comp.programming

what do you think on raytracing

kenobi

3/21/2016 4:19:00 PM

are some people here maybe that had some
knowledge experiance and
are able to share some view?
5 Answers

Öö Tiib

On Monday, 21 March 2016 18:19:00 UTC+2, fir wrote:
> are some people here maybe that had some
> knowledge experiance and
> are able to share some view?

Ray tracing has been around for almost half a century and basics
of it are rather simple so everyone has perhaps tried it. Lot
of commercial CADs and at least dozen of open source ones offer
it as a feature so it is likely not worth to write a new ray tracer.

It is too expensive to produce good images real time with it unless
we have rather powerful hardware or limited scene. The transparency,
reflection, dispersion and shadow look more natural than with other
algorithms.

So if you want to add visual effects or rendered objects to movie
or picture then ray tracing gives quite good photo-realism, but if
you want to make a real time action game then other rendering
algorithms have likely better performance.

kenobi

W dniu poniedzialek, 21 marca 2016 20:42:52 UTC+1 uzytkownik Öö Tiib napisal:
> On Monday, 21 March 2016 18:19:00 UTC+2, fir wrote:
> > are some people here maybe that had some
> > knowledge experiance and
> > are able to share some view?
>
> Ray tracing has been around for almost half a century and basics
> of it are rather simple so everyone has perhaps tried it. Lot
> of commercial CADs and at least dozen of open source ones offer
> it as a feature so it is likely not worth to write a new ray tracer.
>
> It is too expensive to produce good images real time with it unless
> we have rather powerful hardware or limited scene. The transparency,
> reflection, dispersion and shadow look more natural than with other
> algorithms.
>
> So if you want to add visual effects or rendered objects to movie
> or picture then ray tracing gives quite good photo-realism, but if
> you want to make a real time action game then other rendering
> algorithms have likely better performance.

raytracing gives weird way of photorealism
(sorta syntetic look), global ilumination /radiocity gives much better (though probably still syntetic and damn slow)

meybe yet some more indepth comments (i was trying raytracing a bit, but still dont know what to think on it - doing it consumes time)

Mark Storkamp

In article <14d12e4b-9909-4840-9e08-c83929d42f67@googlegroups.com>,
fir <profesor.fir@gmail.com> wrote:

> are some people here maybe that had some
> knowledge experiance and
> are able to share some view?

povray has been around since the 80's. It's free and you can download
the source to see how they're not doing everything up to your standards.

cr88192

On 3/21/2016 11:18 AM, fir wrote:
> are some people here maybe that had some
> knowledge experiance and
> are able to share some view?

looks good for a reasonably simple design.
fairly slow, and doesn't scale all that well (almost usable on the GPU,
but you pay in other areas). this leaves it better to batch jobs where
speed isn't as much of an issue (though, some studios have basically
just used scaled up versions of game style rendering so that render
times are less painful, and on the higher end of quality faces off with
even slower technologies).

generally complex and hairy hybrids of raster rendering and fancy
lighting effects (via depth-textures and shaders, ...) are done because
they are easier to make work in real-time.

another possible hybrid would be pairing low-resolution rendering in a
raytracer with higher resolution rendering done via raster rendering
(and some hackery involving the depth buffer and shaders) so the
raytracer can do more realistic lighting without forcing an unreasonably
low resolution. it is unclear though how well it could compete with
other options.

kenobi

W dniu sobota, 26 marca 2016 04:51:41 UTC+1 uzytkownik BGB napisal:
> On 3/21/2016 11:18 AM, fir wrote:
> > are some people here maybe that had some
> > knowledge experiance and
> > are able to share some view?
> >

> looks good for a reasonably simple design.
> fairly slow, and doesn't scale all that well (almost usable on the GPU,
> but you pay in other areas). this leaves it better to batch jobs where
> speed isn't as much of an issue (though, some studios have basically
> just used scaled up versions of game style rendering so that render
> times are less painful, and on the higher end of quality faces off with
> even slower technologies).
>
> generally complex and hairy hybrids of raster rendering and fancy
> lighting effects (via depth-textures and shaders, ...) are done because
> they are easier to make work in real-time.
>
> another possible hybrid would be pairing low-resolution rendering in a
> raytracer with higher resolution rendering done via raster rendering
> (and some hackery involving the depth buffer and shaders) so the
> raytracer can do more realistic lighting without forcing an unreasonably
> low resolution. it is unclear though how well it could compete with
> other options.

i still wonder if i should invest my time in it or maybe there is something more time worthy
i made simple raytracing once, wonder if to go more into it..hard answer