comp.programming

I explain my USL program...

Ramine

4/4/2016 1:33:00 AM

Hello,

I will a little bit explain my USL program...

If you have took a look at this link:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/usl/vignett...

You will notice that the performance data for the raytracer
in the link above is the same as the performance data
inside the data.csv file inside my zip file of my USL software..

And as you have noticed in the link above the peak scalability
number is at: 449 processors.

So if you run my program against this same performance data
like this at the command prompt:

usl data.csv

So the output is of my program is:

--
Peak number is: 449.188
Predicted scalability peak is: 18.434

So as you have noticed that the peak number that
is the peak number of processors is: 449.188
this is the same result as the link above.

So my program is working correctly.

But this is not the end of the story..

You have to optimize the criterion of the cost for a better QoS,
and for this i have supplied you with a second option
called -d that you have to run for that, so you have
to type at the command prompt:

usl data.csv -d 0.3 0.1

the 0.3 is the slop of the secant with a step 0.1,
so since the step is 0.1 so this will approximate
a derivative of the USL equation that equal 0.3,
so here is the output of my program when you run
it with -d 0.3 0.1:

--
Peak number is: 449.188
Predicted scalability peak is: 18.434
Coefficient of determination R-squared is: 0.995
The derivative of the USL equation at delta(y)/delta(x)=0.300 with a
step delta(x)=0.100, gives a good approximation of a number and a
derivative delta(y)/delta (x) of: 16.600 and 0.300
--

So as you have noticed that a good approximation for the
derivative of the USL equation will arrive at the 16.600 cores

So to optimize more the criterion of the cost for a better QoS,
you have to choose a good delta(y)/delta(x) to optimize the criterion of
the cost of your system and you have to balance better between the
performance and the cost.

You can download my USL program with the source code from:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/universal-scalability-law-for-delphi-and-...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Ramine

On 4/3/2016 6:32 PM, Ramine wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I will a little bit explain my USL program...
>
> If you have took a look at this link:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/usl/vignett...
>
> You will notice that the performance data for the raytracer
> in the link above is the same as the performance data
> inside the data.csv file inside my zip file of my USL software..
>
> And as you have noticed in the link above the peak scalability
> number is at: 449 processors.
>
> So if you run my program against this same performance data
> like this at the command prompt:
>
> usl data.csv
>
> So the output is of my program is:
>
> --
> Peak number is: 449.188
> Predicted scalability peak is: 18.434
> Coefficient of determination R-squared is: 0.995
> --
>
> So as you have noticed that the peak number that
> is the peak number of processors is: 449.188
> this is the same result as the link above.
>
> So my program is working correctly.
>
> But this is not the end of the story..
>
> You have to optimize the criterion of the cost for a better QoS,
> and for this i have supplied you with a second option
> called -d that you have to run for that, so you have
> to type at the command prompt:
>
> usl data.csv -d 0.3 0.1
>

> the 0.3 is the slop of the secant with a step 0.1,

I mean: the 0.3 is the slope of the secant with a step 0.1