comp.lang.lisp

New book: Common Lisp Recipes A Problem-Solution Approach By Edmund Weitz

rielao

1/2/2016 9:54:00 AM

This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....
--
Rielao
9 Answers

Pascal J. Bourguignon

rielao@yahoo.com writes:

> This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....

I'm waiting for your buying it and reviewing it before I jump in.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
â??The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a

rielao

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 10:13:47 UTC, informatimago wrote:
> rielao@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....
>
> I'm waiting for your buying it and reviewing it before I jump in.

....but I was waiting for *your* review :-(

--
Rielao

Barry Margolin

In article <dd833392-a6c4-4faf-9687-20ac9e186bbd@googlegroups.com>,
rielao@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Saturday, 2 January 2016 10:13:47 UTC, informatimago wrote:
> > rielao@yahoo.com writes:
> >
> > > This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it
> > > yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....
> >
> > I'm waiting for your buying it and reviewing it before I jump in.
>
> ...but I was waiting for *your* review :-(

Does it have a chapter on solving the deadlock problem? Uh-oh, now we
have a meta-deadlock!

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Jeff Barnett

rielao@yahoo.com wrote on 1/2/2016 2:54 AM:
> This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....

Should we all chip in and buy a copy for WJ? Perhaps it would give him a
new source of quotes.
--
Jeff Barnett

Tom Russ

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 12:10:07 AM UTC-8, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> rielao@yahoo.com wrote on 1/2/2016 2:54 AM:
> > This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....
>
> Should we all chip in and buy a copy for WJ? Perhaps it would give him a
> new source of quotes.
> --
> Jeff Barnett

No, no, no, a thousand times no!
It would just give more code to be transformed into some language other than (Common) Lisp.

Common Lisp: (make-list 1000 :initial-element "no")
Python: ["no"]*1000

Milan Zamazal

It's for a reduced price now till tomorrow, so I bought it. Just
quickly looking into it I'd say (IMHO):

- It's a great book for someone who learned basics of CL and wants to
start real world programming in CL now.
- It's not for complete beginners.
- It's not for experienced CL programmers.
- It's probably still good for someone (like me) who knows CL but
doesn't use it that much actually; the book is big so there's a good
chance to find some useful tips there, finding how to do something may
be easier in the book than in HyperSpec or by Web search and it's
always fun to read about CL after all. Just one example: I learned
about :synchronized keyword of make-hash-table.

--
http://www.z...

rpw3

Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org> wrote:
+---------------
| Just one example: I learned about :synchronized
| keyword of make-hash-table.
+---------------

Uhhh... That looks like an SBCL-only extension.
Did he make it very clear that :SYNCHRONIZED
does *not* exist in ANSI CL's MAKE-HASH-TABLE?!?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <http://rpw...
San Mateo, CA 94403

Milan Zamazal

RW> That looks like an SBCL-only extension. Did he make it very
RW> clear that :SYNCHRONIZED does *not* exist in ANSI CL's
RW> MAKE-HASH-TABLE?!?

Yes, he clearly stated that this is an SBCL extension and also that it's
marked as experimental in SBCL manual. He gave it as one of examples of
handling hash table access safety in multithreaded environments by CL
implementations. And additionally warns about the need of carefully
checking implementation documentation, about possibly different meaning
of "thread-safety" in different CL implementations and about what is
actually "single access" operation.

The book looks written competently and carefully to me at the first
glance.

--
http://www.z...

Alexander Skobelev

rielao@yahoo.com writes:

> This has apparently just been published by Apress. Has anyone got it yet? Looks good: <https://www.apress.com/9781484....
> --
> Rielao

Till February 24 the printed book costs a half of its price â?? 26.47â?¬. It
is cheaper than the eBook version.