comp.lang.lisp

local install of sbcl

Jim Newton

4/13/2016 1:21:00 PM

I'm working on a linux machine for which I do not have admin rights.
I've downloaded compiled and installed sbcl in ~/bin
But when I start sbcl, I get the warning message below.
I downloaded the newest release of asdf into ~/sw/asdf and
found in the asdf manual and it suggests using
tools/asdf-tools install-asdf sbcl

I tried to execute that but got a very strange error about ccl.

jnewton@Uzeb ~ $ sw/asdf/tools/asdf-tools install-asdf sbcl
/usr/local/bin/ccl: 48: exec: /usr/local/src/ccl/lx86cl: not found

Can someone suggest what I need to do?

WARNING:
You are using ASDF version 3.1.3 (probably from (require "asdf") or loaded
by quicklisp) and have an older version of ASDF 3.0.2 registered at
#P"/usr/local/share/common-lisp/source/asdf/asdf.asd". Having an ASDF
installed and registered is the normal way of configuring ASDF to upgrade
itself, and having an old version registered is a configuration error. ASDF
will ignore this configured system rather than downgrade itself. In the
future, you may want to either: (a) upgrade this configured ASDF to a newer
version, (b) install a newer ASDF and register it in front of the former in
your configuration, or (c) uninstall or unregister this and any other old
version of ASDF from your configuration. Note that the older ASDF might be
registered implicitly through configuration inherited from your system
installation, in which case you might have to specify
:ignore-inherited-configuration in your in your
~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf or other source-registry
configuration file, environment variable or lisp parameter. Indeed, a likely
offender is an obsolete version of the cl-asdf debian or ubuntu package,
that you might want to upgrade (if a recent enough version is available) or
else remove altogether (since most implementations ship with a recent asdf);
if you lack the system administration rights to upgrade or remove this
package, then you might indeed want to either install and register a more
recent version, or use :ignore-inherited-configuration to avoid registering
the old one. Please consult ASDF documentation and/or experts.
4 Answers

Jim Newton

this turned out to be an issue with the ccl installation. Thanks Didier for fixing it.
On to the next problem.

jnewton@Uzeb ~ $ sw/asdf/tools/asdf-tools install-asdf sbcl
> Error: Error Component "inferior-shell" not found, required by #<SYSTEM "asdf-tools">
> While executing: RESOLVE-DEPENDENCY-NAME, in process listener(1).
> Type :GO to continue, :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> If continued: Skip loading "sw/asdf/tools/asdf-tools"
> Type :? for other options.
1 >

Jim Newton

It seems to be quicklisp or something it calls which is issuing the warning.

If I start sbcl with no .sbclrc file, and issue the following commands, here's what I see.

jnewton@Uzeb ~ $ sbcl
This is SBCL 1.2.3.62-989a1d6, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbc....

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses. See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
* (let ((quicklisp-init
"/home/jnewton/sw/quicklisp/setup.lisp"))
(when (probe-file quicklisp-init)
(load quicklisp-init)))
[...]

*

Jim Newton

The advise (b) given in the warning is the following.

(b) install a newer ASDF and register it in front of the former in
your configuration,

I have downloaded a newest asdf into ~/sw/asdf
Can someone tell me how to "register it in front of the former" as suggested?

Jim Newton

Thanks Faré for helping.
Apparently the secret recipe is to download an up to date copy of asdf and install it into ~/common-lisp,
once I did that, asdf stopped looking in /usr/local/share/common-lisp/source

I hope this information helps the next person with the same problem.