comp.lang.lisp

What's the current best choice for accessing SQL?

Andrew Berg

11/20/2015 10:19:00 PM

I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. Looking around I've found several different interfaces, there may be others. I'm looking for feedback about which one is kind of "best" for building an application around.

I've found 3 kind-of frontrunners:

CLSQL
* Seems to be maintained
* Includes an ORM
* Includes FDDL for configuring schema

cl-dbi
* Seems to be maintained
* Allows/encourages pretty straightforward SQL
* Possibly the smallest one -- fewer bugs?

Crane
* Does not appear to be maintained
* Appears to be kind of late-Alpha / early-Beta stage
* Claims to handle database migrations
* Very opinionated

Thoughts?
12 Answers

RD Sandman

bigdog <jecorbett1951@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:14:43 PM UTC-5, STEADY EDDY wrote:
>
>> Anybody? You think it feels good to kill someone face to face? You
>> don't want to know what that feeling is, trust me. I hear all these
>> big gun talkers bragging about shooting people. Nobody in this
>> newsgroup had to take a human life. I can bet on that by the way
>> Klaus and some of his shit for brain minions talk. Be thankful you
>> don't know how it feels to watch the life drain out of the eyes of
>> someone you had to shoot. I thankfully never had to shoot a man and I
>> hope I never have too. It is not something I would do if I could
>> avoid it.
>
> I hope I never have to shoot anyone either, because it will be a
> situation where I could die, but if it is necessary to save my life or
> those near to me, I want to have the necessary hardware and skill.
> Nobody knows how they would react or perform in a kill or be killed
> situation but I do know that thousands of people every year, some with
> no more skill or experience in firing a weapon than I do. are able to
> use their firearms to defend themselves against a potentially deadly
> attack. I know if I am ever in such a situation, I will be better off
> with a gun than without one. I would rather be the windshield than the
> bug.

Having a gun simply gives me an option an unarmed man does not have. One
more point in my favor.

--
Sleep well, tonight.....

RD (The Sandman

If law school is so hard to get through....
how come there are so many lawyers?

RD Sandman

Klaus Schadenfreude <klausschadenfreude@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>bigdog <jecorbett1951@yahoo.com> wrote in talk.politics.guns :
>
>>On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:14:43 PM UTC-5, STEADY EDDY wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody? You think it feels good to kill someone face to face? You
>>> don't want to know what that feeling is, trust me. I hear all these
>>> big gun talkers bragging about shooting people. Nobody in this
>>> newsgroup had to take a human life. I can bet on that by the way
>>> Klaus and some of his shit for brain minions talk. Be thankful you
>>> don't know how it feels to watch the life drain out of the eyes of
>>> someone you had to shoot. I thankfully never had to shoot a man and
>>> I hope I never have too. It is not something I would do if I could
>>> avoid it.
>>
>>I hope I never have to shoot anyone either, because it will be a
>>situation where I could die, but if it is necessary to save my life or
>>those near to me, I want to have the necessary hardware and skill.
>>Nobody knows how they would react or perform in a kill or be killed
>>situation but I do know that thousands of people every year, some with
>>no more skill or experience in firing a weapon than I do. are able to
>>use their firearms to defend themselves against a potentially deadly
>>attack. I know if I am ever in such a situation, I will be better off
>>with a gun than without one. I would rather be the windshield than the
>>bug.
>
> So if he never had to shoot a man, why should we "trust him" that we
> don't want to know what the feeling is? Did he read it in a book? See
> it on Oprah?
>
> It's pretty stupid to assume that no one in this newsgroup has ever
> killed anyone, but then, that's kinda what we've come to expect from
> poor little Eddie.

Are you talking about the man who makes a killing on the market through
hindsight?

--
Sleep well, tonight.....

RD (The Sandman

If law school is so hard to get through....
how come there are so many lawyers?

steadyeddy4u

On Jan 2, 4:23 pm, bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:14:43 PM UTC-5, STEADY EDDY wrote:
> > Anybody? You think it feels good to kill someone face to face? You
> > don't want to know what that feeling is, trust me. I hear all these
> > big gun talkers bragging about shooting people. Nobody in this
> > newsgroup had to take a human life. I can bet on that by the way Klaus
> > and some of his shit for brain minions talk. Be thankful you don't
> > know how it feels to watch the life drain out of the eyes of someone
> > you had to shoot. I thankfully never had to shoot a man and I hope I
> > never have too. It is not something I would do if I could avoid it.
>
> I hope I never have to shoot anyone either, because it will be a situation where I could die, but if it is necessary to save my life or those near to me, I want to have the necessary hardware and skill. Nobody knows how they would react or perform in a kill or be killed situation but I do know that thousands of people every year, some with no more skill or experience in firing a weapon than I do. are able to use their firearms to defend themselves against a potentially deadly attack. I know if I am ever in such a situation, I will be better off with a gun than without one. I would rather be the windshield than the bug.

You are the type of person that I would not have a problem owning a
gun(s). You don't make statements about taking pleasure in shooting
somebody and you value life. I wonder about some of the people in this
newsgroup who brag about how much pleasure they would get from
shooting a human being.

steadyeddy4u

On Jan 2, 4:59 pm, Klaus Schadenfreude <klausschadenfre...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> >bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote in talk.politics.guns :
> >On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:14:43 PM UTC-5, STEADY EDDY wrote:
>
> >> Anybody? You think it feels good to kill someone face to face? You
> >> don't want to know what that feeling is, trust me. I hear all these
> >> big gun talkers bragging about shooting people. Nobody in this
> >> newsgroup had to take a human life. I can bet on that by the way Klaus
> >> and some of his shit for brain minions talk. Be thankful you don't
> >> know how it feels to watch the life drain out of the eyes of someone
> >> you had to shoot. I thankfully never had to shoot a man and I hope I
> >> never have too. It is not something I would do if I could avoid it.
>
> >I hope I never have to shoot anyone either, because it will be a situation where I could die, but if it is necessary to save my life or those near to me, I want to have the necessary hardware and skill. Nobody knows how they would react or perform in a kill or be killed situation but I do know that thousands of people every year, some with no more skill or experience in firing a weapon than I do. are able to use their firearms to defend themselves against a potentially deadly attack. I know if I am ever in such a situation, I will be better off with a gun than without one. I would rather be the windshield than the bug.
>
> So if he never had to shoot a man, why should we "trust him" that we
> don't want to know what the feeling is? Did he read it in a book? See
> it on Oprah?
>
> It's pretty stupid to assume that no one in this newsgroup has ever
> killed anyone, but then, that's kinda what we've come to expect from
> poor little Eddie.

What is wrong with Oprah? You think police officers don't have
feelings of regret when they have take a life? I am close with a lot
of police officers. I know how they hate fuckers like you who flash
their guns around and talk tough. I play golf with the retired Chief
of Police of a major city. My Brother in law is a retired SWAT
officer. My brother is a retired police Captain. These people are
humble men who believe in good will towards their fellow man. They
don't brag or flash their guns around like the simpletons in this news-
group. Big Dog is the exception because he values human life and will
defend it with a gun as a last resort to protect his loved ones. I
respect that. That is the ideal we should hold ourselves up to. I sick
and tired of the morons like you Klaus who have no respect or common
sense. You are the reason we need psychological screening for gun
owners. You couldn't past the first screening.

Klaus Schadenfreude

>RD Sandman <rdsandman[remove]@comcast.net> wrote in talk.politics.guns :

>Klaus Schadenfreude <klausschadenfreude@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>>>bigdog <jecorbett1951@yahoo.com> wrote in talk.politics.guns :

>>>I hope I never have to shoot anyone either, because it will be a
>>>situation where I could die, but if it is necessary to save my life or
>>>those near to me, I want to have the necessary hardware and skill.
>>>Nobody knows how they would react or perform in a kill or be killed
>>>situation but I do know that thousands of people every year, some with
>>>no more skill or experience in firing a weapon than I do. are able to
>>>use their firearms to defend themselves against a potentially deadly
>>>attack. I know if I am ever in such a situation, I will be better off
>>>with a gun than without one. I would rather be the windshield than the
>>>bug.
>>
>> So if he never had to shoot a man, why should we "trust him" that we
>> don't want to know what the feeling is? Did he read it in a book? See
>> it on Oprah?
>>
>> It's pretty stupid to assume that no one in this newsgroup has ever
>> killed anyone, but then, that's kinda what we've come to expect from
>> poor little Eddie.
>
>Are you talking about the man who makes a killing on the market through
>hindsight?

That's the guy. Now he's offering psychological support for "victims"
of shootings.

I'll bet we'll be hearing about a device so revolutionary "power
companies hate it" any minute now.....

Zach Beane

Andrew Berg <andrew000000001@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. Looking around I've found several different interfaces, there may be others. I'm looking for feedback about which one is kind of "best" for building an application around.
>
> I've found 3 kind-of frontrunners:
>
> CLSQL
> * Seems to be maintained
> * Includes an ORM
> * Includes FDDL for configuring schema
>
> cl-dbi
> * Seems to be maintained
> * Allows/encourages pretty straightforward SQL
> * Possibly the smallest one -- fewer bugs?
>
> Crane
> * Does not appear to be maintained
> * Appears to be kind of late-Alpha / early-Beta stage
> * Claims to handle database migrations
> * Very opinionated
>
> Thoughts?

I like to use Postmodern, which is mainly for Postgres, but its S-SQL
expression compiler can be used on other SQL servers, too, with some
tweaking.

Zach

rpw3

Zach Beane <xach@xach.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Andrew Berg <andrew000000001@gmail.com> writes:
| > I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. ...
|
| I like to use Postmodern, which is mainly for Postgres,
| but its S-SQL expression compiler can be used on other
| SQL servers, too, with some tweaking.
+---------------

I really need to look at Postmodern some time. I've heard
good things about it. But so far I've been very happy with
Eric Marsden's "pg.lisp", which is a socket-level binding
[rather than a library interface] to PostgreSQL. Yes,
it's had no major work done on it since 2006. But, hey, it
"just works".

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <http://rpw...
San Mateo, CA 94403

rwiker

Andrew Berg <andrew000000001@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. Looking around
> I've found several different interfaces, there may be others. I'm
> looking for feedback about which one is kind of "best" for building an
> application around.

If you're on Windows, its trivial to implement something on top
of the .NET libraries with RDNZL. I've been using something like that
for years, in production code, but I have no idea if it would be useful
for people who actually know anything about SQL databases.

Zach Beane

rpw3@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> Zach Beane <xach@xach.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | Andrew Berg <andrew000000001@gmail.com> writes:
> | > I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. ...
> |
> | I like to use Postmodern, which is mainly for Postgres,
> | but its S-SQL expression compiler can be used on other
> | SQL servers, too, with some tweaking.
> +---------------
>
> I really need to look at Postmodern some time. I've heard
> good things about it. But so far I've been very happy with
> Eric Marsden's "pg.lisp", which is a socket-level binding
> [rather than a library interface] to PostgreSQL. Yes,
> it's had no major work done on it since 2006. But, hey, it
> "just works".

Postmodern is also a socket interface, which I like very much. And its
DSL for SQL generation is simple and nice.

Zach

Dimitri Fontaine

Zach Beane <xach@xach.com> writes:
> Andrew Berg <andrew000000001@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm wanting to use a SQL backend to store some data. Looking around I've
>> found several different interfaces, there may be others. I'm looking for
>> feedback about which one is kind of "best" for building an application
>> around.
>
> I like to use Postmodern, which is mainly for Postgres, but its S-SQL
> expression compiler can be used on other SQL servers, too, with some
> tweaking.

+1 for Postmodern. Also PostgreSQL is the best SQL backend you will find
around, so just embrace it to its full capabilities ;-)

--
dim