comp.lang.lisp

pronunciation of "CDR"

ram

3/8/2016 1:01:00 AM

I only ever /read/ »CDR«, but never heard it pronounced.
So I made up my own pronunciation, which is like »Q«
(IPA: ['kjud%], where %=schwar)

Now I heard Harold Abelson, he pronounces it more like
could-a been the champion of the world«). (IPA: ['kUda])

8 Answers

Kaz Kylheku

On 2016-03-08, Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I only ever /read/ »CDR«, but never heard it pronounced.
> So I made up my own pronunciation, which is like »Q«
> (IPA: ['kjud%], where %=schwar)
>
> Now I heard Harold Abelson, he pronounces it more like
> could-a been the champion of the world«). (IPA: ['kUda])

I use "cedar". It's the one of the three closest dictionary words that we can
find by adding letters to "cdr".

$ txr
This is the TXR Lisp interactive listener of TXR 134.
Use the :quit command or type Ctrl-D on empty line to exit.
1> (with-stream (s (open-file "/usr/share/dict/words"))
(take 30 [sort (keep-if (op match-regex @1 #/c.*d.*r/) (get-lines s)) : length])))
("cider" "cedar" "cadre" "cruder" "condor" "colder" "codger" "cinder"
"ciders" "cedars" "candor" "cadres" "cadger" "condors" "codgers"
"cinders" "cider's" "chowder" "cheddar" "cedar's" "caldron" "cadre's"
"cadgers" "cadaver" "cylinder" "cuddlier" "crusader" "cruddier"
"creditor" "corridor")

Take your pick. "cider", "cedar" and "cadre" are the only ones that insert only
vowels.

ram

Kaz Kylheku <330-706-9395@kylheku.com> writes:
>I use "cedar". It's the one of the three closest dictionary words that we can
>find by adding letters to "cdr".
>("cider" "cedar" "cadre" "cruder" "condor" "colder" "codger" "cinder"
>Take your pick. "cider", "cedar" and "cadre" are the only ones that insert only
>vowels.

You have missed the word that is most closely
related to the topic of programming: »coder«.

This would also align with the alleged origin:
»COntents of DEcrement Register«.

Jussi Piitulainen

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> Kaz Kylheku writes:
>> I use "cedar". It's the one of the three closest dictionary words
>> that we can find by adding letters to "cdr".
>>("cider" "cedar" "cadre" "cruder" "condor" "colder" "codger" "cinder"
>> Take your pick. "cider", "cedar" and "cadre" are the only ones that
>> insert only vowels.
>
> You have missed the word that is most closely
> related to the topic of programming: »coder«.
>
> This would also align with the alleged origin:
> »COntents of DEcrement Register«.

Nice.

smh

There are 14 standard functions in the c...r group, and they are generally
pronounced without inserting extraneous vowels. The fluent lisper can
easily communicate them orally with repeated neutral voicings of short `a'
and neutrally voiced `d' sounds. `a' syllables tend to be accented,
helping differentiate. Hence the synonym for first is KAr, for second
KA-dr, third KA-d-dr, but the cdr of the car is kDAr, which is different
than KA-DAr.

The a vowel tends to follow the English language pronunciation conventions.
For example, car is pronounced the same as the word for the vehicle, but
the a in cadr is the same as in cat. (An a sound is modified by a following
r, but regional variances apply. A Bostonian makes a bigger difference
between car and cat than does a New Yorker.)

None of this pronunciation stuff derives from usage in actual non-Lisp 7090
series assembly programming, which I did in my distant youth.

Richard Fateman

If Hal had a handicapped stickah he
CDR pahked his CAR in Havahd Yahd.

(This bit of humor is probably not worth explaining to
non-native US English speakers..)
RJF

Barry Margolin

In article <CDR-20160308015109@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>,
ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:

> I only ever /read/ »CDR«, but never heard it pronounced.
> So I made up my own pronunciation, which is like »Q«
> (IPA: ['kjud%], where %=schwar)
>
> Now I heard Harold Abelson, he pronounces it more like
> could-a been the champion of the world«). (IPA: ['kUda])

All the Lispers I knew at MIT and in the X3J13 committee in the 80's
pronounced it "could-er". "could-a" sounds like that said with a Boston
accent.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Kaz Kylheku

On 2016-03-08, Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <330-706-9395@kylheku.com> writes:
>>I use "cedar". It's the one of the three closest dictionary words that we can
>>find by adding letters to "cdr".
>>("cider" "cedar" "cadre" "cruder" "condor" "colder" "codger" "cinder"
>>Take your pick. "cider", "cedar" and "cadre" are the only ones that insert only
>>vowels.
>
> You have missed the word that is most closely
> related to the topic of programming: »coder«.

Using a word related to programming is a bad idea because it creates
confusion with the existing meanings.

Coder is the root for words like "encoder", "decoder" and "vocoder".
We could have a coder object in a program in which there are also
cons cells.

"Cedar" is nice because it's related to a tree structure, and trees
are natural, too. (We want a natural word.)

Here is "Red CDR", consed up by "Emily CAR" in 1931:

https://www.emilycarr.com/wp-content/uploads/wp-checkout/images/red-cedar-poster-1347...

ram

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>All the Lispers I knew at MIT and in the X3J13 committee in the 80's
>pronounced it "could-er". "could-a" sounds like that said with a Boston
>accent.

Today I listened again, and now I got the impression that
the sound indeed also could be described as »could-er«.