comp.lang.javascript

JavaScript is in the OED now

ram

6/29/2015 8:08:00 PM

»JavaScript« has been added to the OED. One can find it here:

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2015-update/new-words-list-...

. The short explanation says that it is a »proprietary name«
for a programming language that was developed by Brendan Eich
and commonly used for interactive features in web browsers.

6 Answers

Mel Smith

Stefan Ram said:
> »JavaScript« has been added to the OED. One can find it here:
>
> http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2015-update/new-words-list-...
>
> . The short explanation says that it is a »proprietary name«
> for a programming language that was developed by Brendan Eich
> and commonly used for interactive features in web browsers.

I hope Thomas Lahn will not notice this. I do like strife !

-Mel Smith

Evertjan.

"Mel Smith" <syntel@cox.net> wrote on 30 Jun 2015 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Stefan Ram said:
>> ¯JavaScript® has been added to the OED. One can find it here:
>>
>> http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/...
>> update/new-words-list-june-2015/
>>
>> . The short explanation says that it is a ¯proprietary name®
>> for a programming language that was developed by Brendan Eich
>> and commonly used for interactive features in web browsers.
>>

> I hope Thomas Lahn will not notice this. I do like strife !

1995 Network World 4 Dec.
JavaScript should make it easier for developers to populate World-Wide Web
pages with audible and animated interactive screen elements.

2001 Economist 22 Sept.
There is even a scripting language called JavaScript ? a clever marketing
ploy, since it is linguistically unrelated to Java.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Mel Smith

"Mel Smith" <syntel@cox.net> wrote in message
> I hope Thomas Lahn will not notice this. I do like strife !

typo: I do NOT like strife !

-Mel

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mel Smith wrote:

> "Mel Smith" <syntel@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I hope Thomas Lahn will not notice this.

Why do you hope I will not notice this?

>> I do like strife !
>
> typo: I do NOT like strife !

Why do you post this, then?

--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.... | SVN: <http://PointedEars.de...

Mel Smith

"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <PointedEars@web.de> wrote in message

> Why do you post this, then?

Ummmm ... I guess its because I'm tired and depressed of thinking about
gravitational 'waves', and need somebody to berate me -- and thus take my
mind off this so-called wave search non-problem. When someone defines what a
'wave' is and further what is 'waving' (other than the ludicrous space-time
crap), then maybe I will stop needing abuse.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mel Smith wrote:

> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" [â?¦] wrote [â?¦]:
>> Why do you post this, then?
>
> Ummmm ... I guess its because I'm tired and depressed of thinking
> about
> gravitational 'waves', and need somebody to berate me -- and thus take my
> mind off this so-called wave search non-problem. When someone defines what
> a 'wave' is and further what is 'waving' (other than the ludicrous
> space-time crap), then maybe I will stop needing abuse.

For understanding gravitational waves, why it is important to look
for them, and why space-time is not crap, you should subscribe to

For everything else, you should consider this:

â??Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought: learn to know
what is from what seems to be, and what you wish to be.

This is the key to everything: The truth of reality,
the reality of truth. What /is/ will set you free.�

â??Surak

(Notice that I did not berate you.)