JT

2/27/2016 12:44:00 PM

Maybe i just have not found the right tool, but i find it weird that the debug functionality built in chrome and firefox is far worse than in Turbo Pascal from the 80's.

What one basicly want is a list of all variables, objects and their atrributes a checkbox to each one and if you mark it moves to top and will be tracked.

And then you want ***breakpoints*** foremost for step execution just like Turbo Pascal, you may want to apply them to functions and loop enties and maybe if clauses. And as you toggle forward with space you can check the values of your marked variables.

Maybe the tool is already there and i have not seen it, there is alot of functionality in the browser inspections but it doesn't seem very useful. Or it could be that the important features very well hideen with doesn't make sense.

I am a bit tired spending my time in a loop without being able to check the values. If anyone can direct me to a tool that have the suggested functionality above please direct me to it, or if it is in the browser inspector preferably firefox tell me where to find it.
3 Answers

JT

Den lördag 27 februari 2016 kl. 13:44:03 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> Maybe i just have not found the right tool, but i find it weird that the debug functionality built in chrome and firefox is far worse than in Turbo Pascal from the 80's.
>
> What one basicly want is a list of all variables, objects and their atrributes a checkbox to each one and if you mark it moves to top and will be tracked.
>
> And then you want ***breakpoints*** foremost for step execution just like Turbo Pascal, you may want to apply them to functions and loop enties and maybe if clauses. And as you toggle forward with space you can check the values of your marked variables.
>
> Maybe the tool is already there and i have not seen it, there is alot of functionality in the browser inspections but it doesn't seem very useful. Or it could be that the important features very well hideen with doesn't make sense.
>
> I am a bit tired spending my time in a loop without being able to check the values. If anyone can direct me to a tool that have the suggested functionality above please direct me to it, or if it is in the browser inspector preferably firefox tell me where to find it.

With a Turbo Pascal debugger my coding would be written at least 20 times as fast.

Aleksandro

On 27/02/16 09:43, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe i just have not found the right tool, but i find it weird that the debug functionality built in chrome and firefox is far worse than in Turbo Pascal from the 80's.
>
> What one basicly want is a list of all variables, objects and their atrributes a checkbox to each one and if you mark it moves to top and will be tracked.
>
> And then you want ***breakpoints*** foremost for step execution just like Turbo Pascal, you may want to apply them to functions and loop enties and maybe if clauses. And as you toggle forward with space you can check the values of your marked variables.
>
> Maybe the tool is already there and i have not seen it, there is alot of functionality in the browser inspections but it doesn't seem very useful. Or it could be that the important features very well hideen with doesn't make sense.
>
> I am a bit tired spending my time in a loop without being able to check the values. If anyone can direct me to a tool that have the suggested functionality above please direct me to it, or if it is in the browser inspector preferably firefox tell me where to find it.

I thought I was the only one not making any use of those tools. But,
have you tried console.log() inside the loop already?

JJ

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 04:43:51 -0800 (PST), jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe i just have not found the right tool, but i find it weird that the
> debug functionality built in chrome and firefox is far worse than in
> Turbo Pascal from the 80's.

Chrome and Firefox built-in debuggers although not perfect, they're pretty
good actually. Not really below Turbo Pascal built-in debugger. You'll just
need to get used to the different interfaces. However, if you compare them
with Turbo Debugger, both Chrome and Firefox debuggers (including Firebug)
have one missing feature: Data Breakpoint.

> What one basicly want is a list of all variables, objects and their
> atrributes a checkbox to each one and if you mark it moves to top and
> will be tracked.

Both Chrome and Firefox debuggers already have sections for displaying local
variables as well as variable watches.

> And then you want ***breakpoints*** foremost for step execution just like
> Turbo Pascal, you may want to apply them to functions and loop enties and
> maybe if clauses. And as you toggle forward with space you can check the
> values of your marked variables.

Breakpoint feature has been present a long time ago. Perhaps you're not
aware of it?

> Maybe the tool is already there and i have not seen it, there is alot of
> functionality in the browser inspections but it doesn't seem very useful.
> Or it could be that the important features very well hideen with doesn't
> make sense.

They're pretty useful to me. i.e. the standard issue Local Variable list,
Watch list, and Call Stack (similar like stack trace).

> I am a bit tired spending my time in a loop without being able to check
> the values. If anyone can direct me to a tool that have the suggested
> functionality above please direct me to it, or if it is in the browser
> inspector preferably firefox tell me where to find it.

I'd suggest checking both Chrome and Firefox documentations on how to use
the built-in debuggers and to get familiar with them. You'll find out that
they already have 99% of a full featured software debugger. Including remote
debugging which Turbo Pascal debugger doesn't have.