comp.lang.lisp

Life and Death Go Problems in Lisp

gengyangcai

12/2/2015 9:12:00 PM

How do I write a Lisp program that displays the 4 life-and-death Go problems below ? -----

http://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiLifeAndDeath10...

I know the solution to the Go problems , but have no idea how to even start writing the code. Help ...

Gengyang
15 Answers

Pascal J. Bourguignon

CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:

> How do I write a Lisp program that displays the 4 life-and-death Go
> problems below ? -----
>
> http://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiLifeAndDeath10...
>
> I know the solution to the Go problems , but have no idea how to even
> start writing the code. Help ...

What have you been doing for the last six months?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
â??The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a

gengyangcai

Can I pay someone to teach me how to write programs in Lisp through Skype or some other video system ? I find it really tough(and boring) to learn things alone ... need human interaction and hear a person explaining things to me .... If I were 5% as smart as Isaac Newton, I wouldn't be posting here for help , and I don't know a single Lisp programmer in Singapore ...

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 5:54:13 AM UTC+8, informatimago wrote:
> CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > How do I write a Lisp program that displays the 4 life-and-death Go
> > problems below ? -----
> >
> > http://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiLifeAndDeath10...
> >
> > I know the solution to the Go problems , but have no idea how to even
> > start writing the code. Help ...
>
> What have you been doing for the last six months?
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
> "The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a
> dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to
> keep the man from touching the equipment." -- Carl Bass CEO Autodesk

Kaz Kylheku

On 2015-12-02, CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know the solution to the Go problems , but have no idea how to even start
> writing the code. Help ...

This is not an effective forum for solving the question "how do I begin writing
code".

Pascal J. Bourguignon

CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:

> Can I pay someone to teach me how to write programs in Lisp through
> Skype or some other video system ? I find it really tough(and boring)
> to learn things alone ... need human interaction and hear a person
> explaining things to me .... If I were 5% as smart as Isaac Newton, I
> wouldn't be posting here for help , and I don't know a single Lisp
> programmer in Singapore ...

Well, nowadays, good teachers are paid very well, to publish MASSIVE
Online Open Courses, so that it's amortised over a big number of
students (some courses enroll several hundred thousands of students!).

So I would imagine that it'd be rather expensive to get one-to-one
teachers.

Have you tried to watch course videos on youtube?

For example, the authors of this course:
https://mitpress.mit...
https://mitpress.mit...full-text/book/book.html
have made a serie of video courses available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PL8FE88A...

So basically, you can spend 10 weeks studing sicp, taking one afternoon
in the week to watch two videos, and the rest of the week to read the
corresponding sections in the book, doing the exercises, checking your
solutions with the various published set of sicp solutions you'll find
on the web, looking up in other scheme references for information you're
missing about the language (browse http://sch...).

Oh, and right, while sicp teaches you how to program, it uses scheme
instead of Common Lisp. So you have two choices: either translate the
exemples given in scheme to Common Lisp, and implement the exercises in
Common Lisp (but for that you'd have to know both Scheme and Common Lisp
and I'm afraid it'd be too much for you), or just learn programming
using scheme, and you can learn Common Lisp easily later when you know
how to program. But in the mean time, that means you'll have to haunt
news:comp.lang.scheme and irc://irc.freenode.org/#scheme
instead of news:comp.lang.lisp and irc://irc.freenode.org/#clnoobs.

https://www.coursera.org/courses/?query=initiation+p...
https://learn.saylor.org/course/search.php?search=p...
https://www.codec...

On 2015-12-02, CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I pay someone to teach me how to write programs in Lisp through Skype or
> some other video system ? I find it really tough(and boring) to learn things
> alone ... need human interaction and hear a person explaining things to me
> .... If I were 5% as smart as Isaac Newton, I wouldn't be posting here for
> help , and I don't know a single Lisp programmer in Singapore ...

That's to say nothing of if you only needed as little as 10X the human
interaction that Newton did to stay motivated in working on something
technical all day long.

Paul Rubin

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
> CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:...
> What have you been doing for the last six months?

comp.lang.python.

Marco Antoniotti

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 3:53:35 AM UTC+1, Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
> > CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:...
> > What have you been doing for the last six months?
>
> comp.lang.python.

Naaaaaaah. Staring at Whitespace code is more likely.... :)

Cheers
--
MA

Kenneth Tilton

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 5:20:50 PM UTC-5, CAI GENGYANG wrote:
> I don't know a single Lisp programmer in Singapore ...

There are 119 here: http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Functional-Programme...

hth, hk

mrs

In article <87a8psqutp.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can I pay someone to teach me how to write programs in Lisp through
>> Skype or some other video system?

>Have you tried to watch course videos on youtube?

I learned lisp before youtube. :-) I taught myself by implementing a
lisp system. I think that's a fine way to learn lisp. After you do
that, you can then run the examples from online tutorials (or books)
and have a pretty good idea of just how they work. No, you don't need
to implement all of CL.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

mrs@kithrup.com (Mike Stump) writes:

> In article <87a8psqutp.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
> Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>>CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Can I pay someone to teach me how to write programs in Lisp through
>>> Skype or some other video system?
>
>>Have you tried to watch course videos on youtube?
>
> I learned lisp before youtube. :-) I taught myself by implementing a
> lisp system. I think that's a fine way to learn lisp.

Of course, for normal people. But not for the idiots we have nowadays.