is like this - should compile
http://www.oniva.com/upload/1...

Chunekit Pong

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:13:34 +0100, anon <anon@no.invalid> wrote:

>Chunekit Pong wrote:
>> What's the problem with this code?
>>

>It doesn't compile
>
>> the purpose is to convert binary file into a Base64 string
>>

>What's Base64 string?
>
>> I seem to have problem in the following line
>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>

>Most likely you will get 4 (depends on the platform you use)
>
>> =================
>> typedef unsigned char BYTE;
>> std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");
>>
>> // read from test2.png into BYTE array
>> std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
>> (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
>> , (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
>> );
>
>Is this working?
>
>> if(bytes.empty())
>> ; // no bytes have been read
>>
>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>

>I would do this:
>const int size = bytes.size();

I used the bytes.size();

but i found that - pEncOut - is not holding any string after calling
CryptBinaryToString function, when I debug it says bad Prt something.

After calling the function CryptBinaryToString - pEncOut shoul have
the Base64 string generated.

===================

Chunekit Pong wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:13:34 +0100, anon <anon@no.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Chunekit Pong wrote:
>>> What's the problem with this code?
>>>
>> It doesn't compile
>>
>>> the purpose is to convert binary file into a Base64 string
>>>
>> What's Base64 string?
>>
>>> I seem to have problem in the following line
>>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>>
>> Most likely you will get 4 (depends on the platform you use)
>>
>>> =================
>>> typedef unsigned char BYTE;
>>> std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");
>>>
>>> // read from test2.png into BYTE array
>>> std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
>>> (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
>>> , (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
>>> );
>> Is this working?
>>
>>> if(bytes.empty())
>>> ; // no bytes have been read
>>>
>>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>>
>> I would do this:
>> const int size = bytes.size();
>
> the full C++ file is like this - should compile
> http://www.oniva.com/upload/1...

To open a file for binary read, you need to create ifstream object like
this:
std::ifstream file1( "c:/test2.png",
std::ios_base::binary |
std::ios_base::in );

Are you sure CryptBinaryToString works fine?

Thomas J. Gritzan

Chunekit Pong schrieb:
>>> =================
>>> typedef unsigned char BYTE;
>>> std::ifstream file1("c:/test2.png");
>>>
>>> // read from test2.png into BYTE array
>>> std::vector<BYTE> bytes(
>>> (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>(file1))
>>> , (std::istreambuf_iterator<char>())
>>> );
>> Is this working?
>>
>>> if(bytes.empty())
>>> ; // no bytes have been read
>>>
>>> BYTE const* pbBinary = &bytes[0];
>>> int size = sizeof(pbBinary);
>>>
>> I would do this:
>> const int size = bytes.size();
>
> I used the bytes.size();
>
> but i found that - pEncOut - is not holding any string after calling
> CryptBinaryToString function, when I debug it says bad Prt something.
>
> After calling the function CryptBinaryToString - pEncOut shoul have
> the Base64 string generated.
>
> ===================
> char *pEncOut = NULL;
>
> BOOL fRet = ::CryptBinaryToString( pbBinary, size,
> CRYPT_STRING_BASE64, pEncOut, &ulEncLen );

Of course it doesn't work. pEncOut is set to NULL. It won't magically
change to something else.

You would have to set pEncOut to some buffer and maybe ulEncLen to the
size of this buffer. Check out the documentation of this
CryptBinaryToString function.

--
Thomas