comp.lang.c++

Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Sanny

11/22/2008 8:29:00 AM

I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
programs in both languages.

I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
in Java.

So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Both C++ and Java has their importance.

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
easy?

How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.

and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

Experts in fields, Please Advice.

Bye
Sanny.
422 Answers

Peter Duniho

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:29:12 -0800, Sanny <softtanks@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
> programs in both languages.
>
> I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
> in Java.
>
> So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Probably a good idea, for now.

> Both C++ and Java has their importance.

Yes.

> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Difficult or impossible to say. Too many variables are left out of your
question.

> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
> among them.

Yes, don't learn both at the same time. But, also don't plan to learn
just one.

There are a lot of things about programming in either that are specific to
neither. OOP is OOP, for the most part. Different languages have
different "flavors", but for the most part, basic OOP fundamentals will be
the same in either.

C++ is a somewhat lower-level language, while at the same time offers in
some ways much more complex behaviors than Java. Because of that, I'd
recommend learning Java first, just because it's likely to be somewhat
easier. Not that becoming a Java expert is easy, but there are certain
things about Java that restrict you in ways that are helpful for the
beginner.

> Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
> else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
> easy?

Frankly, as of the last couple of months or so, if you have a job that
pays for your food, clothing, and shelter, consider yourself fortunate.
This is only going to be even more true in the coming months and years.

As for your other questions...

The programmer who is paid the highest is the one with the most
experience, who takes their profession seriously, and who continues to
learn new things in their field.

I doubt a programmer who thinks C# is any easier than Java is going to be
one of those highest-paid programmers. :) C# has simplified some things
as compared to Java, but it's added new features beyond Java as well, and
continues to do so. C# 1.0 might have literally been easier than Java,
but the fact is that both languages are reasonably complex and I don't
think there's any useful way to say that one is "easier than" the other.

> How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.
>
> and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

In programming, there is practically no upper bound. But you won't get
paid the big bucks unless you are very skilled.

I doubt that there's any significant difference in pay between C++ and
Java programmers, but if there is, I'd guess Java pays less just because
it is currently the more popular language, making it easier to find
skilled programmers who use that language. More supply for a given
demand, lower price. But, since that guess doesn't address the demand
side of the equation, it's not worth much. :)

The fact is, salaries in the field of programming are in constant flux,
according to what technologies are most in use and what the work-force
looks like in terms of numbers. Focusing on one language or the other
based on expected salary is not likely to be productive. Learn
_programming_, learn lots of different languages, and then look for the
job that suits you the best (which may be the highest-paying one, for
someone with mercenary tendencies such as yourself :) ).

Pete

Michael Sgier

Paid programmers work with any language on / for any OS.

Robert Klemme

On 22.11.2008 09:29, Sanny wrote:

> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

IMHO this is the wrong question. You can achieve mastery in any of
those languages and for any of those there are well paid jobs. If
you're in the market for money only though, I doubt you have the proper
motivation to achieve mastery.

> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
> among them.

There is no "best" language. Every tool has its strengths and
weaknesses. The question would be "best for what?"

> Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

You must imagine that the community as a form of crystal ball. I am
afraid I have to inform you that this is not the case.

> What else should I learn for a good Career.

Define "good career".

> Should I learn C# which is very easy?

Without knowing C# too much I'd say this is a misconception. C# has a
similar level of complexity at least as Java because it is object
oriented and has a standard library of significant size AFAIK.

Note also that knowing the syntax, constructs and library of a language
not necessarily makes you an expert software developer. You also have
to be aware of all sorts of design level practices that are quite
independent of programming languages.

> How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.
>
> and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

You would at least have to provide the bit of information in which
region(s) you are willing to work.

Cheers

robert

James Kanze

On Nov 22, 9:29 am, Sanny <softta...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets
> higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Neither. The commercial person who sells the final product
makes the most money.

> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose
> the best among them.

There is no "best", and if learning both creates confusions, you
should probably look for a different profession; I regularly use
four or five different languages (C++, Java, AWK, Unix
shell...).

Joshua Cranmer

Sanny wrote:
> I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
> in Java.
>
> So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use
but a single language.

> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
factors, such as seniority, etc. In other words, statistically speaking,
neither.

If you want to try for the big bucks, I hear COBOL is coming back in vogue.

> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
> among them.

There is no "best" language. For the most part, languages are
fundamentally incomparable. Every single programming language has its
strengths and weaknesses; the goal is to match up a programming language
to the task.

> Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
> else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
> easy?

Ideally, you should be well-rounded as a programmer. This means you
should be able to code in C/C++ and Java. You'll probably want some
functional languages under your belt; Python and Perl are two good
dynamic programming languages to tackle, although Ruby seems to be the
next "hip" language. The list goes on.

> Experts in fields, Please Advice.

Another piece of advice would be to brush up on rules of punctuation,
capitalization, and grammar in general.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Nicko

Sanny wrote:
> I just want to know who gets higher
> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

None of them.
Programmer is the lowest level in the hierarchy of an IS
In Europe, a baker has a better salary...

Lew

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
> utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use
> but a single language.

Real programmers can do FORTRAN programming in any language.

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
> factors, such as seniority, etc.

Literacy, ...

> In other words, statistically speaking, neither.

Do you have evidence for those statistics?

> If you want to try for the big bucks, I hear COBOL is coming back in vogue.

Never went out of vogue.

Sanny wrote:
>> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
>> among them.

If you are applying for jobs where English is a relevant skill, you will
improve your earning power by increasing your mastery of that language.

Non-programming skills often count for more than one's technical abilities
when climbing the corporate rungs.

Some might look at your random capitalization of different words in English
and wonder if you are sensitive to case sensitivity in Java. It is a shame,
perhaps, that your command of English might block someone's ability to
perceive your command of programming, but that is a reality in the work world.

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> There is no "best" language. For the most part, languages are
> fundamentally incomparable. Every single programming language has its
> strengths and weaknesses; the goal is to match up a programming language
> to the task.

Which is exactly what makes Java the best programming language.

;-) for those who insist on explicit irony markers.

Sanny wrote:
>> Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
>> else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
>> easy?

You should, but it isn't easy.

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Another piece of advice would be to brush up on rules of punctuation,
> capitalization, and grammar in general.

This is not parochialism, but a necessity when one is forced to communicate in
any language. It is vitally necessary in written communications; face to
face, people will forgive accents and unusual constructions, but in written
communication there is little tolerance for fundamental errors, and less
reason for there to be any.

--
Lew

Arved Sandstrom

"Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid> wrote in message
> Sanny wrote:
>> I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
>> in Java.
>>
>> So I have descided to only work in one Language.
>
> Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
> utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use but
> a single language.
>
>> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
>> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?
>
> Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
> factors, such as seniority, etc. In other words, statistically speaking,
> neither.
[ SNIP ]

I'd have to agree. Once you factor out the general state of the economy
(i.e. are IT employers hurting for developers or is there a surfeit of
developers?) and the effects of geography (i.e. your salary is influenced
very heavily by where you live), I can't think of a market I've been in
where I sensed that developers in one of the following groups - Java/J2EE,
C#/.NET, or C/C++ - were paid significantly more or less than their peers in
the other two.

As an individual, _who_ you work for is the other major factor besides
seniority in determining compensation. Are you a consultant/contract
programmer? Do you work as an employee of a private software house? Or do
you work for the government?

Seniority and ability are intertwined, and feature in varying proportions as
factors in determining salary depending on who you work for.

AHS

Roedy Green

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:29:12 -0800 (PST), Sanny
<softtanks@hotmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
>salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

To me that would be well down on my list of considerations. I ask
questions like this:

1. which language do I enjoy coding more? What counts is how much I
enjoy my life. I spend a LOT of it coding.

2. which language will let me tackle more interesting projects. For
than reason COBOL is out. I have no interested in maintaining payroll
programs. If I wanted to make money, I would learn the arcane art of
Unix system administration.

3. Which language will leave my options open where I work. I don't
want to get stuck in some place I hate. I want to be able to go
anywhere. Which language is become more accepted. Which are becoming
obsolete?

4. Which languages offer work from home?

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mi...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Sanny wrote:
> I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
> programs in both languages.
>
> I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
> in Java.
>
> So I have descided to only work in one Language.
>
> Both C++ and Java has their importance.
>
> What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
> salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?
>
> Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
> among them.
>
> Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
> else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
> easy?
>
> How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.
>
> and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

Salary depends on where work, your experience and your general
programming skills (not language and technology specific).

The languages and technologies you know should have much less
impact on salary level.

You should be aware that tools, languages and technologies comes
and goes, so over a life long career you will have to work
with multiples of those no matter what.

Arne