comp.lang.javascript

FAQ: Update of FAQ Notes

RobG

8/23/2015 11:12:00 PM

The FAQ Notes have some excellent articles, however they're becoming dated. ES5 was introduced in June 2011 and now ECMAScript 2015 is the current standard. The articles and FAQ don't seem to have been updated to reflect his.

For example, the closures article[1] makes many references to ECMA-262 ed 3 and uses language from that specification. Terms like "host object" are replaced with "exotic object" and the statement "[the prototype] property is not directly accessible with scripts" is no longer true given *Object.getPrototypeOf".

There are many other examples. Is there an FAQ maintainer? Is there a plan to update the FAQ to reflect the current standard?

1. http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/closur...
5 Answers

ram

RobG <rgqld@iinet.net.au> writes:
>The articles and FAQ don't seem to have been updated to
>reflect his.

There are no frequently-asked questions anymore, because
the number of questions asked is so low that one cannot
anymore make a meaningful statistical analysis of which
questions are asked »often«.

JR

On 23/08/2015 20:11, RobG wrote:
> The FAQ Notes have some excellent articles, however they're becoming
> dated.
> [snip]
> Is there an FAQ maintainer?

Yes, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn.

> Is there a
> plan to update the FAQ to reflect the current standard?

None that I am aware of.

> 1. http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/closur...

See the newer URL:
<http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq...

--
Joao Rodrigues

Tim Streater

In article <mre2en$9fk$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Joao Rodrigues
<groups_jr-1@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

>On 23/08/2015 20:11, RobG wrote:
>> The FAQ Notes have some excellent articles, however they're becoming
>> dated.
>> [snip]
>> Is there an FAQ maintainer?
>
>Yes, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn.

No, he's just a loudmouth.

--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

Evertjan.

Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote on 24 Aug 2015 in
comp.lang.javascript:

>>> Is there an FAQ maintainer?
>>
>>Yes, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn.
>
> No, he's just a loudmouth.

In practice, he is,
as nobody else, including Tim,
wants to do it.

Tim's personal animosity is not much better
than the way Thomas sometimes acts,
Thomas also does good things for the group.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RobG wrote:

> The FAQ Notes have some excellent articles, however they're becoming
> dated. ES5 was introduced in June 2011 and now ECMAScript 2015 is the
> current standard. The articles and FAQ don't seem to have been updated to
> reflect his.

ACK. However, note that the implementation of the 6th Edition is still
incomplete at best. For example, â??Proxyâ? is not implemented by Google V8
JavaScript in Chromium â??44.0.2403.89 Built on Debian stretch/sid, running on
Debian stretch/sid (64-bit)�, but by Mozilla JavaScript in Iceweasel 38.1.0
for the same OS/platform.

> For example, the closures article[1] makes many references to ECMA-262 ed
> 3 and uses language from that specification.

It also makes at least one reference to the 5.1 Edition and uses its
terminology, although probably not consistently as it was created before.

> Terms like "host object" are replaced with "exotic object"

In the 6th Edition/2015, not before. Whether that was a smart move remains
to be seen. I find the term â??host objectâ? to be more descriptive, but that
is not the reason why it is also used in the â??FAQ for comp.lang.javascriptâ?.

> and the statement "[the prototype] property is not directly accessible
> with scripts" is no longer true given *Object.getPrototypeOf".

This method has been introduced with Edition 5 already:

<http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix/?filter=getProto...

Also, the â??__proto__â? property was supported before:

<http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix/?filter=__p...

> There are many other examples. Is there an FAQ maintainer?

Yes.

> Is there a plan to update the FAQ to reflect the current standard?

There is a plan to update the â??FAQ for comp.lang.javascriptâ?. But as I have
a day job, I am relying on your contributions to make that happen. (I have
announced it here and on Twitter at this FAQâ??s inception, several years
ago.) This year I am implementing a plan to make contributions easier in
the future. But you can contribute to the content right now; several people
have done it already, for which I am thankful.

> 1. http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/closur...

See below.

--
PointedEars, ed.