comp.lang.javascript

Javasscript event handling upon objects.

JT

2/22/2016 1:57:00 PM

Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?
22 Answers

JT

Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 14:57:30 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?

If i create x,y,width,height objects in an array that i will print out as canvas rectangle.

Must i really check every array element, if the mouse click event cordinates are within the boundaries of x,y,width,height?

I did see someone wrote about a SVG library pros and cons and is it hard to learn?

Evertjan.

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 22 Feb 2016 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event
> handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?

Because javascript-objects are not DOM-elements.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote on 22 Feb 2016 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 14:57:30 UTC+1 skrev
> jonas.t...@gmail.com:

>> Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event
>> handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?

Why do you so often answer yourself?

This NG is about discussion with others.

> If i create x,y,width,height objects in an array that i will print out
> as canvas rectangle.
>
> Must i really check every array element

No, you can make a walk in the forrest instead.

> , if the mouse click event
> cordinates are within the boundaries of x,y,width,height?

You can make that walk anyway.

> I did see someone wrote about a SVG library pros and cons and is it hard
> to learn?

Seeing someone is not hard to learn, even during a walk in the forrest.

What exactly would you like to learn? Writing perhaps?
Writing during a walk in the forrest may have some "cons" indeed.

Perhaps next time you you wait posting till you are confident your Q
has reached maturity, and then decide if it is on-topic, logical and worth
knowing an answer of?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Aleksandro

On 22/02/16 10:57, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?

Javascript objects alone have nothing to do with UI interaction. If you
want your object to respond to it, bind said events of a visual element
to the methods you need.

JT

Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 16:11:47 UTC+1 skrev Aleksandro:
> On 22/02/16 10:57, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> > Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?
>
> Javascript objects alone have nothing to do with UI interaction. If you
> want your object to respond to it, bind said events of a visual element
> to the methods you need.

Well i just learned howto catch the mouse events, and now i am interested in how i can for example generate an array of 100 rectangles print them out and then mark one on click and move it.

The only way i understand it work is to actually check if the click is within any of the rectangles boundaries. And then change the rectangle cordinates to the mouse cordinates using animation to draw out the new position?

Well i will post my example code soon, and you can tell if it is the wrong way to do it.

Silvio

On 02/22/2016 04:37 PM, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 16:11:47 UTC+1 skrev Aleksandro:
>> On 22/02/16 10:57, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Why does not javascript objects have the possibility of adding event handler properties like mouse click, drag, drop?
>>
>> Javascript objects alone have nothing to do with UI interaction. If you
>> want your object to respond to it, bind said events of a visual element
>> to the methods you need.
>
> Well i just learned howto catch the mouse events, and now i am interested in how i can for example generate an array of 100 rectangles print them out and then mark one on click and move it.
>
> The only way i understand it work is to actually check if the click is within any of the rectangles boundaries. And then change the rectangle cordinates to the mouse cordinates using animation to draw out the new position?
>
> Well i will post my example code soon, and you can tell if it is the wrong way to do it.

Depends on what you are doing. If your array of rectangles is actually
an array of DOM objects (for example a bunch of DIVs positioned inside
some parent container element or perhaps SVG objects) then you could
indeed register the listeners on those "rectangles".

The basic fact is that registering event handlers is defined on DOM
elements.

If you have your own definition of rectangles you will still need a DOM
object that you use to represent them on (draw) and that will give you
events that you can map back to your rectangles. Something like a canvas
would work fine...

JT

Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 16:47:58 UTC+1 skrev Silvio:
> On 02/22/2016 04:37 PM, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Javascript objects alone have nothing to do with UI interaction. If you
> >> want your object to respond to it, bind said events of a visual element
> >> to the methods you need.
> >
> > Well i just learned howto catch the mouse events, and now i am interested in how i can for example generate an array of 100 rectangles print them out and then mark one on click and move it.
> >
> > The only way i understand it work is to actually check if the click is within any of the rectangles boundaries. And then change the rectangle cordinates to the mouse cordinates using animation to draw out the new position?
> >
> > Well i will post my example code soon, and you can tell if it is the wrong way to do it.
> >

> Depends on what you are doing. If your array of rectangles is actually
> an array of DOM objects (for example a bunch of DIVs positioned inside
> some parent container element or perhaps SVG objects) then you could
> indeed register the listeners on those "rectangles".
>
> The basic fact is that registering event handlers is defined on DOM
> elements.
>
> If you have your own definition of rectangles you will still need a DOM
> object that you use to represent them on (draw) and that will give you
> events that you can map back to your rectangles. Something like a canvas
> would work fine...

The logic with the eventhandlers somehow escape me why isnt't mouseup and mousedown booleans i get the object. But i fail to see how i can release it so maybe the approach is wrong?

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
</head>
<form name=Edoit onSubmit="initanime(); return false;">
<form name=Fdoit onSubmit="stopanime(); return false;">
<input type=submit name="stop_anime" value="haltA">
<canvas id="myCanvas" width="9800" height="9800">Your browser does not support the HTML5 canvas tag.</canvas>
Copyright © Jonas Thörnvall <font color="gold" size="1">jonas.thornvall@hotmail.com

<script type="text/javascript">
// GLOBAL VARIABLES

var refresh = 5;
var timer = 5;

//Get X,Y cordinates mouse position
function getPosition(canvas, evt) {
var rect = canvas.getBoundingClientRect();
return {
x: evt.clientX - rect.left,
y: evt.clientY - rect.top
};
}

// Onload
function scriptload()
{
canvas = document.getElementById("myCanvas");
ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");
initscript();
listeners();
startanime();
}

//Listenters logic
function listeners(){
myCanvas.addEventListener("mouseup", function(evt){
mouseUp = getPosition(canvas, evt);
message = 'Mouse up: ' + mouseUp.x + ',' + mouseUp.y;
}, false);
myCanvas.addEventListener("mousedown", function(evt){
mouseDown = getPosition(canvas, evt);
message = 'Mouse down: ' + mouseDown.x + ',' + mouseDown.y;
}, false);
myCanvas.addEventListener('mousemove', function(evt) {
mousePos = getPosition(canvas, evt);
message = 'Mouse position: ' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
}, false);
}

//Initiate values
function initscript()
{
hold=false;
message="";
mousePos = [0,0];
mouseDown = [0,0];
mouseUp=[0,0]
SQwidth=20,SQheigth=20,SQposX=200,SQposY=200;
}

//Paint logic
function redraw()
{
//Clear canvas
ctx.clearRect(0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
listener_logic();
//Redraw canvas
paint_out(canvas,message);
}

//How program behave on mouse click, drag, drop
function listener_logic(){
if (mouseDown.x>=SQposX && mouseDown.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseDown.y>=SQposY && mouseDown.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
message = 'Got it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
hold=!hold;
}
}

//Paint out and redraw stuff on canvas
function paint_out(canvas, message)
{
if (hold==true){SQposX=mousePos.x-10;SQposY=mousePos.y-10; }
ctx.font = '18pt Calibri';
ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
ctx.fillText(message, 10, 25);
ctx.fillStyle = "#FF0000";
ctx.fillRect(SQposX,SQposY,SQwidth,SQheigth);
}

//Start animation "form"
function startanime()
{
refresh = setInterval(redraw, 50);
}

//Stop animation "form"
function stopanime()
{
clearInterval(refresh);
}
</script>

JT

Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 19:29:55 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]
> listener_logic();
> //Redraw canvas
> paint_out(canvas,message);
> }
>
> //How program behave on mouse click, drag, drop
> function listener_logic(){
> if (mouseDown.x>=SQposX && mouseDown.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseDown..y>=SQposY && mouseDown.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
> message = 'Got it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
> hold=!hold;
> }
> }
>
> //Paint out and redraw stuff on canvas
> function paint_out(canvas, message)
> {
> if (hold==true){SQposX=mousePos.x-10;SQposY=mousePos.y-10; }
> ctx.font = '18pt Calibri';
> ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
> ctx.fillText(message, 10, 25);
> ctx.fillStyle = "#FF0000";
> ctx.fillRect(SQposX,SQposY,SQwidth,SQheigth);

I just fail to see why and how mouseDown can still generate new cordinates when the mousebutton no longer pressed? And why isn't it a mousedown a boolean?
I understan mousepos

What is actually mouseup, mousedown and mousemove they do not seem to be variables? How can a listener for mouseDown keep generating cordinates after button released?

Or is the mouseDown.x and mouseDown.y same x and y and as in the other two eventhandlers?

Den måndag 22 februari 2016 kl. 22:23:49 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]
> > </script>
>
> I just fail to see why and how mouseDown can still generate new cordinates when the mousebutton no longer pressed? And why isn't it a mousedown a boolean?
> I understan mousepos
>
> What is actually mouseup, mousedown and mousemove they do not seem to be variables? How can a listener for mouseDown keep generating cordinates after button released?
>
> Or is the mouseDown.x and mouseDown.y same x and y and as in the other two eventhandlers?
>
> myCanvas.addEventListener("mousedown", function(evt){
> mouseDown = getPosition(canvas, evt);
> message = 'Mouse down: ' + mouseDown.x + ',' + mouseDown.y;
> }, false);
>
> if (mouseDown.x>=SQposX && mouseDown.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseDown..y>=SQposY && mouseDown.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
> message = 'Got it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;

I got it working but i can't judge the approach.

[...]

hold=true;

} else if (mouseUp.x>=SQposX && mouseUp.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseUp..y>=SQposY && mouseUp.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
message = 'Released it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
hold=false
}
}
//Paint out and redraw stuff on canvas
function paint_out(canvas, message)
{
if (hold==true){SQposX=mousePos.x-10;SQposY=mousePos.y-10; }
ctx.font = '18pt Calibri';
ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
ctx.fillText(message, 10, 25);
ctx.fillStyle = "#FF0000";
ctx.fillRect(SQposX,SQposY,SQwidth,SQheigth);
}

//Start animation "form"
function startanime()
{
refresh = setInterval(redraw, 150);
}

//Stop animation "form"
function stopanime()
{
clearInterval(refresh);
}
</script>

Silvio

On 02/22/2016 10:34 PM, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> if (mouseDown.x>=SQposX && mouseDown.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseDown.y>=SQposY && mouseDown.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
> message = 'Got it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
> hold=true;
>
> } else if (mouseUp.x>=SQposX && mouseUp.x<=(SQposX+SQwidth) && mouseUp.y>=SQposY && mouseUp.y<=(SQposY+SQwidth)){
> message = 'Released it:' + mousePos.x + ',' + mousePos.y;
> hold=false
> }
> }
> //Paint out and redraw stuff on canvas
> function paint_out(canvas, message)
> {
> if (hold==true){SQposX=mousePos.x-10;SQposY=mousePos.y-10; }
> ctx.font = '18pt Calibri';
> ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
> ctx.fillText(message, 10, 25);
> ctx.fillStyle = "#FF0000";
> ctx.fillRect(SQposX,SQposY,SQwidth,SQheigth);

I am sorry but I lack the time to really go over this in detail. But at
first glance it seems your approach is what I described last: you have a
canvas object and draw your own rectangles on it.

The only object that is managed by your execution context (the curent
HTML page inside the browser, in this case) is that canvas. It offers
primitives for drawing on its surface and for listening to events like
mouse events and keyboard events. The only one who understands your
rectangles is you. So you have to explicitly draw them on the canvas and
you have to translate mouse events on the canvas to an interpretation
involving your rectangles. Which is a perfectly plausible approach. You
could extend that into rectangles supporting mouse event listeners on
their own but you would have to implement that logic yourself.