comp.programming

Learning Ruby Or Python for web apps?

vaibanezjem

5/16/2016 6:49:00 PM

I have spent some time searcing and all the answers are very context driven.. This of course makes sense. I'm about to start a large project and I'm thinking I want to ditch php and move to either Python or ruby. Learning curve isn't a concern I only want the best. My main goal here is efficiency. I want the code to run as quick as possible.

I'm looking to build some cloud based apps with a plugin system to expand the functionality. It will be heavily database driven and I have a dedicated server setup to begin working on. My final step is to pick a language but I can't figure out which is best right now. Here are the things I need to take into consideration.

Future of the language - both languages seem new (relatively speaking) do they both have a strong future ahead of them? I.e. will one language be dead/deprecated in 5 years?
Performance - I've checked benchmarks here and there isn't a whole lot in the difference, it depends on what you are using it for.
Industry - is one language becoming more main stream and popular.
Standard library support - no point in a fast language that doesn't support any modern functionality.
1 Answer

rouben

In article <8c71e3f7-961d-4204-a784-3ccd606164fc@googlegroups.com>,
<vaibanezjem@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have spent some time searcing and all the answers are very context
>driven. This of course makes sense. I'm about to start a large project
>and I'm thinking I want to ditch php and move to either Python or ruby.
>Learning curve isn't a concern I only want the best. My main goal here
>is efficiency. I want the code to run as quick as possible.
>
>I'm looking to build some cloud based apps with a plugin system to
>expand the functionality. It will be heavily database driven and I have
>a dedicated server setup to begin working on. My final step is to pick a
>language but I can't figure out which is best right now. Here are the
>things I need to take into consideration.
>
>Future of the language - both languages seem new (relatively speaking)
>do they both have a strong future ahead of them? I.e. will one language
>be dead/deprecated in 5 years?
>Performance - I've checked benchmarks here and there isn't a whole lot
>in the difference, it depends on what you are using it for.
>Industry - is one language becoming more main stream and popular.
>Standard library support - no point in a fast language that doesn't
>support any modern functionality.

This is not a direct answer to your question, but it
may provide certain insight and enlightenment:

http://paulgraham.co...

--
Rouben Rostamian