comp.lang.lisp

Cells for Clojure Rizing

Kenneth Tilton

4/26/2016 2:20:00 PM

Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...

That is just standalone Cells (a new thang inspired by Hoplon Javelin, tho I doubt it will have much value).

Also new: Cell-specific observers. Unfortunately we lose the progn combinatio method on observers because Clojurians are weak on OO (by preference).

Also new but not demoed above: cell-specific change detection.

Now back to my job interview coding exercise...am I the only one who does these in Lisp before translating to the language I am pretending to know?

-hk
11 Answers

rpw3

His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Now back to my job interview coding exercise...
| am I the only one who does these in Lisp before
| translating to the language I am pretending to know?
+---------------

No. ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <http://rpw...
San Mateo, CA 94403

Paul Rubin

His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> writes:
> Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...

Kennyness is using Clojure? Wow, how are you liking it so far?

I've looked at it a little and liked what I saw, except for that evil
JVM underneath it. I haven't tried using it.

Kenneth Tilton

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:27:59 PM UTC-4, Paul Rubin wrote:
> His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> writes:
> > Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...
>
> Kennyness is using Clojure? Wow, how are you liking it so far?

I did not like Lisp-1 when I did ArcCells, this time I love it. Go figure.

Clojure has proper macros, I am happy.

Other than that, suspending judgment until it has a chance to sink in. So far I prefer big unopinionated balls of mud.

-kt

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 8:26:37 AM UTC-4, His Kennyness wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:27:59 PM UTC-4, Paul Rubin wrote:
> > His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> writes:
> > > Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...
> >
> > Kennyness is using Clojure? Wow, how are you liking it so far?
>
> I did not like Lisp-1 when I did ArcCells, this time I love it. Go figure.
>
> Clojure has proper macros, I am happy.
>
> Other than that, suspending judgment until it has a chance to sink in. So far I prefer big unopinionated balls of mud.
>
> -kt
>

> > I've looked at it a little and liked what I saw, except for that evil
> > JVM underneath it. I haven't tried using it.

ps. Only doing this to find work*, but the port to Cells went well, sorted out a longstanding benign issue, and added new features such as standalone Cells and Cell-specific observers and change detection. Also looking forward to parallelizing propagation through the dependency graph.

* but now that I am doing it I like the vibrant/capable community. It seems like the Second Coming for Lisp.

-kt

Bigos

On 26/04/16 15:20, His Kennyness wrote:

> Now back to my job interview coding exercise...am I the only one who does these in Lisp before translating to the language I am pretending to know?
>
> -hk

Interesting tip

Madhu

* His Kennyness <b65c5c11-e599-4fa1-af00-8d3e3e35911a@googlegroups.com> :
Wrote on Wed, 27 Apr 2016 05:36:38 -0700 (PDT):

|> > Kennyness is using Clojure? Wow, how are you liking it so far?
|>
|> I did not like Lisp-1 when I did ArcCells, this time I love it. Go
|> figure.

^^ this is scary

|> Clojure has proper macros, I am happy.
|>
|> Other than that, suspending judgment until it has a chance to sink
|> in. So far I prefer big unopinionated balls of mud.

big balls or big bills
whats it going to be

| * but now that I am doing it I like the vibrant/capable community.

hahaha

| It seems like the Second Coming for Lisp.

i think they used that marketing line for java too (with the garbage (collection))

Paul Rubin

His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> writes:
> * but now that I am doing it I like the vibrant/capable community. It
> seems like the Second Coming for Lisp.

Yeah, lots of really respected Lispers said things like that about
Clojure at Lisp50. Doesn't the Java entanglement drive you nuts though?
Is wanting a Clojure decoupled from Java a sane desire?

I can tell you that being into Haskell has helped me find work, even if
the work doesn't itself involve Haskell. So bigger toolboxes are a good
thing.

endlessboomcapitalism

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:20:16 AM UTC-4, His Kennyness wrote:
> Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...
>
> That is just standalone Cells (a new thang inspired by Hoplon Javelin, tho I doubt it will have much value).
>
> Also new: Cell-specific observers. Unfortunately we lose the progn combinatio method on observers because Clojurians are weak on OO (by preference).
>
> Also new but not demoed above: cell-specific change detection.
>
> Now back to my job interview coding exercise...am I the only one who does these in Lisp before translating to the language I am pretending to know?
>
> -hk

noooo jvm!! oracle is cancer

Kaz Kylheku

On 2016-04-26, His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Almost there: https://github.com/kennytilton/its-alive/blob/master...

Dude, you should like totally register a domain like "windmills.<tld>".

Then you could be tilton@windmills.

Kenneth Tilton

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 2:04:12 PM UTC-4, Paul Rubin wrote:
> His Kennyness <kentilton@gmail.com> writes:
> > * but now that I am doing it I like the vibrant/capable community. It
> > seems like the Second Coming for Lisp.
>
> Yeah, lots of really respected Lispers said things like that about
> Clojure at Lisp50. Doesn't the Java entanglement drive you nuts though?

"Entanglement"? I ignore that it runs on the JVM. If I ever need a library, I suspect I will find one (but I usually find them in Lisp or via CFFI, so not much of an issue).

Did you mean something else?

> Is wanting a Clojure decoupled from Java a sane desire?

Sure, if one loves the Clojure functional state thang and has issues with the JVM. But then it might be better to come up with an STM library for CL.

> I can tell you that being into Haskell has helped me find work, even if
> the work doesn't itself involve Haskell. So bigger toolboxes are a good
> thing.

Yep.

-hk